1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinists help me understand

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Give me a break, you and others have ganged up on me this past day.

And you said I denied the Lordship of Jesus. Man up and admit it, because that is what you accused me of. It is an utterly false accusation.

You said you wondered if I would deny hell. Where have I EVER said any such thing? I have talked about the rich man who died and went to hell numerous times.

You have set yourself up as a judge of other men. Just remember, you will be judged by the same standard you judge others. That is not my words, but the words of Jesus.

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

You better read that a couple of times until you understand it.

3. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

That was rich.........
    I've seen a lot of your weird novelties....

like your interpretation of the Prodigal Son...

Your claim that Ninevah had a population capable of sustaining 120,000 infants..........(a numerically remarkable claim from any historical standpoint)

And I've openly disagreed with them......

I've NEVER seen you deny the reality of a literal HELL.

In what weird alternate Universe did Evan dream up THAT accusation??? :confused:

4. Inspector Javert

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's the whole point, they don't debate the scripture I post. They don't debate that the prodigal son is "alive again". They don't debate that Jesus was "made of the seed of David according to the flesh".

No, one of them will call me a Pelagian, when I would be willing to bet none of them actually knows what Pelagius believed. Then the others will come on and say, "Great post, you utterly refuted that heretic!"

That's all they've got. They just slap each other on the back and tell each other how great they are. They never refute the arguments presented them.

Oh, they might copy and paste a confession. Wow.

They can't prove or defend their own doctrine and they know it. So, they simply try to slam and slur their opponents. It's all they've got.

6. Inspector Javert

#166 Inspector Javert, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  7. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Okay guys...let's get back to the topic of the OP and the book of Jonah....

I have read it like 4 times in the KJV and once in the YLT in the last couple days or so. I think that the focal point is obviously Jonah, and not the Ninevahites. It shows Jonah as an OT picture of Christ in that he was in the whale's belly three days and nights, was asleep in the bottom of the ship, was cast aside by people around him, &c., and the same things happened to Jesus.

I also see it that God used him to show him, and conversely us, how He deals with His creation. There had to be some that truly repented, seeing that Jesus referenced them in Matthew 12 and Luke 11. But I don't think anything Calvinistic or Arminianistic can truly be gleaned from this book, imo...

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Oh, I don't know about that, it seems God's Sovereign plan was going to be fulfilled no matter what Jonah tried to do via his 'free will'. :smilewinkgrin:

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    his deniel of original Sin is bad enough, but he does seem to skirt the boundary as to if one is able to be rightious by keeping the law, or by stating that jesus was just as us, so that would mean, or else imply, that he did not need to come Virgin born to avoid the fall, or else that we are born in a sinless state as he was in!

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Touche'. The point I attempted to make is that some repentance in OT days was akin to what the sailors on the ship did when they were calling upon their gods. They were pagans to the core. I am sure some of that city truly repented, but to say every single, solitary person did, is quite a stretch.

Hey, but there were ~120,000 infants that didn't have to repent, youse nose???

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Those 120,000 persons who could not discern between their right hand and their left hand were the reason God implied he SHOULD spare Nineveh.

Jon 4:11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

This question demands a YES answer. God was telling Jonah he SHOULD spare Nineveh. It was the RIGHT THING to do.

Why? Because little children are not guilty of sin and do not deserve death. I am not saying little children do not do wrong things, they most certainly do wrong things at times, but they are not held accountable because they do not truly understand their actions. Our courts treat little children the same way, if a three year old boy picked up his father's pistol and shot his sister to death, no court in the world would charge that little boy with a crime.

Well, maybe ONE court would;

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...boy-charged-with-attempted-murder-in-pakistan

This was the famous case of a nine month old boy being charged with attempted murder earlier this year in Pakistan. It made Pakistan the laughing stock of the world.

Later on they came to their senses and dropped all charges.

As bad as Muslim countries are, they will not charge little children with crime. Those who think little children are wicked sinners who deserve hell have a screw loose somewhere.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I showed you half a dozen verses that all showed Jesus was MADE of the SEED of David according to the flesh. He was made of the FRUIT of David's LOINS.

What part of that is too difficult for you to understand?

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Your argument isn't with me, your argument is with the Word of God.

The audacity of some folks to openly deny what the scriptures directly say!

#173 Winman, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Your view has infants on par with Christ.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Wrong. Scripture says little children have done NEITHER good nor evil.

Rom 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )

Jesus did not only do NO wrong, everything he did was RIGHT. Jesus did good and righteous works. Jesus actually merited eternal life, something NO MAN has ever, or will ever do.

A little child cannot be guilty of sin because he does not understand between good and evil, but by the same token, he cannot be credited with doing good for the same exact reason.

That said, the child is guiltless, he is upright, he is without sin. He needs no repentance.

Luk 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Did Jesus speak of nonsense? Jesus here spoke of 99 sheep (people) that did not go astray and need no repentance. According to Original Sin, no such persons exist, yet Jesus spoke of people who need no repentance.

And we know from Matthew 18 Jesus is speaking of little children when he repeats this parable.

Mat 18:12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
    13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
    14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

Jesus is speaking of little children in Matthew chapter 18. He tells his disciples they must be CONVERTED and BECOME as little children to enter heaven. Was Jesus telling his disciples they must become wicked little sinners to enter heaven? Absurd.

Jesus warns against offending little children because they have angels who do ALWAYS behold his Father's face. Is Jesus teaching that wicked little sinners have guardian angels? Nonsense.

And once again, Jesus speaks of one sheep who left the flock and BECAME lost (he was not originally lost). Jesus searched for this one lost sheep (no man is passed by) until he found it. Then Jesus said there is more rejoicing over this one sinner who repents than ninety nine persons WHICH WENT NOT ASTRAY.

To believe Calvinism, you must believe that Jesus spoke of nonsense. :rolleyes:

Do not believe the false doctrines of men folks, believe the Bible. :thumbs:

#175 Winman, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In your view...babies are sinless and Christ is sinless...both on par with each other...

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In your view....kill the babies or don't tell them about Jesus....safe in heaven either way...

18. preacher4truth

No touche' necessary brother, and that is not my point. This has nothing to do with 'how many' were saved, that is beside the point.

Repentance is of God, not man, Romans 2:4, so if any truly repented the glory belongs to God, not to those 'who did'. It has to do with God Sovereignly accomplishing His goal in spite of rebellious Jonah. Therefore I see DoG in this message.

19. preacher4truth

In addition to this to believe that every single person 'did this' would not be a 'stretch' as repentance is of God, not man, and I believe He could in fact accomplish this. :)

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I agree. The focal point is Jonah, and not Ninevah. But, did you know ~120,000 infants didn't need to repent?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.