1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism takes Biblical Truth Too Far

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    micah,
    [QUOTEThe 'Elect' idea is preposterous][/QUOTE]

election is a biblical doctrine ...all through the bible.
    I am not sure why you make this statement. Did you mean to say something else. I am pretty sure you have not read any Calvin

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? What in the world does election and "Calvin's code of moral behavior" have to do with one another? I can't follow your thinking.

The "elect idea" as you so quaintly phrased it, is a biblical doctrine. Calvin did not make it up. How much do you read the Bible?

I used to go to a largely black church in the inner city. Once a woman told me : " I believe in free will. I don't believe in predestination.That's not in the Bible." You just have to smile sometimes.

3. MicahJF612

MicahJF612 Member

Not enough of Calvin, to be entirely honest. Of course, not enough for me means not everything ever written on the subject.

And quite a lot of the Bible. I've read the entire thing in a couple different translations... And all I see is Christ asking us to live by a higher moral code because we love Him, not to prove something.

Election: Decided by God ahead of time as somehow better than everybody else and worthy of His love.

Calvin's Moral Code: 'Proof' of your election.

Where do you find Biblical proof of the elect?

#143 MicahJF612, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    here are some verses to look at: