1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinists and Arminians agree

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JamesL, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, you'll accept McKim's "seems to me" definition of legalism?

---------------------------------------------
    But that's not what your quote of McKim says. There's no mention of justification in your quote of him. I don't know the man or his writings. But your quote of him sounds almost exactly like my "seems to me" definition. He said - a relationship that is GOVERNED primarily by laws or rules.

I wrote: "someone who is more focused on following rules, laws, commandments RATHER THAN being led by the Holy Spirit"

I don't know if you are able to catch what we both were saying, and how it is the same - When he says that the relationship is GOVERNED by rules, he is relating this to believers. Not establishing of the relationship, which is where you would find justification

When I say RATHER THAN by the Holy Spirit, I am relating this to believers. Unbelievers cannot be led by the Holy Spirit

So you disagreed with me AND the guy you thought you agreed with

That's going to depend on one's definition of legalism and Antinomian. There are two possibilities for each

That's extremely biblical, as you'll see in about 7 seconds.....

Not this one. I am an avowed antinomian, in a purely biblical sense. 1Timothy 1:9 says plainly that the law is not for a righteous man, but for sinners and unholy desecrators.

We become the righteousness of God, in Christ (2Cor 5:21)

The law is the ministry of death (2Cor 3:7)

the law is the ministry of condemnation (2Cor 3:9)

Galatians 3:10 says - For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.”

Christ is the END of the law for everyone who believes (Rom 10:4)

This isn't overemphasizing grace, this I simply recognizing that the Law has been abolished in Christ. He didn't COME to abolish the Law, He DIED to abolish it (Ephesians 2:15).

The Law was an old covenant, or testament. Now we have a NEW one in His blood. Hebrews 9:15-17 tells us that the New covenant could not be established while the one making it lives. Just like a "last will and testament" today is in effect when the one who make it dies

But just to be clear, I don't believe scripture sets Law against Grace. Grace can be found throughout the scriptures. What scripture does contrast is Law versus Spirit.

We are no longer to be led (or governed) by rules and regulations found in the ministry of death, we are to be led by the Spirit, who dwells in us. If you don't get that, you just might be a legalist

I think that's enough for one post. I'll try to get another bit in tomorrow night. It might take a while, but I'm willing to tough it out

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said God doesn't care what we do. What I said is that God cares more about what you think about what you do

All one has to do is read the Sermon on the Mount to see that Jesus made examples of motive. When you do your alms, or pray, or fast, don't be like the ones who do it for the praises of men. Jesus made it clear that WHY matters more. He called those men hypocrites because of it.

In Luke 18:10-14 - The Pharisee thanked God that he did not DO the wretched things which sinners did. Instead, he fasted twice a week, and tithed of all he had. And who went away more justified? The one who THOUGHT in a more humble manner. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled. This is an issue of how one THINKS, which is more important than what one does

In Romans 9:31-10:3- Israel followed after the law of righteousness, but did not attain to the law of righteousness. Why? Because they sought it on the basis of works. They have a zeal for God, but going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves to God.

What's painfully clear here is that Israel THINKS that their works of the law will bring them into a righteous standing with God. Doing right, but thinking about it wrong.

Yes, we should be holy in all our behavior. But if we THINK holy behavior will establish righteousness, it is all for naught.

Same with baptism. It's a good thing unless we think it will establish righteousness. It's good to confess our sins, but not if we think it simply gives us a license to continue in it. It's good to give money to the church. But not if you think it's going to give you a seat of honor. It's good to abstain from wicked deeds. But not if you think it makes you better than others.

Considering your moniker (Reformed), you should agree with a Reformation confession, right?

Westminster: On good works (16.2)
    These good works, done in obedience to God's commandments, are the fruits and evidences of a true and lively faith: and by them believers manifest their thankfulness, strengthen their assurance, edify their brethren, adorn the profession of the gospel, stop the mouths of the adversaries, and glorify God, whose workmanship they are, created in Christ Jesus thereunto, that, having their fruit unto holiness, they may have the end, eternal life.

It says that the end of our holiness is eternal life.

Baptist Confession 1689: On good works (16.2)
    These good works, done in obedience to God’s commandments, are the fruits and evidences of a true and lively faith; and by them believers manifest their thankfulness, strengthen their assurance, edify their brethren, adorn the profession of the gospel, stop the mouths of the adversaries, and glory God, whose workmanship they are, created in Christ Jesus thereunto, that having their fruit unto holiness they may have the end eternal life.

Same as Westminster

You say there are extremes in the Calvinist and Arminian positions, and that each can be given to legalism. I contend that if you don't hold to the view that the end of our good works is eternal life, then you really aren't adhering to Reformed doctrine.

I've quoted two confession which say exactly what I have contended. The burden of proof would be upon you to demonstrate that they didn't mean what they wrote

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JamesL;

You completely misunderstand the relationship between law and grace based on what and how you post here.
    This is pure error.

At this point being you start with a wrong premise...it can only go wrong from here on out...

I know you posted this toward Reformed....but I could not allow this to sneak by....

The Moral law of God is eternal and in the heart of true Christians by the work of the Spirit.....God knows NO lawless Christians.

yes it is...you need to study this a bit more:thumbs:

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Christ fulfilled the Law...it is written upon our hearts...you are drifting towards antinominianism....I used to believe it the way you do. Christ abolished the workings of the Law, the shedding of goat's, dove's, sheep's blood, the temple to approach Him, &c., but the Law is still in the hearts of His children....

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sneak by - lol
    That's rich. And I don't disagree that I need to study more. If you think you don't, then ok.

You know the best part of your post? It had ZERO scripture references, only opinion.

You seem to be confusing "against law" with "against righteousness"

As soon as you realize that righteousness can only be through regeneration, you'll realize that the works of the law are not for the righteous.

But that's an area of agreement between you and Arminians. You're both trying to live by the law. But the scriptures say the just shall live by faith

8. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James, it seem to me that you were downplaying Christian obedience ("what we do") to make it almost insignificant. If that was not your intent I apologize.

I am not going to disagree that our heart attitude reveals our true motive. It does. But I tread carefully at treating attitude and obedience as components that can be easily separated.

Our Lord condemned the Pharisees because they operated from corrupt motives. I daresay they operated from a heart of unbelief. Therefore their hypocrisy was a logical product of their wicked hearts. Such actions should not be named among believers. "My brothers, these things ought not to be so" (Jas. 3:10).

Over time I think it is hard to hide our true intentions with those who know us best. If a brother's attitude belies his actions (or vice versa), we should confront him in love. And we should always remember that we may be wrong in assessing our brother.

Go back one verse and we will see the reason why Jesus told that parable:

Luke 18:9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that were righteous, and treated others with contempt;

As I said previously, these were acting in unbelief. We know this because they were trusting in themselves for righteousness.

I concur. And why was their thinking wrong? Because they acted in unbelief, and while in unbelief it was impossible for them to think right.

I never suggested that holy behavior will establish righteousness. Righteousness comes on the basis of faith, and it is imputed by Christ. Holy behavior ("good works", Eph. 2:10; 1 Pet. 1:15) is a result of being declared righteous.

Again, no one has advocated differently.

Do you understand what you just quoted? The framers of the 1689 LBC (the confession that I subscribe to) were not saying that holy living earns eternal life. In the first sentence of the paragraph it says, "These good works, done in obedience to God's commandments, are the fruits and evidence of true and lively faith,". The last sentence of the paragraph, "that having their fruit until holiness they have the end eternal life" is an echo of Romans 6:22, "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life". Certainly the Apostle Paul is not teaching that good works beget eternal life.

Which I have done. You misunderstand what the framers of both confessions meant, and you obviously did not consider Romans 6:22.

9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you didn't read my post, where I said I am antinomian.

But, just as Icon, I think you're confusing "against law" with "against righteousness"

You're trying to say in one breath that Christ abolished the law, and in the next breath that He didn't

10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James, my apology. I missed your first response. I will address it as soon as I am able.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [JamesL
    I was suggesting that you need more study on the law and grace specifically.

Yes,,,it was short and to the point,,,,and very accurate:thumbsup:

The verses you offered were all mis-used....I can answer them if you like;
    The thing is...to understand law and grace properly...I think that much more study needs to take place before you can really gain understanding.
    A proper discussion can branch out in many directions...ok lets look a little bit-

God does not have antinomian Christians. Antinomianism leads to legalism, and fundamentalism with it's distorted false teachings on pitting law against grace.
    rom.61,2

The chapter did not start in verse 9 however...let's dial it back two verses;
    5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

Here the law is GOOD.....if properly used...some were teaching no law, some were teaching from the ceremonial laws, some were teaching that the law could provide a way of salvation....the false was being corrected so that the place of the law could be established;

Paul is not going to contradict what he has taught elsewhere;

31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
    This speaks of our standing IN UNION with Christ. He was a perfect law keeper...as Image-bearers we are to be also.
    The OT law was death in that the penalty for anyone who tried to use it as a means of justification without keeping it perfectly was death...but that was not the purpose of the law.....it was never given for that purpose.
    5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the Lord my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.

6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the Lord our God is in all things that we call upon him for?

8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;

you misquote this verse to totally pervert it....it does NOT....say Christ is...the END OF THE LAW

Here is what it does say-

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth
    ....Jesus law keeping in His active obedience on behalf of His sheep...results in justification for the elect.

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them

This isn't overemphasizing grace, this I simply recognizing that the Law has been abolished in Christ. He didn't COME to abolish the Law, He DIED to abolish it (Ephesians 2:15). [/QUOTE]

This is speaking of ceremonial law from the ot that excluded gentiles from the worship of the true God....these were fulfilled in Christ....

I am not the one confused here:wavey:

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your definition seemed sloppy. Perhaps it is the way I am wired when it comes to defining terms. Because there are so many different view points represented on this board, I appealed to a scholar who is independent of this discussion.

Also, I do not know whether you are in a pastoral position, but I am. Words mean things, and I strive for accuracy when using them. Sometimes I fail. But when dealing with important topics we cannot afford to play fast and loose with what we say.

All I did was cite McKim for a textbook definition of Legalism. The rest was my understanding of how Legalism impacts soteriology. Remember, McKim defined Legalism, not a Legalist. Someone who practices Legalism is a Legalist. That is pretty standard English grammar. If a Legalist brings his works-based system into soteriology, he is as I explained him in my earlier post.

McKim does not state whether his definition applies to believers or unbelievers. It is just a definition. I will state quite emphatically that a Legalist cannot be a Christian if his view of justification is dependent on his legalism. Why? Because he would be seeking a works-based justification.

Can a believer be a Legalist? Yes and no. 'Yes' in the sense that a genuine believer may stray into error. This is most prevalent in progressive sanctification. Paul addressed this with the Galatians:

Gal. 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected in the flesh?

But the answer is also 'no'. A genuine believer is not justified by works, nor is he sanctified by works, even though he may fall into error. Even in his error he is sanctified by the Spirit.

If you understand the division between law and gospel, you will understand there is no biblical antinomianism.

First, do you understand how the Reformers understood the Law? Most held to a three-fold use of the Law. R.C. Sproul did a good job of explaining the three-fold use of the Law:

The link to this can be found --> HERE

The Reformers also saw three parts of the Law: Ceremonial, Judicial, and Moral.

The ceremonial part of the law was fulfilled in Christ. This included the sacrificial system and temple ceremonies. The judicial aspect was also fulfilled in Christ, but a better way of looking at it is that it passed into obsolescence with the inauguration of the New Covenant. The moral law is still with us today. It is the knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong. It pre-dated the Mosaic Law (see the Garden narrative). We are no justified by the moral law. We are only justified through Christ. But the moral law of God is what Paul was invoking when he wrote, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Rom. 3:23).

Your references to the Law are only valid in the context of someone trying to achieve righteousness by keeping the Law. The point has already been made that no one can be made righteous by keeping the Law. The Law can only condemn. But the Law is not without merit. Back in Galatians, Paul wrote:

Gal. 3:24 So then, the law was our guardian* until Christ came, in order that we may be justified by faith.

*some translation use 'schoolmaster' or 'tutor'.

The Law cannot justify, but it plays a valuable role in revealing our sin. Any presentation of the Gospel that calls attention to an individual's sin is making use of the moral law of God, whether the presenter admits it or not.

#32 Reformed, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Christ abolished the ceremonial portion(s) of the Law, but the moral Law is alive and well. Without the Law, there would be no sins.

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sound like an Arminian, Willis.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Howso? The Law is written on the believer's heart...Jer. 31, Heb. 8 & 10...

If they're abolished, how are they written upon our hearts?

16. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read this article from Arminians:

http://wesley.nnu.edu/arminianism/t...c-disputations/disputation-12-the-law-of-god/

Here is a portion:

You probably didn't know you had so much in common.

You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory? For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory. For indeed what had glory, in this case has no glory because of the glory that surpasses it. For if that which fades away was with glory, much more that which remains is in glory.

Therefore having such a hope, we use great boldness in our speech, and are not like Moses, who used to put a veil over his face so that the sons of Israel would not look intently at the end of what was fading away. But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart; but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
    (2Cor 3:2-18)

For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. (Gal 5:13-17)

#36 JamesL, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/antinomianism_the_soft_heresy.html

This teaching apparently started with the gnostics. If true, not good company to be associated with....

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

http://www.wopc.net/2014/01/legalism-and-antinomianism/

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Antinomianism and legalism are lock-step doctrines....

One's as bad as t'other, imo...

20. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said before...
    you're confusing "against law" with "against righteousness"

You are, in essence, accusing me of teaching licentiousness. What does your "Moral Law" speak of false witness? You desire to pick and choose which laws you strive to observe, and which laws you are willing to toss aside?

Your issue is that you don't have any understanding of righteousness by the Spirit, which is not based on law

And you need to be careful which "thinkers" you're listening to and reading. Your quote misrepresented "why" some Gnostics taught and practiced licentiousness.

And I say "some" because there were other Gnostics who taught self-denial and asceticism. Another misrepresentation in that quote of yours.

Trust me, Willis, and I say this in all honesty - You are ill equipped to start throwing around charges of Gnosticism. You have no knowledge of the matter. (pun intended)

You would do best to simply agree that your view of the Law is shared with your Arminian cousins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.