1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinists in the SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This is new to me. Could you cite your source?

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

For information about the history of Baptists and their beliefs Thomas Nettles (SBTS Prof.) is generally a good guy to read. He has some good books about Baptists, particularly one on Calvinism being historically held to by Baptists. The title escapes me right now. Just a resource to suggest.

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hello drfuss. In the eighteenth century there was much persecution of any denomination but the state church. The Baptist were very much persecuted. Baptist ministers who desired education pretty much had three choices. They could return to England, which a few did before the Revolution made that less feasible; they could read on their own; or they could attend Harvard or Yale, especially later in the century. Howevr, Baptists faced harrassment and second-class treatment at these schools. Further, many were proselyted to the state religion before graduation.
    In the eighteenth century, Baptists established a number of academies in the Middle Colonies, and Charleston Baptists established a fund in 1755 for teh education of young ministers. HOwever, the crowning educational achievement of the century was the founding of Rhode Island College in 1764, the first Baptist college in the new world.
    There were Baptist academies established at Hopewell, New Jersey, and education was funded by the Charleston Fund, who formed "The Religious Society," a group without official connection to the Charleston association, to promote education. The Rhode Island College was opened in 1764 at Warren but moved in 1770 to Providence. That College was mostly Baptist, but they included other denominations also.
    It is hard for us to imagine the hardship and persecution that our forefathers had to endure for the sake of Christ. We as Baptist should be forever grateful for the efforts of our historical founders. I hope this helps you. Much of this information is from "The Baptist Heritage" by McBeth.

4. NateT

NateT Member

The book is titled "By His Grace for His Glory"

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Thats it...thanks. My mind draws blanks when it comes to remembering titles and/or authors sometimes.

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

So she can say whatever she likes but be accepted by you because she's calvinist? Come on.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Leon McBeth said that in a class on Baptist history.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Wonder what his source was.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

First, I do not believe that was what I woulda said.

Second, Spurgeon and other 'good English Baptists' came along 2 centuries after Baptists got to the new world AND they were just before the English Baptists began a pretty bad slide . . . .

Third, the first separatists to get to the new world were VERY ARMINIAN. Ain't history FUN!?

Fourth, there have always been some of each.

Fifth, most of the time there were more non-calivnists (mostly calvinistic) than there were calvinists.

Sixth, what I was saying was: "Before Baptists (SBC) began building our seminaries, the students had to go to the old school (mostly "new-light" presbyterian strongholds of reformed theology - think Hodge and his predecessors Jonathan Edwards & Archibald Alexander . . . ).

One would expect most of the students of "new-light" presbyterian schools to hold fairly close to their theology . . . minus the infant baptism . . . At least I would.

:godisgood:

:thumbs:

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I think that Leon McBeth woulda most likely said, that some Baptists have practiced pedobaptism and many 'new-light' calvinists practiced it as well . . . I am not sure that he woulda said that even most Baptists woulda practiced that.

I might be wrong . . .

11. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Yeah.... she's in the club... wanna join? :laugh:

If you can't read what she intended then go back and try again. It was rather vague.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

;)

Maybe it shoulda been said that reformed seminaries were a major influence to our seminary training - 'cause there were also two other currents moving strongly through the south . . . one called Sandy Creek (NC? - check it out and see) and the other Charleston (SC? check it out also).

:thumbs:

PTS (Princeton Theological) was the strong seminary for many years (1800's) before that was Princeton (story is not germane for this discussion) . . . and two great presidents founded seminaries in the south so that men of God might be able to train for the ministry in ENGLISH [for those men that were not afforded classical educations] . . . that is from memory . . . so don't tell me it was almost a quote.

There was also Union.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not know because many of my books are in storage. He has written several books on Baptist history.