1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism Is Not...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Apr 24, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As a Calvinist I'm not afraid to say that not all the arguments that I have read by fellow Calvinists are airtight.

Some of them are forced and lacking, to be frank.

But here's what I believe: If I'm crossing an ocean, from what I've seen in Scripture, Calvinism gets me farther than any non-Calvinist position I've seen.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankfully we don't have to cross an ocean to get to the Lord, only trust in His Word. :thumbs:

Returning you to the OP.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Great analogy though since Christ has crossed the ocean of our sin for us!

In the doctrinal view nicknamed "calvinism" Christ gets us all the way across.

In other views, He only takes us across after we come to the port.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You guys have actually proved my point.

My analogy applies to understanding not the salvation experience. :laugh:

5. PK

PK New Member

I even like your analogy and I am not a Calvinist. But wouldn't Calvinist say that God only made so many boats? All the boats already have peoples names on them and they are spoken for, because even though God is the light house, He is not interested in everyones soul only a select few. At least you guys believe/think that there are more than 144,000 of them?

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

PK, my analogy only works for an understanding of soteriology, not the fine points.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bolding is mine as that is what I wanted to address.

I always wonder why it is that when God is the One who is free to choose whom He will, who is free to exercise His choice on whom He is to have mercy on, creatures always assume that God's choice will be for only a few ?

Can't we trust God to choose a big number of His fallen creatures and reject only a few ?

In fact, His own words say that the people whom John saw in heaven could not be numbered by any man.

8. PK

PK New Member

I am not the one with an "L" in my theology.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The number saved will be as the sand of the seashore, unable to be counted. But in comparison to the whole sum of the human race, it will be few.

Mat 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Bolding is mine as that is what I wanted to address.

I always wonder why it is that when God is the One who is free to choose whom He will, who is free to exercise His choice on whom He is to have mercy on, creatures always assume that God's choice will be for only a few ?

Can't we trust God to choose a big number of His fallen creatures and reject only a few ?

In fact, His own words say that the people whom John saw in heaven could not be numbered by any man.

Boy, it would be sad to be one of those few. Whether it's a few or a lot there are only a limited number of boats and I don't think that's what the scripture says. But, I'm not going to debate it. That horse is beat over and over again on this site.

11. PK

PK New Member

you need change your Bible to, "Depart from me, I never chose you."

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I might add that your theology also has an "L" in it for you believe that there will be people in hell.

Could God have not saved everyone?
    You believe in a form of limited atonement because you believe that not all sins will be atoned for.
    You believe that Christ did His part for all mankind but that many refuse and thus their debt is never paid, even though the "funds" so to speak were available.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why not let him say what he believes instead of telling him what he believes?

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am not telling him what he believes so much as I am pointing out the logical conclusion to what he has stated.
    It was in response to him saying that he did not have an "L" in his theology.

I was merely saying that he does, even if he does not realize it.
    Of course it is different that the "L" in the tulip for sure.

15. PK

PK New Member

There is no limit to atonement. I have a choice to accept it or not but I do not limit it by not choosing it. I know that's hard to understand. You speak as if your definition of "Limited" is in power? That is what I do not understand. If I chose to reject Gods atonement, I do not Limit it in any way.
    When God will say, "Depart from me I never knew you" will that be His fault or mine? If it is His than the Bible should say "I never chose you", If mine, then the wordage is correct in saying that I had the responsibility to know Christ. (I am not a Bible corrector. Just an illustration)

#15 PK, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  16. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Yeah, but TUUIP isn't a word. hahaha

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

No, there is no limit in power. Only in scope.

I do not think that you believe that the unsaved have their sins forgiven do you?

I think you would believe that Christ's death made it possible to forgive their sins but their sins were not yet forgiven until they believe.
    If they never believe, then they will never have their sin debt forgiven.

The other option is that there will be people with their sins totally forgiven in hell.
    I do not think you believe that one.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is incorrect, however the Bible does say God has chosen us:

19. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Isn't it terrible when the bible refutes what someone believes? Very good point Dale.
    God has chosen us and caused us to be born again. Why is that so hard to believe?
    God has not chosen everyone and not all will be saved. Those who scream at limited attonement are screaming at themselves.... and of course scripture.

20. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

How Christian of you. Why would you tell someone they need to change the word of God?

Should you change yours to "and I caused myself to be born again?"