1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism is not a cult

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by scotthines, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I hope those of you who click on the Founders link will read the entire article by Ernie Reisinger. It will provide context for the OP. When you read the article you will find that the problems at his church went far beyond that of not being Reformed.

Jerome has made Dr. Reisinger's plan seem sinister, under the table and in the back door. Of course, he sees it as introducing error into the church. Read the article, there was plenty of error already there.

ray Marshall says it right. If you believe in the doctrines of grace, you'd better preach it.

Does anybody think for a minute that a non-Cal preacher who comes to a church that is predominately Calvinist would hesitate for a minute to preach what he believes?

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Frankly I do not like the term Calvinism because it does excite so much bias. Also Calvin held some views that I do not consider Biblical, such as infant baptism. I prefer the term Doctrines of Grace [which Tom Nettles uses in his book, By His Grace and For His Glory] or The Sovereignty of God in Salvation. But whatever the doctrine is called I believe that the Bible clearly teaches that God before the foundation of the world elected some to salvation in Jesus Christ and these, and only these, will be saved.

3. OldRegular

Anyone who will take the time to read Tom Nettles book mentioned above will see that The Doctrines of Grace were the historical belief not only of Southern Baptists but most Baptists in this country and England. He shows the insidious movement of Arminian doctrine into the Southern Baptist Convention.

4. OldRegular

It is sad that so many Christians see Holy God as a puppet. They just jerk a string now and then.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Unless you hold to an unsecure salvation the ungodly term "arminian" does not apply. But nice pejorative. And the convention has had General Baptists and Particular Baptists since its Genesis.

#45 Revmitchell, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Calvinism is not a cult.
    According to most calvinists they don't read or follow Calvin anyhow.
    Most Calvinists follow the TULIP acrostic.
    5 point Calvinists claim to be the only true Calvinists, everybody else is an arminian.
    We should stop calling Calvinists Calvinists and start calling them TULIP's.:laugh:

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

He couldn't help himself. He was predestined to post that. :laugh:

8. OldRegular

Another reason I don't like the term Calvinism. People get hung up on TULIP and ignore the Biblical teachings of the Doctrines of Grace.