1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism: more evangelistic?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Yep, he did. And here's a list of other Calvinists who share that belief:

John Gill
    A. H. Strong
    Jonathan Edwards
    To sum up, man always acts freely within his nature.

Even if we see this question differently, we have a clear, unmistakable mandate to carry the gospel wherever we go, and wherever we can. When Jesus said "you shall be my witnesses, in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth," it was not just a mandate. It was an assumption that believers would be witnesses as a natural outgrowth of their faith.

#21 Tom Butler, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

So you're saying that Jonathan Edwards believed man has freewill?

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, it looks like I got my numbers mixed up. The PCA site says:
    and...
    I apologize.

But the math still has the PCA, a thoroughly clavinistic denomination, far more evangelistic than the SBC.

Especially when you consider that the 600 does not include the, perhaps considerable, number of PCA missionaries who work with other Presby organizations besides Mission to the World.

#23 Luke2427, Nov 11, 2011
  4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Someone on this board recently said that if a person doesn't have a complete knowledge through much study and references on a subject that they should remain silent.

Maybe you should listen to your own preaching.

John

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Famous Calvinist that were evangelistic.

Adoniram Judson – Famous Missionary
    William Carey – Father of modern missions
    John Bunyan – Pilgrim’s Progress
    Charles Spurgeon – Famous Baptist Preacher “Prince of Preachers”
    Luther Rice - - Missionary to India
    John Newton – Hymn Writer “Amazing Grace”
    Isaac Watts – Many hymns including “Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed?”
    Jonathan Edwards – Missionary “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”
    George Whitfield – Evangelist, big part of the Great Awakening
    Augustus Toplady – Hymn Writer “Rock of Ages”
    John Eliot – Missionary to American Indians
    William Cowper – Hymn Writer “There is a Fountain filled with Blood”
    Joseph Hart – Hymn Writer “Come, Ye Sinners”
    Matthew Henry – Commentator
    John Patton - Missionary
    David Brainerd – Missionary
    John Foxe – Foxe’s Book of Martyrs

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

As a former Calvinist myself, I will gladly concede the point that Calvinists are just as evangelistic as non-Calvinists, but I must take issue with this statement.

In 2010:
    PCA reported 1455 churches with 346 thousand members
    SBC has over 37,000 churches with over 16 million members

That stat in itself should tell you something about the evangelistic growth over the life span of these two denominations.

PCA reported 7935 baptisms in 2010 (2621 Adult baptisms and 5314 infant) (about 5.5 per church)
    SBC reported 332,321 baptisms in 2010 (about 9 per church)

At last count the Southern Baptist Convention employed 4,857 "home" missionaries (in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, Guam, American Samoa, and the Virgin Islands) and 4,137 foreign missionaries (in 130 nations), for a total of nearly nine thousand missionaries worldwide.

So, to claim the PCA is more evangelistic than the SBC is kind of like saying your local pee-wee football team likes playing football more than the Dallas Cowboys. I think we can both admit both teams like playing football and pointing out their game stats doesn't prove one of them likes it more.

7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

The stat is a little deceptive. The SBC is over 150 years old. The PCA began in December of 1973. As well, the SBC began with a large number of churches as a result of great revivals in the 18th and 19th Century, many of which began with Calvinistic origins. The PCA began with a 260 churches who left the PC-USA. So, I think they have done fairly well.

As for Baptisms, that is distinctly a Baptist criterion. The fact is, most of the people SBCers baptized last year cannot be found.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here's the quote again:
    Did I quote him incorrectly?

9. preacher4truth

That's cute Tom, I've already read it once. It's taken out of context.

The failure here is you've made an error not knowing that Edwards is simply defining what freewill would mean and can't mean in the early pages of his book. He also show errors of other theologies in their definitions.

Do I need to ask my question again?

#29 preacher4truth, Nov 11, 2011
  10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He is not interested in the facts, he just wants to oppose that which he does not understand

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No. Your point is valid. I did not excerpt the Edwards quote directly from his book, but from another writing which quoted him. So I went directly to Edwards writing, and found that you are correct. Thanks for helping put it in perspective.

In the meantime, I think the others I quoted are good examples of the point I was making.

12. preacher4truth

Appreciated.

I think if you take a good long gander at Gill, he is saying mans will is in bondage, that a person can make choices in many things, but spiritually that man is in bondage to sinful desires, and without divine aid (which he does believe) will not spiritually make the right choice.

The will of Christ, glorified saints, angels: free. Gill clarifies this.

The freedom of "human actions" that he mentions is not spiritual freedom, it is merely human actions. He is comparing from one freedom to another, human actions to spiritual, to draw distinction. He then in his last statement that you've supplied, is comparing the wicked (lost) from the spiritual (saved.)

Jesus teaches us that we are not free, but in Him we will be free as per John 8.

Apologies for getting the OP off-track.

#32 preacher4truth, Nov 11, 2011
  13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That's why I was careful to say that man operates freely within his nature. A lost man's will is truly in bondage to his sinful nature, and his choices will fall within that nature.

That's why I also hold that when the Holy Spirit regenerates and gives us a new nature, then we operate freely within our new nature.

14. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Tom,

This is taken slightly out of context. I would have you read the entire "Freedom of the Will." It is a glorious exposition of Reformed Theology. Instead of going against "Bondage of the Will", the "Freedom of the Will" continues along the same line of thought.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You may have a point here- I am not certain yet. What I do now is question it until you can verify it.

WHAT should that tell us?

Does this take into consideration that the SBC was far more Calvinistic in her moorings than anything else?

This may support what you are saying, but once again, I am not yet convinced.

I question it because the SBC is on the decline by the count of multiplied tens o thousands every year for the past several years.

It seems to me to be the policy of MANY SBC churches to rush people into the baptistry waters to boast the numbers but in reality these people are not converted.
    I base this on the fact that SBC has 16 million members but about 10 million of them do not show up for church every Sunday.

Also, this ought to be taken into consideration:

The actual decline in SBC membership may be more pronounced than these statistics indicate because Baptist churches, unlike United Methodist, Presbyterian and Evangelical Lutheran congregations, are not required to remove inactive members from their rolls.

This is not as many per member as the number of missionaries which the PCA employs.

This wrong. They are both playing in the same league (our culture) and the much smaller, younger team is advancing the ball an eighth as much as the MUCH MUCH bigger team.

What this means is that the much smaller team is being coached better and playing harder.

Yea, the much bigger team is making more ground- but it takes about 3200 members to send out out 1 foreign missionary in the SBC whereas it takes only 500 members to send out 1 foreign missionary in the PCA.

The SBC has more players because it is older and has had some great glory days in the past to bring it to where it is today (and probably because it used to play a lot more like the PCA plays today) but it is not playing as hard or as efficiently as the PCA.

#35 Luke2427, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of Baptism, I have a problem with a new Pastor. The guy wants me to be rebaptised....I think he needs a baptism quota to look good to his local church & RB Denom.

I think the ideas is absurd frankly. He was told I need instruction but this he never has the time to do however he can peddle Baptism (to me its cheap grace). Like he has baptised a known drug pusher who used it as a way to excuse his behavior (and this individual isnt a confirmed believer). I guess Im being a skeptic but I dont really trust this pastor. Im seriously considering leaving this church but the next closest church is another 25 miles away, more towards NYC

17. Skandelon

Please don't misunderstand my intent. I'm not attempting to deny how well the PCA has done, I'm only attempting to show how ridiculous the claim that it is "more evangelistic" than the SBC, when the facts just don't bare that out. My pointing out its size difference was in effort to show how they are apples and oranges (like the little league football team and Dallas Cowboys compare). Both groups clearly support and actively participate in evangelism despite their "success" rate and stats. (just as both teams like football)

Well, I could have used the Professions of Faith of the PCA but those numbers were actually lower than the number of baptisms and I was attempting to be a "fair" as possible in the comparison. Again, I don't believe the comparison of stats in this regard proves anything regarding either groups desire to reach the lost, but I think it disproves the contention that the PCA can be considered "more evangelistic" based on stats alone.

18. Skandelon

Then your argument goes to prove effectiveness in evangelism not motivation or desire for evangelism. I was only taking issue with your claim that one group is "more evangelistic" because of their theological perspective than the other.

One could argue that the decline in Baptisms and membership of the SBC is directly related to the current resurgence of Calvinism within the SBC, which has some parallels. I don't believe that to be the case personally, but, then again, I'm not the one attempting to use subjective growth stats to prove evangelistic fervor based upon one's soteriology.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then we need to define our terms.

What do we mean by evangelistic.

If we mean fervor for the Great Commission then my stats and arguments hold.

If we mean sheer number of professions- then your stats prove your point.

I am saying that PCA has more evangelistic fervor than SBC at this point in history and the stats prove it.

No. One could not sensibly argue that- because there are actual SBC stats that show that Calvinist SBC churches are at least baptizing as many per capita as non-calvinistic SBC churches.

I don't provide the site here because I think most of us are familiar with it,; but I will if you request it.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK so it's not 1,400, but just 600.

Now let's examine the other part of your claim:

"1400 missionaries on the field!!!"

The SBC number is referring "field personnel".

Is the PCA number likewise referring to "field personnel"? Notice that nearly 1/4 are listed as "other" (working in everything from "administration" to "nurture")

Perhaps someone conversant in denominational bureaucratic lingo could clarify, but it appears to me that this PCA "missionaries" figure is encompassing all kinds of support staff, while the SBC figure isn't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.