1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism more evangelistic?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Then you should share it with all you witness to. Tell them they may not be chosen.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's foreseen faith. You say that God saves people who are in Christ who got in Christ because they chose to believe. That's foreseen faith, and like it or not- those few make up God's elect in your system as much as in ours. You still have God electing to save a few and leaving the rest to perish as much as we have.

And BTW NO Calvinist believes God does ANYTHING arbitrarily. God has his own purposes and he does not have to reveal them unto us. But they are certainly NOT arbitrary.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When some say calvinism is the gospel they mean the system of teaching brings the whole man [dead in sin] to the Whole Christ[alive forever more]
    It is exciting to realize that everyday God might use you to plant the seed of the word into someone who is outside the kingdom,yet trust that God will accomplish his purpose with His word;

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you're saying that God decided that whoever stepped on the escalator would be saved. It is our choice to step on the escalator if we wish. It is wholly our decision to be saved or not? God has no hand in it whatsoever?

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I do with a lot but your saying that I should with "all" is very flawed logic.

I believe that each person of the Godhead Trinity is involved in the economy of redemption and therefore the Trinity is a vital part of the Gospel- but I do not teach a discourse on the Trinity before I lead someone to Christ.

Do you? Because you believe that God the Father sent God the Son to save the world and that God the Spirit works in the hearts of men to save them- you believe that that is the Gospel do you not??

If you do, then according to your logic you ought to do a six week course on the Trinity before you pray with someone.

The Trinity is part of the Gospel as is Calvinism. But one does not have to understand all of either to the fullest to be saved. In fact very little is necessary to be understood to be saved.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I never said that. And you don't really think that either. You know that I believe we are saved by grace, through faith and nothing else. But God gives us a choice to receive or reject. That is all over the Bible.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Really? You actually tell people they may not be one of the chosen?

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amy,
    It is good that you have a passion to see souls saved,I think we all agree on this:1_grouphug:

you said;
    yes....without faith it is impossible to please Him Heb11

then you said;
    Jesus said this in Jn 3;
    Can you see it? It is not "their decision "....in unbelief they are standing as dead men walking...condemned...But God;

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, but God saves those who step on the escalator - but they need to step on the escalator and there is nothing God can do to make sure they get there. At least that's the belief that I've heard from those who do not believe in the doctrine of grace - and the belief that I was taught for many years when I was a younger believer.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. God draws through creation, His word, His witnesses, the gospel, and the power of the Holy Spirit. Man has no excuse. Romans 1. If man had no choice, he would have an excuse.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's basically it, I think, Ann.

Most of them nowadays will say that God has to draw the sinner but that the sinner still does the choosing. It is not up to God whether or not the sinner gets on. It is up to the sinner. Of course the problem with that is that the sinner will NEVER choose to get on. NEVER. The sinner has to be regenerated before he will ever choose to get on. He is unwilling until God changes his heart and makes him willing.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes. I baptized a former Catholic just week before last who was converted under that kind of preaching. I baptized nine this year under that kind of preaching.

You believe God has his chosen few too. You believe that the person to whom you are speaking may very well and probably is not part of God's elect. You believe that too Amy. Do you tell them??

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you had told me (before I was saved) that I may not have been one of the chosen for salvation, I would have walked away and said what's the use. God will either save me or He won't.

You and I don't agree on how or why God elects.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That would be silly. Because I would say the same thing, hopefully, that you would say. Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved and whosoever cometh to Christ he will in NO wise cast out.

The elect will believe. If you believe- TA DAAAA!! Your the elect. God's elect will follow him. If you do not believe and if you never believe then guess what... you are not God's elect.

How in the world could you possibly have any problem whatsoever with that kind of Gospel presentation??

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.