1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism VS Charimatics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Sep 20, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Calvinism VS Charismatics . . .

Most historic Baptists in America have not been (IMHO) Calvinistic . . . Until the survey was posted on the other thread, I would have thought the number was close to 30% or maybe even 40% of pastors were Calvinists. I personally think many people would consider my theology Calvinistic (I just don't like the term).

But, in another thread the implication has been that Baptists are heavily laden with charismatics . . .

Unlike Calvinistic doctrine that is historic, Pentecostalism and its younger charismatic offspring, are less that 130 years old . . . Is there a reason why I should consider Charismatics equally historic when compared to Baptistic Calvinists?

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Baptists in America have been as historically calvinistic as arminian.

The survey in question asked if a pastor was a "5 point calvinist." I think many will agree to 3 or 4 points and would generally be viewed as calvinistic, but it didn't show in this survey.

I am not sure how one could argue that there is a history of charasmatic doctrine in Baptist life.

3. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Charismatic theology is a new phenomenom, and can no way be called historic. While I'm not a strict cessationist, I believe the current movement gives false testimony to the actual spiritual gifts.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

False teachers have been around as long as there have been people. Personally I do not believe for one second that both the cessationisst and pentecostals are correct. They just happen to lie in the same bed but on opposite ends.

Over the years I have found few who I feel really understand what Paul was dealing with and how he chose to deal with it in 1Cor. Too many try to come up with the idea of whether or not tongues ceased. I see no indication that scripture has dealt with either of those issues directly.