1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh your welcome.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your correct.....thats how I view it. Even to the point of disproving of my son's marrying someone out of the Reformed Faith. I hope that clarifies it sufficiently.

#42 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you have made yourself very clear to me.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my deliberate attempt. And your suggestion using Al Mohler is interesting. I have great respect for Dr. Mohler as a theologian & a Calvinist but he is stuck in the SBC that has allot of Arminians & No Name Theologies that are contradictory to Orthodox Theology & DoG, so I guess he has to get along.

My Church is completely Reformed & thats my theological belief. Why would I want that messed with. As I said before, you go to your church & I will go to mine.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Why do you and others here want to use what you know are insulting descriptions such as "no name theology"? Do you think that just because you can put a specific name to what you believer that it makes it more legitimate? I believe in salvation by grace through faith. I was a sinner, lost and separated from God, and in need of a Savior. When I called on the name of the Lord Jesus He saved me and made me into a new person. He extended to me grace that I did not deserve then, do not deserve now, nor will ever deserve. Jesus is Lord!!!! If that isn't good enough for you to call me a brother then it is you who has a great problem with your theology because you have no real understanding of what grace really is. If so, all you have is a theological system. You have a religion but no real relationship.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Are we saying here than the the reformed viewpoints on Holy Bible/Theology were Inspired by the holy Spirit?
    That Calvin, Luthor, Augustine etc as great as teachers they were, were inspired by Holy Spirit and revealed the INFALLIABLE way to view all things Spiritual within Christiandom?

Unless you are really to calim some type of Apostolic succession for their inspired teachings/doctrines...
    They are equal, no more or less, to other great Christian teachers...

They IS an orthodox Christian faith and theology, buts in not JUST with the ranks of the Reformed!

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your talking to me then your jumping to many conclusions that arent there. As far as your way of beleving, thats your call....just dont expect me to buy into it. And if your so sensitive to me calling you a "No Name"....well thats just so sensitive of you, I really wasnt trying to hurt your feelings.

Lastly I vagely recall you saying your of Welsh lineage... If Im not prying, are you?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sticks & stones....:tongue3: Dave, not sure you recognize that icon....its a raspberry.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah nope!:smilewinkgrin:

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Nope, recognize it, but don't know what it means.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Term of endearment perhaps....LOL :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be fair, if you believe that your theological beliefs are taught in the Bible, then you would believe they are inspired by the Holy Spirit--through inspiration of the biblical text, not through teaching of theologians.

And, no, not all teachings are equal. Either Calvinism is true or it isn't. Either Arminianism is true or it isn't. If it isn't true, it's not equal to the truth. The problem is that we are imperfect humans, so it is difficult to take an overly dogmatic position. My personal view is Calvinistic (the "jury is still out" on "L" in TULIP for me), but I readily admit that I could be wrong on this issue.

For instance...consider the views of the Reformers on the Lord's Supper/Eucharist/Communion. If Calvin was correct, then Luther was wrong. If Luther was correct, then Calvin was wrong. These views are not equal.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think this all falls under there being a general, essential, orthodox faith of systematic Theolgyall of us must adhere too, but have than further dinstictions and breakdowns from there!

Just trying to say that there is a standard Theology, essentials of the Christian faith, but that is neither a Reformed nor a Free Will Truth, it is the Common Truth all all who are true Christians, than once we try tp break it down further, gets into becoming reformed or Free Will!

#54 JesusFan, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  15. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with some kind of theological triage (Al Mohler recently expounded on this). Basic orthodoxy (as in the Nicene and Apostle's Creed) does not require a particular understanding of soteriology.