1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist or Arminian?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SolaSaint, Dec 15, 2009.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A reminder that this forum is for discussion of history, not a debate on whether Calvinism (or its alternatives) is correct. That discussion belongs in the theology forum.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right, my apologies.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Do not get confused by what you have stated. The "Anabaptists" (Such as Munster) had a completely different theology than the Baptist groups from which we today are descended from. Smyth and Hewlys, and the men/congregations which broke away from the Church of England, is where we can trace our beginnings. These groups, originally fully affirmed TULIP (as can be seen in the LBCF) and it was not until much later that Smith fell in with the "Anabaptists" and their doctrine.

Baptists were originally "Calvinist" in the sense of the five points. Even the break between "General" and "particular" Baptists, which happened later, was not a dispute over all five of the points, but only the single point of Limited Atonement. Later, certain groups spread further to the Arminian side of things.

There is a little book called, I believe "Baptists and the Doctrine of Election" which contains quotes from ALMOST every major figure in Baptist history, affirming the truth of Unconditional Election.

4. AnotherBaptist

AnotherBaptist New Member

Link to Above

Like I said, if memory serves me right. I am sure that I have read the essence of what is quoted above elsewhere also, but I can't remember for where for sure. I have no doubt that the differences you stated are correct, but am not aware of any timeline concerning when they may have taken place.

Technically, only a person who was baptized as an infant in the RCC and then baptized by immersion as an adult was considered an anabaptist... at that time. When I called myself an anabaptist, I am automatically disqualified because I was born way too late to be one, and I was Lutheran, not Catholic.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

At that time, ANYONE who performed believers baptism were called "Anabaptists" by their detractors. My caution to you was to keep the English Baptists, who had no connection to the movement termed "Anabaptist" by most, separate from more Arminian groups such as the Munsterites. The original Baptists were Calvnistic in their soteriology, and developed separately.

In other words, the Radical reformers (Munster etc.) are not our predecessors.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Robert Selph wrote this gem. I've read it over and over again after receiving my copy 15 yrs ago or so. I was given a copy along with Boyce's Abstract. They are prized parts of my library.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if any of you can give the title of the book, or ISBN, and where best to order this from.
    I'm trying to find good writings from both Primitive Baptists and other Baptists.

8. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

TomVols and Havensdad, thanks for the book suggestion. I will have to add them to my library. God Bless and Merry Christmas.:love2:

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the Squire has pointed out, there was an early bifurcation of the Baptists into Generals and Particulars.

Smyth and Helwys represented the General stream of thought (the earliest of which we have good records), and it could hardly be said that they were five-pointers.

Leaving aside Smyth (whose attempt to unite with the Waterlander Mennonites muddies the historical waters), Helwys' statements of faith represent, in broad terms, General Baptist soteriology, and accepted total depravity, affirmed election (though without specifying its exact nature) and rejected irrestistible grace and preservation/perseverance. A few of the highlights:

Helwys dealt at greater length with election in A Short and Plain Proof by the Word and Works of God that God's Decree Is Not The Cause of Any Man's Sin or Condemnation (1611):

The Generals preceded the Particulars by about three decades and outnumbered the Particulars for many years. Ultimately they all but vanished in Britain, largely because of weak Christology that made them prey to Unitarianism.

Thus, to ask if the early Baptists were Calvinists (or Calvinistic), one must ask "Which Baptists?" That said, I think you will find that the forebears of most American Baptists were generally Calvinistic, an orientation that prevailed (with the exception of the Free Will Baptists) until the last century.

#29 rsr, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
  10. SolaSaint

I believe this also, thanks for the post.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How many different brands of Baptists are there? Looking at that number alone I wonder how many general statements could be made about C/A issues among Baptists and what they stand for.

I would suggest that what one says and does and the sides they stand on are not always in agreement theologically.

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find these discussions so interesting - I was raised by a Southern Baptist deacon, and I accepted Christ as my Savior at age 13. I knew nothing about where the Baptists came from, I just knew I was lost and needed a Saviour.

I am IFB now, having found the SBC to be more liberal than I am. I never knew there were differences (Calvinism, Arminianism, Particular, General, etc etc, ad nauseum) until I earned a degree at LU.

I believe in saved by grace, once saved always saved, the Bible is the Final Authority, The KJV is the closest to the Greek text, we are commissioned to "go ye therefore" and Baptism doesn't save you. What else do I need?

But it is interesting to learn these historical facts.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Further, as there were two families of Anglo-Baptist thought (General and Particular). the two have over the centuries interbred with each other. Nothing wrong with that mind you, but it does mean that except for the Gillites and the Free Will Baptists the lines have been blurred.

14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I read somewhere that there are over 40 different kins of Baptist churches--including 7th Day Baptist (there's one in my home city) and one with Catholic beliefs.

15. SolaSaint

This has nothing to do with denominational differences, but I used to live in a town of about 4 thousand people where within 5 miles there were 6 SBC churches. There was even a 2nd Baptist of ______, and a 2nd Baptist of East______. Can you believe that?

16. Trailofblood

Trailofblood New Member

I choose to call my self a 'Biblicist' following neither Calvin nor Arminius but the Word of God. Sola Scripture if you will :thumbs:

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Calling yourself a Biblicist doesn't help the discussion. We are all Biblicists here. Some of us are Calvinist Biblicists; some are non-Calvinist Biblicists; some are Arminian Biblicists. All of us appeal to scripture to support our individual views.

And it doesn't let you off the hook, either, to investigate the claims of each view. Each view is closely connected with how you present the gospel. Each of us is making claims dealing with eternal matters. One cannot remain neutral. You must be a Berean.

#37 Tom Butler, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  18. BaptistQuestioning

BaptistQuestioning New Member

Let's talk about Baptist history

Very interesting thread. I've been studying the history of Judaism, Christianity, and the transmission of Scripture for the last 4 or 5 years. So, I appreciate the history.

This is my first post on this forum, btw. :wavey:

Baptist-Questioning

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Welcome, BQ, we hope you enjoy your stay. BTW, I'm pretty sure the transmission of Scripture has been going on for more than 4 or 5 years. Just kidding there...

20. BaptistQuestioning

BaptistQuestioning New Member

Johnv,

Left out a comma. Guess punctuation does really matter. ;)