1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinists- How many points?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Feb 18, 2011.

?
  1. I hold to all five points of TULIP

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. I reject or have issues with T- Total Depravity

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. I reject or have issues with U- Unconditional Election

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. I reject or have issues with L- Limited Atonement

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. I reject or have issues with I- Irresistable Grace

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. I reject or have issues with P- Perseverance of the Saints

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. I reject or have issues with two or more points- Please identify which points

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Other- Please explain

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I see, two wrongs DO make a right?

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say that ?

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

How else can I say that, in my opinion, Calvinism is wrong and does damage to the cause of Christ. It's not the particular people who I despise, it's the teachings of Calvinism. The people are sincere, just sincerely wrong.

4. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    okay, what damage does it do to the cause of Christ ?
    do you sincerely think that any human power can do damage to a cause if it is from and of God ?

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

No, a person cannot damage God, but they can teach error which influences what people believe. People are lead astray by cults all the time (No, I am not saying that Calvinism is a cult).

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well now here's an example.
    As Primitive Baptists we believe worship ought to be solemnly directed to the Sovereign God alone and therefore we do not include in our worship such things as might appeal to the flesh and direct praise to man instead of God and so we have no choirs, no musical instruments, no special numbers, nothing that will cause praise no matter how miniscule and in passing to a choir director, or a musician, or a singer, and so our worship services consist of praying, congregational singing, and preaching.
    We believe in the Doctrine of Grace.

Now, let's say that half a block from us is a Pentecostal church. Well, they're not only Pentecostal, they're four gospel, and so they have all these trimmings of today's "praise and worship" services. Choruses sung repeatedly by praise leaders, drums, cymbals, guitars, keyboards, the works, and then there's all these hand waving and crying and tongue-ing :tongue3: going on and they have 20 minutes of preaching and everybody goes home feeling good and all bubbly and admiring the band and the "dance worship" and so on, and WE the PB's think they are in error, while they, the Four Gospels, think we are in error.

So, which of us are now cursed to hell because of error, do you think ? From whom did Christ un-power His blood ? Pray identify the error that each of us may have that may cause God to tell Christ to un-know His children in both groups ?

Error is the way of this fallen world, sir.
    Even on this board one can spot many errors.
    You call the Doctrine of Grace error.
    We call your system of soteriology, error.
    Whom then between us of the Doctrine of Grace, and you of the God-allows-man-choice-without-sacrificing-His-Sovereignty-philosophy will He disown and remove from His roll ?
    If we say you, what is our basis for it ?
    If you say, us, what is your basis for it ?

No, the Holy Spirit, speaking through Paul, says it best:

Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth .
    Who is he that condemneth ? It is Christ that died , yea rather , that is risen again , who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us....

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Two very bad assumptions here. One is that the Primitive Baptist don't appeal to the flesh. I say thy appeal more than the hypocrites do. They claim to be holy, yet they revel in self-righteousness.

Second, is that the others are not allowing God to be sovereign. God, in His sovereignty can give man free will and still be sovereign, something you seem unable to grasp.

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

But two wrights made an airplane!!!

... sorry, just haven't said that one in a long time. :)

9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert, I have tried to discuss with you in a civil way, but your hatred of Primitive Baptists just always seem to get the best of you, and you end up painting my people in a bad light. You are so miserable.
    I feel sorry for you.
    May God comfort you.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six pointer. In old days there was a "presupposition" that was understood and held by all. Sadly, today, it is held by few. So maybe we need a new "first" point, then the conventional 5.

1 - God is the Sovereign God in control of all things, and I'm not

2 - Role of man in salvation: Complete inability to do any righteous thing in the sight of God and willingly on his way to hell; if he's going to be saved it will be 100% of God (see #1)

3 - Role of God the Father in salvation: Before the foundation of the world He selected some of the hell-bound, hell-deserving based on no condition or foreseen merit (which, of course, they couldn't have anyway) to receive grace

4 - Role of God the Son in salvation: Vicarious substitutionary atonement to assuredly redeem all those God selected (see #3) and not lose any, allowing the Father to then justify sinners and adopt them as His children

5 - Role of God the holy Spirit in salvation: Effectively work inwardly in the hearts of those the Father selected (see #3) and for whom the Son actually atoned for (see #4) to regenerate them with a new spiritual nature so that they could repent of sin and believe the Gospel (of which they were previously incapable (see #2)

6 - Role of the Triune Godhead in salvation: To keep all those selected (see #3), atoned for (see #4) and regenerated (see #4) for all eternity

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

"Whosoever will" are the elect of God. No problem with reconciliation of these two "friends" (ala Spurgeon).

You need to get out more... Plenty of churches with Reformed Doctrine in Kentucky. Southern Seminary in Louisville is considered by many the headquarters for those practicing the Doctrines of Grace (also called Reformed, Calvinistic, etc.).

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps there should be a follow up poll to find out how many of these people who are Calvinists were Free Willers before becoming Calvinists. And then why the conversion.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This needs to be repeated. Calvinism is a lot larger and more full-orbed than the famous 5 propositions.(And the famous T.U.L.I.P is a severely shortened version of the decisions of the Synod of Dort)

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When "Calvinism" departs from being biblical it is not really Calvinism.

It sounds as if you have never met a Calvinist face-to-face. That is quite unusual for a man your age. Have you ever heard of Rolfe Barnard?

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another nonsense quote for the week by Sir Robert. So,in your view Calvinism fits hand-in-glove with today's lazy,self-serving society! Whew! Please try to defend that super-silly charge.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Colin Maxwell is a fine man. I have quoted him on the BB as far back as 9/12/07. He sets things out nicely.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, "The Whole Machinery of Salvation":

[Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.]
    Charles Spurgeon, "Though He Were Dead":

[John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?]

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Since we cannot have faith in what (or whom) we do not know, God necessarily precedes our faith, and indeed, the Scriptures tell us that faith is a gift of God given to us. That we can have faith is evidence that God has gifted us, so no need to reconcile faith and "whosoever."

19. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That goes against everything I believe..................that is not the God of the Bible. Does He know who will accept Him and who will not? Yes, I know that He does. Did He make that choice for them? No, He did not.

And please, don't try to tell me I don't understand it. I have spent quite a bit of time (a few years, actually) TRYING to understand how Calvinism can "fit" into Christianity..............it doesn't.

#59 Baptist4life, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  20. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

So you are saying that Calvinists are not Christians? You need to be careful with your words. Calvinism is part of Christianity, just a part you don't agree with, and that's fine.

And they Bible says that He chose us, so I believe it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.