1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism: more evangelistic?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Preacher4truth...

Red Herring

NOBODY believes in a "sinners magic formula"

Apparently Calvininists must think we do. You guys need to get your act together and find out what we REALLY believe.

Any lost person who sincerely "calls upon the Lord" through prayer, for mercy and salvation...will be saved.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I knew you were unteachable. I KNOW what "you all" teach and "REALLY" believe, because I was one, and was affiliated with those like you. They (you) in fact do use the sinners prayer as if it has some magical power.

It's not taught in Scripture, neither is it asked "would you like to go to heaven?" It's an unscriptural methodology, and obviously, one employed by you which further proves I (we) do know what you REALLY believe.

Show me in Scripture where at the preaching of the Gospel, those who were saved were lead in this prayer. You can't do it and instead resort to innuendoes and disparaging comments. I am beginning to see this as a pattern in your behavior.

3. Alive in Christ

ha ha ha

If my signature bothers you..dont read it. :wavey:

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leading through a prayer. . .manipulative, unScriptural, its useage should be mocked?

You mean something like this:

"breathe an earnest prayer to God, saying, "God be merciful to me a sinner. Lord, I need to be saved. Save me. I call upon thy name." Join with me in prayer at this moment, I entreat you. Join with me while I put words into your mouths, and speak them on your behalf—"Lord, I am guilty. I deserve thy wrath. Lord I cannot save myself. Lord, I would have a new heart and a right spirit, but what can I do? Lord, I can do nothing, come and work in me to will and to do of thy good pleasure." —Charles Spurgeon, "A Free Grace Promise"

5. preacher4truth

It doesn't bother me, (and there isn't enough in you that you could come up with that would ever bother me) it simply reinforces the concept that you're unteachable, and we all know what the Scriptures say about such a person. Congrats on your inability to accept instruction. :thumbsup:

6. preacher4truth

Do you have any Scripture that shows any person lead through this prayer when the Gospel was preached?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

There is no magic formula for salvation. A broken and contrite heart, God will not despise. That's what God looks at, the heart.

I have witnessed the "magical prayer" though and I knew when it happened that it was wrong. This happened almost 30 years ago. I was a baby Christian and if I witnessed this today I would stop it dead in it's tracks. I haven't seen it since. It was done by a Baptist associate pastor in a friend of mine's home during visitation. It went something like this:
    Do you want to go to heaven?
    Yes.
    Repeat this prayer after me....bla bla bla....you are saved.

Horrible. I have no idea if this pastor was Cal or non though. :laugh:

8. preacher4truth

That is exactly what I am speaking of. It is totally wrong, it is not even close to preaching the Gospel of Christ. As a matter of fact it is a disgrace to do so, and is a shameful, sinful methodology.

#68 preacher4truth, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

All that I can personally testify to in this regard is that I grew up without the direct influence of the lord/Bible/Church, read Hal Lindsey and watch Billy Graham a lot, but it did not 'click" to me until frshman year in College, where the Lord used SBC persons to witness to me, and the HS allowed me to realise jesus atoned for me, and received Him by faith, and was transformed that moment...

next morning, tried to "jam" my hard rock. did not sound "right" anymore to me!

started up working with teen ministry on campus, so there was a definite change in my mindset regarding Chrsit and the Bible!

Eventually ended up helping out good friend Robert with prison Ministry in the Saginaw MI Jail!

10. Alive in Christ

Preacher4truth...

Unteachable by YOU, and the bedrock errors of Calvinism??

Yes. Totally unteachable. You better believe it.

Teachable by Christ, the Holy Spirit and good solid (non-calvinistic) teachers?

I am very VERY teachable, and always will be.

But I appreciate your concern.

11. preacher4truth

Yes, you most certanly are, and I believe you. Now "than," go and play your banjo. Buh-bye! :wavey: :laugh:

#71 preacher4truth, Nov 15, 2011
  12. JesusFan

You mean that you do NOT want to learn the Theology espoused by our Lord and his band, peter/paul/james and John?

13. preacher4truth

That sums it up.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh come on guys. All of us on this board believe the gospel that Paul preached.

Are you saying that Alive in Christ is anathema? :eek:

Stop with the insults. Please.

15. JesusFan

NOT an insult, was just jesting!

but do still hold that Cal theology NOT only way to view scriptures, but best way to see Sotierology in light of the totality of the texts in the Bible!

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey AIC, did you not know that if a Calvinist fails to persuade you that Calvinism is not false doctrine, you are unteachable, rather than the Calvinist is presenting falsehood.
    I have been called lots of names, including ignorant and unteachable, and I see they are continuing to present fallacies, such as ad hominems, to defend their mistaken views. Go figure.

The question is why would any serious student of God's word not be able to discern the lack of context, the errors in grammar, and the outright redefinition of words that is the sum and substance of Calvinism.

The T, total spiritual inability is clearly false based on Matthew 13 and the four soils, where one soil fits the "T" due to hardening, but the other three still seek God.

The U, unconditional election is clearly false based on 2 Thessalonians 2:13 where we are chosen for salvation based on faith in the truth. Clearly a condition. Then there is James 2:5 where the poor are chosen who are rich in faith and love God, clearly conditional. Then we have 1 Corinthians 1:26-30 where folks are chosen out of the world to shame others, clearly conditional. No student of the bible could nullify all this.

The L, limited atonement, as defined by Calvinism, is clearly false doctrine. Jesus died for all mankind, He laid down His life as a ransom for all, He became the propitiation for the whole world. No serious student would accept this false doctrine.

The I, Irresistible Grace is shown to be false by Matthew 23:13 where men are entering heaven, thus having received all the revelatory grace needed, yet are turned aside by false doctrine.

Calvinism is defended by tactics such as name calling, misrepresentation, and spamming a thread with non-germane posts. That's it folks.

#76 Van, Nov 15, 2011
  17. Alive in Christ

Thats very much what I have been doing these last 30 years or so since being born again in 1982. And I started off in the calvinism camp. But praise God He steered me away from that and led me to a much more accurate understanding of the scriptures.

Thank you heavenly Father.

18. Alive in Christ

Van...

Yes, I am of course very familiar with the passages that you post. Their are many others of course, that expose the contradictions and falsehoods of Calvinism. I am just very thankfull that these who hold to calvinism also, for surely the most part, have saving faith in Christ and will not be excluded from heaven. Praise the Lord for that.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to AIC

Amen to that!! But we should continue to present the word of God for instruction, some things take time.

20. JesusFan

The ONLY thing that has been exposed by van in those references was that he really does not know the meaning/intent of the author of the Bible regarding the how/why/means of the salvation process in the life of those who have been both called/redeemed by the work of Christ upon the Cross!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.