1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist's believe everyone has free will

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dwmoeller1, Sep 18, 2010.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say that whatever is consistent with scripture should be acceptable.:tongue3:
    I disagree. A person is influenced by outside forces. Whether that rises to the level of "compulsion" is irrevelent. Your will is not "free" from outside influence.
    The Apostle Paul disagrees with you. His whole argument in Romans 7 is concerned with the influence of sin in a person's life.... How sin (personafied) controls the person's actions causing them to do the very things they do not want to do.
    Agreed.
    You are missing the obvious, imho. It is sin that has corrupted (and continues to corrupt) the nature of man.

peace to you:praying:

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say when compared to what Jesus taught is that the typical usage of what it means to be a Christian is a mile off of what Jesus taught when it came to paying the cost of following Him.

3. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I say that whatever is consistent with Scripture AND consistent with common usage is the best choice :) Hence this thread.

No one on either side disagrees with the fact that the will is *influenced* by outside things. Since both sides fully agree on this, that is beside the point. The question is
    a. whether the will is determined in any way
    b. whether the will is determined by things outside the person

Those who hold to libertarian free will say no to any sort of determination of the will. Compatibalism (the Cist view) is that the will is determined only by the person's nature. Hence, the will is both determined in one sense but free in another (hence compatibalism - free will and determination of the will are compatible).

Romans 7 applies to believers only. That is because they have to deal with two natures - their inward self is regenerate (thus they desire to do good) but they still have the corrupt body hanging around (thus sin still influences them). Such is the problem that when Paul does what he does not desire, he says its not him doing it but the sin in him.

Additionally, it seems that Paul is speaking in hyperbole when he gives sin a personification. Unless one is going to hold that Paul is actually blaming some force inside himself that does things with his body such that Paul isn't actually the one doing them, its problematic to take Rom 7 too literally. Not that the verse should be taken too figuratively either.

But all that aside for now. What I have been speaking of so far has been the state of natural man alone. The state of the Christian is a bit more involved (as seen by Rom 7). We now have the desire but not the power of our own to will. Thus Paul speaks of the believer "getting" to choose who's servant they will be - IOW, what desires they will give in to. But let's wait to discuss the Christian's state till after we deal with the state of the will of natural man.

4. moral necessity

Site Supporter

You seem to have a nice grasp on the topic, from what I can tell. I appreciate your posts. I've read the Edwards' work you reference, and have studied the subject myself. I found Luther's Bondage of the Will to be helpful. Have you read it yet? http://www.monergismbooks.com/The-Bondage-of-the-Will-p-16202.html

The only problem I have with agreeing to calling the will "free", is that 99% of society will probably take it in a way different than you mean. The term "free" to them implies an ability to choose to go left or right from a neutral, indifferent position. And, this indifference is what is not granted by non-freewillers. Non-freewillers seem to say the will is "bound" or constrained to choose according to the nature of the person. Even God's will, they often say, is "bound" to choose according to his nature. "Free" implies not being attached. Non-freewillers say that it is "bound" or subject, and not neutral or indifferent. Luther compares the will to a beast, that is ridden and directed by it's rider.

Thanks again for your posts. I'm glad to have found others who like digging into Edwards and other older writers, and who enjoy thinking on such topics. I hope to read more of your thoughts on this, and other subjects.

Blessings and fellowship!

#24 moral necessity, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
  5. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I have not read Luther's Bondage of the Will and have only glanced at Edwards after being told my argument (which I thought was original and innnovative) was basically a rehash of Edward's. Ah well, I thought the same thing about my "new" views of God's sovereignty and salvation after having read straight through Scripture for the first time at the age of 22. I went around expounding on these "new" insights of mine to others for a couple of years and started getting called a "Calvinist". ;) No clue what that meant at the time, but it was encouraging to find out that that I had merely come across something that had been expounded on and systematized many centuries earlier. Anyways...

Versus "moral agency", "moral necessity" some other term which means nothing to them at all ;)

Really though, I agree with your concern. Hence why I never claim "free will" w/o also defining it. However, I am unwilling to cede a perfectly good term. So, I think it worth using as long as one is careful and clear in its use.

Plus, many of them would agree with the definition of free-will that I give. The difficulty lies not in their view of the will, but in their view of the nature. When they think about it, they agree that people choose what they want to choose (instead of the will being self-determined) - they simply believe that the unbeliever might desire good sometimes. I tend to find that most people have such a vague idea of what they really mean by "free will" that they have no particular bent to one definition over the other. They simply have a bent to believing that man can choose good on his own, but never think much about the "mechanism". I find its not so much that they disagree with my definition as they simply don't have a clear definition either way.

Either way the discussion is worthwhile IMO.

Haven't dug into Edwards...but how about Rutherford, you read him?

#25 dwmoeller1, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
  6. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Thats because (if I may so bold) you are only familiar with one side/one aspect of the larger debate. Hence the more reason not to cede the term, IMO. The compatibalist usage of the term lines up just fine with what Jesus taught it meant to be a Christian. Plus, I believe that the popular usage of the term "free will" is so ill defined in people's minds that presenting a clear meaning which is in line with Scripture is useful in its own right. Even if they don't agree, just getting them to think more deeply about the subjects of the will, nature and their relationship is a step forward.

#26 dwmoeller1, Sep 20, 2010
  7. RAdam

RAdam New Member

The wrong questions are being asked. People are asking if man has free will, that is, the ability to choose between various options. The answer to that question is yes. The other option is that man is a robot doing only what he is programmed to do. Nobody would argue this. Everybody makes choices throughout the day on a variety of issues from what to eat or drink all the way up to moral choices. The question of whether or not man can choose between various options is, thus, the wrong question.

The right question is this: what will man do with his free will? What will he choose? My ability to choose doesn't mean I will give equal credence to all options in front of me. In fact, experience proves that we aren't clean slates. Place in front of me a ribeye steak cooked the way I desire and a plate full of chicken livers and I will choose the steak every time. Why? Because I like ribeye steaks and despise livers. I have a preference for one thing and a strong preference against something else. While I have the ability to make a choice, my choice will be influenced by various factors.

The bible is clear that man has a rotten nature, one that is emnity with God, cannot please God, and indeed hates God. The natural man does not like God or His law, doesn't wish to please God and cannot, and will not receive the things of the Spirit of God and cannot. This is not because natural man is unable to make a choice and rather acts as a robot. Rather, it is because the natural man has a strong preference for sin and a strong preference against Jesus Christ. The inward man, the creation of Jesus Christ within us, is what delights in the law of God. It is this incredible creative work of Christ at regeneration that gives man the necessary love of God and His law, and gives man the great desire to serve and please God, that brings about a case where man prefers Jesus Christ over sin and sinful living.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree. I believe calvinists deny both 1 and 2 in your scenario, hence the corpse theology (dead men can't do anything) or Henry Ford theology ("you can choose any color Model T as long as it's black).

Choose or choice by definition (there's that pesky sticking to properly defined terms thing) requires more than one option or it's not a choice.

If you go solely on a 21st century understanding of slavery as it has occurred in the last century, you would be right. The OT and NT era slavery was the equivalent of bankruptcy today...you most certainly had a choice to become a slave back then.

#28 webdog, Sep 20, 2010
  9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Charles, welcome to the Baptist Board, and I hope you enjoy your time here. Just a small matter to alert you about. Please note that this is a Baptist-only forum. Your profile makes no mention of such affiliation.

Please feel free to post in those fora that are open to all denominations.

10. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Calvinist do not deny the first sense. I again refer you to Jonathan Edwards. In fact, I would hold sense one is essential to Cals doctrine. That many Cals express sense one using different terminology is true, but the concept remains present. Only the hyper-Cal would reject sense one. Usually what you refer to as the corpse or Henry Ford theologies are straw men of the Cals position. Instead the more typical position in reformed theology is that natural man can choose whatever he wishes...his nature is just so corrupt that he will always wish to reject God and thus will always choose to reject God.

Sense one in no way denies that more than one option is present. All that freedom requires is that one is able to choose differently if they wanted to do so. The Cism does not deny the capacity to choose otherwise if one so wished, it denies that natural man would ever wish to choose otherwise.

Point of fact: True of OT slavery when it was practiced according to the Law (although only true among Hebrews - forget it if you were a non-Hebrew). Not true of NT era slavery.

#30 dwmoeller1, Sep 20, 2010
  11. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

IOW, you agree with me :)

12. moral necessity

Site Supporter

Sorry, Tom. I wasn't aware of the requirement to mention a Baptist affiliation in my profile. I signed up with this board a little over two years ago, and was mainly an occasional reader of the posts. I just recently decided to contribute a little myself.

I just added a part to my bio that speaks of my membership with Grace Reformed Baptist Church in my hometown. Before that, I was a member of a differnet Baptist church for 17 years. The Works of Gill, Spurgeon and Fuller fill several shelves on my library.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks, that clears up the problem.