1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinist Pastor Turns from Calvinism After 20 Years

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by InTheLight, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't know if I agree with you. I have read many a Calvinist say they were revolted at the doctrine of Calvinism when they first heard it, if offended their idea of a loving God. But teachers can manipulate scripture to make it appear God is the author of sin.

For example, Hyper-Calvinists will often quote Isa 45:7

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

You could take this scripture and use it to teach that God is the author of evil, in fact, I have seen it done. I have seen Hypers say that the devil is simply God's servant, carrying out those evil things God ordains.

Almost anyone would be offended by teaching like this, but a clever teacher could say, "Look, what does the scripture say? Does it say God creates evil?"

You can manipulate scripture, but if something doesn't sound or feel right, you better investigate a little more before you fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

God wrote the law on our heart and gave us a conscience for a reason.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt, I salute your fair assessment.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an illustration of what I've said sometime many posts ago somewhere and faithfully opposed by some antis here. One can convert from one truth to a lie or vice-versa, from one principle to another, one doctrine or creed, soterioloy or theology to another, doesn't necessarily define your eternal relationship to the Savior.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read from both sides and listen to podcasts from both sides. I have Chosen But Free, as well as the Potters Freedom, What is Reformed Theology to Free Grace Soteriology. I lean Calvinist, but I am not Reformed and reject Covenant theology. In Heaven God will sort it all out, so for the moment we can work together.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong... Would you reject Christianity because some lunatic claimed christianity and shot his wife?

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same to you. Just because you do not like tracts on cars does not mean everyone thinks the same.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why respond to him? I have him on ignore and encourage others to do the same. WinMan comes to this board to air his opinions and launch his crusade against Calvinism.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, I love you man... woop dee doo... lol...

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would lose that bet given the number of cal's compared to non.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You are a funny guy. Could you recommend some good books on placing tracts on cars? Please don't violate your book buying freeze to get any new ones. Recommending one from your personal collection would be great.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An Arminian based book called One Thing You Cant do in Heaven by Mark Cahill. This man has a PASSION for souls. Good read.

He encourages people to place tracts in beer cases in the local grocery store.

PS- Actually I have enough evangelism books and do not need anymore. I have a number of both Arminian and Calvinist books on the topic.

#31 evangelist6589, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  12. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's disappointing that you can't recommend a book that talks specifically about placing tracts on cars. I would really like to be educated on this subject by a great Christian Author.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know how many times reformed folks on this board have told us their story of how they once converted from "arminianism" to "calvinism"?

It certainly counted then.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I would shy away from both Arminian and Calvinistic based books on evangelism. I have several books on the subject by various authors (e.g., Dave Earley, John MacArthur)...and the only one that I can think of only one I own that could misinterpreted as being "based" on Calvinism (by J.I. Packer). When we start categorizing and replacing the Bible as our foundation with our own theological persuasions then error is shortly to follow.

I do not know, because I can not speak for the man, but this type of categorization is what I thought of when you and Don debated labeling Christians. Why the divide? Just offer varying views on evangelism and go from there.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Stuffing tracts inside cases of beer at the grocery store? What could go wrong?

[​IMG]

Just substitute the word "beer" for "soup" and you will have John's headline.

Great idea John.

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Well, I appreciate Winmans contribution to discussions, and I think you may have missed the point.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The POINT is that Mark's book is filled with stories and excellent wisdom on doing personal evangelism and he gave me many ideas, including placing tracts on cars. The book has blessed many (just read the amazon reviews). You disagree and yet have not read the book.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go buy the book or I can have one sent out to you, just PM me your address. The POINT of the book is to motivate you to do evangelism, but that may be too much given the state of your heart towards evangelism.

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sure hope that is not YOUR testimony!

I was specifically asking about Matt's testimony (or generically asking any reader of this thread--Would you like it if someone totally dismissed your testimony because you were only one man?)

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct sir!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.