1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinistic Students in LBTS DLP?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Len, Feb 12, 2010.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Thing is not all on here are Calvinist. It's hard to reply.

#21 David Michael Harris, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  2. Len

Len Member

I realize that not all are, and of course I have no problem with that. I'm just asking, from an academic and social standpoint, if a Calvinist would have a hard time at Liberty, given their public concern with Limited Atonement. If one has some experience with the school, they don't necessarily have to be a Calvinist to know if those who are Calvinistic would be welcome.

My question is more interested in BaptistBoard members' experiences with the school than it is on what each member of the board believes about soteriology. :)

Blessings!

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes. I found that many of the professors were not as radical in their views as Dr. Caner. However one must keep in mind that it is a non-Calvinistic seminary. As part of the distance learning program you will, most likely, not get caught up in the Calvinist v. non-Calvinist battle. Just do your work and you will do fine.

I earned an M.A. Religion degree from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary via distance learning. It is a great program that allowed me to finish what I started at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. I highly recommend Liberty!

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is one of the more dangerous statements I have read on this particular board in a long time. Let's not forget that the disciples walked with Jesus (in person) for three years. They were enrolled in the toughest seminary program yet. In our modern age it is very important that pastors and Christian educators can respond to the lies being taught by the world. Bible College/Seminary is necessary.

You should also understand that most seminaries require or assume that you are involved in Christian ministry during your years of education. Seminary is not a monastery where one barricades themselves off from the mission field. Seminary is where one learns skills that will help them to rightly divide the Word of truth and be an effective minister of God. Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary is not for people who are not ministry minded. On campus or off campus you are going to have to be working for the Lord.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well said sir! I could not, indeed I did not, say it better myself. The church has suffered and continues to suffer thanks to these anti-education folks. God gave us brains and He expects us to use them for more than a nice hat rack. God never condemns education if that education is done so one can pursue His will for them or done so that one can better accomplish His will.

6. Len

Len Member

Thanks, Martin! Glad to hear of another pro-Liberty experience. I've wanted to do seminary for around five years now, and I'm hopeful that this might be a good option for me. I'm definitely praying for God's guidance and discernment, as well as provision if He allows me to enter the program.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

While you have been doing that, I have been meeting with many men who have gone down the wrong road of ignorance which led them into a ditch or rejecting the Bible and not living for Jesus. Some have even lost their families because of following wrong teaching or left the faith. Today everyone of them are leading people to Christ and making disciples.

Education and training did nothing? Lack of education and training led where?

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Len,

Your welcome and God bless you as seek to do His will.

Just another option to lay on the table for you. Have you considered doing an M.A. Religion degree? Reformed Theological Seminary offers their 60 hour MAR degree online. Click HERE for information on their program.

9. Len

Len Member

I have considered their program, and it's still my third pick. The major factors in passing on RTS were the cost, that it isn't an MDiv (I have long-term hopes of earning a DMin eventually), and that it's Presbyterian (which doesn't bother me, but might make some in my church\association nervous). However, they did tell me I could do additional non-degree classes after earning the MA and get MDiv equivalency to pursue a DMin later on. If LBTS (or Western Seminary's InMinistry MDiv, which is my second pick) doesn't work out, I'll be checking into RTS again.

Thanks!

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I concur. I would love to have completed an MARS from RTS and then transfer to Liberty (most, if not all of the credits would transfer into the M.Div. program. LBTS is one of those schools that allow "double dipping" with certain degrees).

However, the cost is too great. It would be at least an additional 2,000 per semester over what I am paying at Liberty.