1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism Misrepresents the Meaning of Death

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JD731, Sep 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spiritually dead refers to being able to connect with God on a spiritual level, not physical one!

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What gets born again in us then, and are we really sinners under judgement?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before Salvation yes but after Salvation no We are never under sin again because we cannot sin. Why? Because the saved wear the righteousness of Christ. You see I believe that eternal life is eternal. This means it cannot ever be changed or shortened.
    MB

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still don't understand. Being spiritually dead means nothing more than being separated from God. If you want to believe that a spiritually dead man cannot speak to God or understand His gospel and you believe that ADAM died spiritually then you need to deal with Adam and Cain speaking with God after they sinned. Because you also believe that a dead man cannot speak to God to ask if He would save a spiritually dead man
    MB.

5. graciecat

graciecat Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This one is interesting, it caught my attention.

6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, I suggest that you define what it is to be a "Calvinist",
    because many people on this forum tend to pin that label on others, not realizing that many of the ones they call "Calvinists" have never really read John Calvin...

And if they have, they don't subscribe to all of the things that he may have taught.
    They read the Bible and decide for themselves what to believe.
    They do not take their cues from John Calvin.

For the purposes of discussion, I think we might agree that those you label "Calvinists" would all hold to what is called "TULIP" as a brief summary of how they view salvation being accomplished.
    Secondly,
    Where do these ideas of "logic" and reason come from?

I can understand the word "reason"...
    It means to sit down and talk to one another.

But "logic"?
    Is that another way of saying "man's wisdom" done man's way?
    No it would not, at least not to me.
    Why?

Scripture nowhere states that the Holy Spirit indwelt him, nor did it depart him.
    If you can find one, post it...I'll be glad to take a look at it.

#26 Dave G, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not aware of any place in the Bible that states that the Lord Jesus ever stopped knowing His Father.
    As far as I know, the Lord Jesus only died physically on the cross.
    He then rose again the 3rd day according to the Scriptures.

The Spirit of God never did leave Him alone.
    If you have a passage that shows it, please list where the Lord Jesus ever stopped knowing God the Father.
    Spiritual death is much more than that.
    But in the interests of proving it, let's start first with this question:

What is it to be alive in Christ?
    What is life, spiritually?

" as thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
    3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."
    ( John 17:2-3 ).

There's the answer from God's word itself...

Life is to know God, spiritually.
    Where does that knowledge start?

" The fear of the Lord [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction." ( Proverbs 1:7 )

8. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it, here is spiritual death described from the Scriptures...
    Not only is it a lack of knowing God, is it this:

" because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened."
    ( Romans 1:21 ).

" This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
    18 having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
    19 who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness."
    ( Ephesians 4:17-19 ).

There it is...

1) Vain imaginations ( 2 Corinthians 10:5 ).
    2) Having the understanding darkened, from God's point of view.
    3) Being alienated ( separated ) from the life of God through ignorance.
    4) being blind in our hearts towards God.
    5) Being past feeling and giving ourselves over into lusts and to sin with greediness.
    Those that you call "Calvinists" do not teach that we as men cannot reason, think and believe things.

Respectfully, I suggest that instead of stating your opinion, I think you might actually ask what it is that they see the Bible teaching.
    From my own perspective, and since you'd probably call me a "Calvinist", I can tell you that in all honesty, I do not believe that mankind are robots...
    Unable to reason and think and believe things.

I think that even unbelieving men and women can and do make willful decisions every day.
    But given the definition of death as found in the Scriptures, please explain to me what would make a person who has had their mind darkened by sin and vanity and has not known God, to suddenly turn around and seek Him.

#28 Dave G, Sep 29, 2020
  9. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must say I am very disappointed that no one has dealt with the reason and logic that I presented in my op concerning death and life. I have read all the comments thus far. God has asked us to reason with him concerning this salvation. Let me try again.

I want to bring up the subject of the image of God here but I do not want to deal with it in depth now. I will do that in a later post. I bring it up now to state a Bible fact the two men in scripture were said to be made in the image of God are Adam and our Lord Jesus. These two men have several things in common but I will list just a few.

1) Both had a body prepared by God. We know about Adam but in the epistle to the Hebrews the writer says that God prepared the body of the Lord Jesus.
    2) Both these men were called the son of God. We know that is true of our Lord Jesus but Adam is called the son of God in Lk 3:38.
    3) Both of these men were heads of families
    4) Both these men had the Spirit of God dwelling in their physical bodies.

Now I want to talk about point #4. Let’s reason about this a minute. We are told in John 3 that God gave not the Spirit by measure unto Jesus Christ. John said “in him was life.” Beside the fact that Adam was created in the image of God, which was trinitarian, it was said of him that he would die in the day he ate the forbidden fruit. Reason and logic will come into play when and if one understands what life is and if they believe the scriptures that says Adam died the day he ate the fruit. If he believes that he will reason that in order for a person to die he must first have life. That is simple logic. We know that anywhere Adam was there God was with him because he was dwelling in his body. The presence of God is life. I proved that in my op but here is a verse that is dealing with the Spirit of God, life, sonship, and the image of God and it says the following:

Romans 8:10
    And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Reason: the BODY is dead because of sin. Does that mean the body cannot function because it is dead. No, it functions without spiritual life. It functions when the soul is in it but not the Spirit of God. What does being dead mean then. Well if life is in it when the Spirit is in it then it is reasonable to believe that death means the absence of the Spirit. I quoted Titus 3:5 in my op to show that the believer in Jesus has his sin washed away when we are regenerated by the Spirit. Regenerated means to be born again. In Revelation 1:5 we are told that we are washed from our sins in the blood of Jesus Christ. If you have a Bible that does not say that in Re 1:5 you should sue the person who sold you that corruption. God cannot dwell in a body where there is sin. The blood of Jesus Christ is the only cleansing agent for sin. This brings me back to Adam and his death in the day he sinned. The Spirit of God was in his body and he, that is his soul, was in his body and he had life and I am quite sure that his body was glorious, that is that it shined as a body clothed in light. This is the nature of the body of the Lord Jesus when he was quickened by the Spirit on resurrection morning. How else could Adam be naked and need no clothes until he sinned?

Therefore, because of this reasoning it is logical to believe that Adam dying when he ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil means that the life that God breathed into him departed because of the sin and because Jesus Christ, the last Adam, took away sin by willingly putting himself under its condemnation on behalf of all men and dying as our substitute, has reconciled God and man and and can give life, the quickening Spirit, to anyone who will receive it by simply believing what God says about receiving anyone and everyone who comes to him in the name of Jesus Christ and by trusting in his sacrifice on the cross and his resurrection from the dead.

Death is separation. Adam was not dead spiritually and then he died. He could not have died unless he was alive. Then 930 years later he died physically. What happened? There was a separation of his soul and his body. His soul went to what the scriptures call “his long home” and his body went back to the dust. Therefore, all three parts of Adam were separated and Adam was dead. He is now awaiting the resurrection when all three parts will be gathered back together and Adam will live, both spiritually and physically because both the Spirit of God and his soul will occupy his resurrected body when in this body there will be no possibility of sinning.

Please consider my points and please do not just try to defend your theological system at the sake of the truth.

#29 JD731, Sep 29, 2020
  10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question or two or three

KJV Matt 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. - What does that mean? ------------------------- With what?

YLT John 7:39 and this he said of the Spirit, which those believing in him were about to receive; for not yet was the Holy Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified. - What does that mean?
    YLT John 16:7 'But I tell you the truth; it is better for you that I go away, for if I may not go away, the Comforter will not come unto you, and if I go on, I will send Him unto you;

YLT & I took out the words in italic 2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
    YLT Matt 27:46 and about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a great voice, saying, 'Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?' that is, 'My God, my God, why didst Thou forsake me?'
    YLT Luke 23:46 and having cried with a loud voice, Jesus said, 'Father, to Thy hands I commit my spirit;' and these things having said, he breathed forth the spirit. - Talk to me a little about the Anointed.

YLT Matt 3:16 (1) And having been baptized, Jesus (2) went up immediately from the water, and lo, opened to him were the heavens, and he saw (3) the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him, and lo, a voice out of the heavens, saying,(4) 'This is My Son -- the Beloved, in whom I did delight.'

!, Does this picture the death of Jesus?
    2. Does this picture Jesus being made alive, 1 Peter 3:18 quickened in the Spirit, resurrection? The last Adam.
    3. ? What does this picture?
    4. Does this picture, Thou art my Son this day have I begotten thee?

YLT Acts 2: 'This Jesus did God raise up, of which we are all witnesses; at the right hand then of God having been exalted -- also the promise of the Holy Spirit having received from the Father -- he was shedding forth this, which now ye see and hear; assuredly, therefore, let all the house of Israel know, that both Lord and Christ did God make him -- this Jesus whom ye did crucify.'
    YLT Acts 13:33 God hath in full completed this to us their children, having raised up Jesus, as also in the second Psalm it hath been written, My Son thou art -- I to-day have begotten thee.

More,
    for I delivered to you first, what also I did receive, that Christ died for our sins, according to the Writings, and that he was buried, and that he hath risen on the third day, according to the Writings, 1 Cor 15:3,4
    V 17 and if Christ hath not risen, vain is your faith, ye are yet in your sins; - If Christ be not risen out of the dead your sins have not been washed away in his blood.

and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the first-born out of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth; to him who did love us, and did bathe us from our sins in his blood, Rev 1:5 - A bathing of regeneration

(not by works that are in righteousness that we did but according to His kindness,) He did save us, through a bathing of regeneration, and a renewing of the Holy Spirit, Titus 3:5 YLT
    V 6 which He poured upon us richly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour,

Again Acts 2:32.33 'This Jesus did God raise up, of which we are all witnesses; at the right hand then of God having been exalted -- also the promise of the Holy Spirit having received from the Father -- he was shedding forth this, which now ye see and hear;

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is hard to reason about something when the basic FACTS have not been established.
    You have not demonstrated that both men (Jesus and Adam) "had the Spirit of God dwelling in their physical bodies", so I "know" no such thing and everything that follows based on point number 4 is a house of cards built on a foundation of sand.

I suggest starting by defining "the Spirit of God", which could be as simple as "God breathed breath" into Adam to as profound as the Second person of the Trinity (Jesus) was indwelt by the Third person of the Trinity (the Holy Spirit). Those two statement are NOT equivalent and it is dishonest to treat them as equivalent events as an apriori assumption.

12. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    really? and what Bible text tells you that? Have you read what the Apostle John says?

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us" (1 John 1:8-10)

This is written to born-again Christians, who AFTER they were saved, were still struggling with their personal sins.

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is far too much unbiblical stuff in the OP to even begin to address. It is obvious that the person this belongs to does not understand basic Bible "theology".

• Like Like x 1
  14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    WRONG!

Isaiah 59:2, "But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear."

1 John 1:8-10, "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us"

SIN does separate any born-again Christian from the Holy God of the Bible, which is why we have to "confess our sins", daily.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you sin? if so you are under the Law. Those who are saved are not under the Law. Not to mention
    1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    I believe in OSAS Salvation is for eternal life. What part of eternal don't you understand. Eternity has no ending it never stops it just keeps on going. I believe it is you who wants to place us back under the Law. Of course we commit the acts of sin yet it is not counted against us.

Rom_4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Otherwise in 1st Jn 3:9 condemns us all the first time we sin and everyone sins even you. One thing for certain your still under the Law what makes you think you can live up to the Law. I do not believe fpr a minute that you can. You mis read my post which is why you didn't post all of it and this shows dishonesty. Think about it
    MB

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    sadly the English versions do not correctly render the Greek, "πας ο γεγεννημενος εκ του θεου αμαρτιαν ου ποιει"

The verb "ποιει", is the present participle, as in "habitual sinning", does not have a "life-style" of sinning. 1 John 1:8-10 clears this up and responds to you.

New Living Translation
    Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God.

New International Version
    No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God

English Standard Version
    No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

New American Standard Bible
    No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong this verse below come from the YLT The first time I quoted it was from the KJV.
    1Jn 3:9 every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain, and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten.

This is a word for word translation and is accurate. I see you don't use the KJV maybe you should it's accuracy is much better than the ones you have quoted from.
    Do me a favor don't falsely accuse me again.
    By the way I'm not in the least impressed by you hokie pokie with you translating from the Greek I doubt you know even a small percentage of what you want people to think.

MB

#37 MB, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  18. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you atpollard for your interest in knowing these wonderful Bible truths enough to ask questions about them. By God's wonderful grace I know the answers to your questions because I believe the WORDS the scriptures give me and have learned that all of them have context I am not making up words and phrases that are not in the scriptures and then teaching them to others as if God said them.

The Holy Spirit, most often called in my Bible :the "Holy Ghost" is God. God presents himself in scripture as a trinity and all his creation bears his trinitarian signature. He says to Israel at one time "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:" Deut 6:4. Our Lord quoted this in Mark 12:29 when he said
    " The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:" We know however that Jesus Christ is God and he came to us in the form of a man and the Holy Ghost was in him. Now, because I think most here believes in the trinity nature of God I am not going to try to prove something you already believe. However, I will call your attention to what the scripture says about Jesus Christ in the following statement.

Col 2:8C ......and not after Christ.
    9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
    10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power

Jesus said his body was a temple. You cannot deny it, because it is what he said; Here:

Jn 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
    21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

We know from reading the scriptures that God dwells in a temple. But look what he says here;

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

What we know about the body of Jesus Christ. With his own mouth he says his body is a temple and we know the Spirit of God dwells in a temple not made with hands. We know from Jn 1 that the Spirit dwelt in him before the crucifixion and that he was the agent of his quickening of his body after the crucifixion because he says here;

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

The word also means in addition to. 1 Pet 3:18 says the Spirit quickened the body of Jesus. We are promised that our bodies will be glorified as his was at his resurrection and you can look at these two scriptures to know it is true.

1) Phil 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
    21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
    2) 1 John 3: 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

As his body is a temple, so are ours.

1 Cor 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
    1 Cor 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Corporately, the church is a body of one made up of many members and is the eternal temple of the Holy Ghost.

19 Now therefore ye (gentile believers in Jesus as per context) are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints (Jewish believers in Jesus as per context), and of the household of God;
    20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
    21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
    22 In whom ye also are builded together (Jew and gentile) for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

1 Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.

I have departed from my subject of death in the scriptures to give you this information on the Spirit of God. I will be going back to my subject next. This will include what God meant by his breathing the breath of life into Adam when he was created.

19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::Laugh:Laugh:Laugh:D:D:D

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What disability results from being "made sinners" as a consequence of the Adam choosing to eat the forbidden fruit. We were conceived in iniquity. (Psalms 51:5) Our iniquities have causes a separation from God. (Isaiah 59:2) Can we do anything that would cause us to be saved? Nope, Romans 9:16. Does our "sinful state of separation" result in us being unable to will to be saved or attempt to earn God's favor through works? Nope, Romans 9:16

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.