1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist preachers, teachers, theologians

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jne1611

jne1611 Member

I look to be overrun by those who profess Calvinism, so please note. I do not claim to represent Calvinism's stand. If any think I misrepresent them.

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Sorry, that sign is simply error and is not according to scripture!
    Christ is preached to all people. Some of them come to faith in Him, some do not. We have no way of knowing who will come. They are not marked!! Why did you come? Were you smarter, more eager, have more opportunities or, did you see your sin and your need of a Savior and repent! If you did that, God had touched your heart, calling you to HImself!
    Some of those who do not come now, may come at a later time! Some people come to Christ late in life. We preach to all who will listen, praying that they will see their sin and come to repentance!

3. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Bro. Bob. When you say Calvinist's, are you referring to primitive Baptist's? I remember you saying your church was a branch of of primitive Baptist's. Or at least I think that is what you said. Just wandering if you still fellowship with them?

4. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Where did everybody go?

5. mcknight0315

mcknight0315 New Member

Calvinism and Arminianism are both true, however Calvinism encapsulates more truth than Arminianism. The doctrines of Sovereign Grace aknowledge both God's point of view and man's. Freewill only aknowledges man's point of view, and is dangerous in that one tends to give some of the glory for his salvation to himself instead of to the Lord. If you believe that you "did" anything to become saved, stop it right now and recognize your salvation for the free gift that it is.

6. whatever

whatever New Member

How likely is it that you know more about Calvinism and its implications than Whitefield did? Trust me, you don't know what you are talking about. Someday you will thank me for pointing this out. :)

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, I mean Primitive and no we split in 1863

8. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

The doctrines of grace acknowledge that scripture allows that man has a will, to choose according to his nature. His nature, unless God has regenerated his heart is to choose only what is against God! That is all he is able to choose!
    One of the best christian authors I've read comes from Carlisle,PA. Have you read Walter Chantry? Read, Todays Gospel, Authentic or Synthetic?

9. jne1611

jne1611 Member

But you do maintain fellowship?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No...... We just acknowledge each other when meet as brother and sister.

11. jne1611

jne1611 Member

OK. Don't know why, just wandering.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

nature.....

13. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure the modern day Calvinists would likely not do this, but there was a time when the strong Calvinists did preach what they believe. To quote Charles Finney, speaking of his Calvinist pastor:

"If he preached repentence, he must be sure before he sat down, to leave the impression on his people, that they could not repent. If he called them to believe, he must be sure to inform them that, until their nature was changed by the Holy Spirit, faith was impossible to them."

Now, don't get the idea that I'm agreeing with Finney's doctrine, because I don't. But I am not going to question the man's basic honesty, and I take him at his word that this was typical of what he was exposed to during his day.

Couple that with the experience of William Carey, who was a member of Particular Baptists in the 1780's. They didn't believe in missions, and he had to convince them that we should use human means to preach the gospel to the lost.

So there was a day when the issues of the OP were preached from Calvinist pulpits.

14. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Well, Finney did more to wreak havoc in the church that any other preacher, thats for sure!

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

There is nothing wrong with preaching whosoever will may come, for that is the call to all mankind. It is however wrong to say God died for all sinners. God came to save sinners.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1 Timothy, chapter 2

[/i]4: Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5: For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    6: Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Hebrews, chapter 2
    "9": But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

1 Timothy, chapter 2
    "1": I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

"2": For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

"3": For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

"4": Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

"5": For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

"6": Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time

2 Peter, chapter 2
    (this is the clincher)
    1: But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    2: And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
    3: And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

#56 Brother Bob, Oct 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why are you comparing my knowledge with Whitefield? I never did...

I believe I do know what I am talking about, thank you. Funny how the majority of believers don't know what they are talking about... :rolleyes:

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I didn't mean to steal your thread Webdog but I had to answer James;)

19. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Could not resist could you?:smilewinkgrin:

20. whatever

whatever New Member

You really ought to remember what you write. Here it is again:
    By your own words Whitefield was either a liar or foolish; and by implication you, of course, are neither. You did make the comparison whether you realize it or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.