1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism is the best system

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jarthur001, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The laugh of the day.

Get specific.

The atonement in Scripture is of a definite nature. It has a certain scope. Christ died for the Church -- otherwise known as His Bride or the Elect, His Beloved, His Sheep. He died for no one outside of that group. He died only for those whose names were written in the Lamb's Book of Life which was recorded long before the earth was formed.

Your crass statements show a limited knowledge of the subject.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calvin 3:16-17, "All Calvinism is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work?"

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Also there is this one;

(Calvin 5:44) "But I say unto you, hate your enemies, curse them that curse you, do evil to them that hate you, and pray for death to them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

I find it ironic that some believe Calvin to be a great Christian theologian when it appears he could not even understand the simple gospel of love that Jesus preached.

:jesus:

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

All . . . .isms are incomplete.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You do not believe that Jesus death on the cross was efficacious for all for all time? Could you cite a passage in scripture to prove your point?

I am having a hard time seeing the world in Jn 3:16-17 as a small percentage of those on the earth. Can you point me to a source such as a lexicon or Greek text where the world is less then the world.

[quoteYour crass statements show a limited knowledge of the subject.[/QUOTE]Perhaps, but I am waiting for your correction from the the Bible if you are suggesting that I am wrong.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think the phrase exceedingly scriptural is perfection or something?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need an attitude adjustment. Please reference where Calvin said he hated Servetus.

Countless folks from all over the world and several centuries. As a matter of fact a young man I just met at church this morning brought the subject up -- not me. He said :"I love the Institutes!"

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made no such claim. That's called lying GB.

You find it difficult to tell the truth, don't you? Quote anywhere in which I said that. Start being honest for a change.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you not write, "Christ died for the Church -- otherwise known as His Bride or the Elect, His Beloved, His Sheep. He died for no one outside of that group. He died only for those whose names were written in the Lamb's Book of Life which was recorded long before the earth was formed."

Isn't that less than all?

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to the above! Do you disagree with what I wrote? It is very scriptural.

Sure it's less than all.

But you put words in my mouth saying: "a small percentage of those on the earth."

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: You believe a lie Rippon. Scripture nowhere represents the death of Christ as being made specifically and particularly 'only' for the elect. Limited atonement runs at direct antipodes with the clear teachings of Scripture and is a kingpin theological point, as false as it is, of the false system of Calvinism.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is your defense for Calvin's lack of understanding the gospel? The man wanted Servetus dead because of the man's religious views and you ask "where did Calvin say he hated Servetus?"

Do you have anything else or do you intend to stick with this one?

What I would like to know is why Calvin did not understand the gospel of love Jesus spoke of?

Do you have anything to post from the man that would suggest he understood the gospel?

And these all realize Calvin did not obey the gospel of Jesus Christ in his zeal? I do not think much of a man who does not live the faith. Anyone can get some scripture correct here and there, but as Paul preached, without charity it is worthless. Servetus found this out when he seen professing Christians lighting a fire under him.

:jesus:

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rationally I agree with you but I am unable to find one place in scripture where "God said" or even implied your statement. I would challenge you to find one.

If you believe that Christ only died for the church then that is the narrow gate and those enter through that gate is a small percentage of the world.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's your view and you can stick with it if you'd like. I tend to think that Christ died for the Church alone -- not the Church & everyone else.

I tend to think that He died for His Sheep alone -- not the Sheep & everyone else.

I tend to thnk He did not die for those whom He did not pray for.

I tend to think He did not die for those who He does not know.

You make a mockery of the Scripture to believe the reverse.

Yes, He died for the believing ones alone. And why do they believe? Because He causes them to.

Yes, Christ's sacrifice of atonement was an international one. He did not die for those within the Jewish nation alone -- but for those among the Gentiles scattered among the tribes,nations and languages of the earth.

And when Christ propitiates -- that removes God's wrath from individuals. Christ bears their punishment. These individuals will not have their sins propitiated only to have to endure an eternity of suffering in perdition for their sins. Christ bore their sins on the cross once and for all. So obviously He did not bear the sins of each and every person head-for-head. He died for His elect ones. They alone are the ones whose names are inscribed in the Lamb's Book of Life.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What statement are you referencing?

You tend to make things up and apply those words of your own creation to me.

The Church is not the narrow gate.

"Small percentage" is your invention. I do believe that a minority of everyone who has,is and shall live will be in glory. But not a "small percentage" as you continually say.

Nevertheless, the few who will inhabit Heaven will be a multitude which no man can number. So stop your John Wesley routine.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am still asking that question of you. But apparently you can't come up with any documentation that would bear out your lame charge.

Read his Institutes,commentaries and sermons. It's undeniable that he knew the Gospel very well.

Well, I dare say God thinks differently. Little steaver will have to eat his words one day.

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Just curious as to what 'routine' you are alluding to.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course the church is not a gate. It is the church. It is the church that has entered through the narrow gate. The Bible tells the number who will enter through that gate.

Mt. 7:13-14, "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."

I think your rationalistic thinking about the Bible has overtaken the meaning of scripture as it was written.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say that he knew scripture better than you. You have continued to put words in Calvin's writings that were never there.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calvinism may be the best system for eisegesis at best which leads one away from the meaning of the text.