1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvin's Hermeneutical Skills - Get Ready To Laugh!

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dean198, Aug 16, 2004.

1. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 5:34 : “The Anabaptists, not content with this moderate use of oaths, condemn all, without exception, on the ground of our Saviour’s general prohibition, “ I say unto you, Swear not at all :” […] we shall not suppose that Christ condemned all oaths but those only which transgressed the rule of the Law […] Those who condemn oaths think their argument invincible when they fasten on the expression, “not at all”.” Institutes 2:8:26.

John 3: 5 : “our Savior intimates the mode in which God regenerates us — viz. by water and the Spirit; in other words, by the Spirit, who, in irrigating and cleansing the souls of believers, operates in the manner of water. By “water and the Spirit,” therefore, I simply understand the Spirit, which is water.” Institutes 4:16:25.

Acts 2:38 : “Repent and be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins” (Acts 2:37, 38). In like manner, when Philip was asked by the eunuch to baptize him, he answered, “If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.” Hence they think they can make out that baptism cannot be lawfully given to anyone without previous faith and repentance. Institutes 4:16:23

Acts 22:16 : “It will, perhaps, be objected, Why did Ananias say to Paul that he washed away his sins by baptism (Acts 22:16), if sins are not washed away by the power out baptism? […] All then that Ananias meant to say was, Be baptized, Paul, that you may be assured that your sins are forgiven you.” Institutes 4:15:15.

Acts 19:3-5 : “But they seem to think the weapon which they brandish irresistible, when they allege that Paul rebaptized those who had been baptized with the baptism of John […]But I deny that they were rebaptized. What then is meant by the words, “They were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus “? Some interpret that they were only instructed in sound doctrine by Paul; but I would rather interpret more simply, that the baptism of the Holy Spirit, in other words, the visible gifts of the Holy Spirit, were given by the laying on of hands. These are sometimes designated under the name of baptism. Institutes 4:15:18.

Romans 10:17 : “But faith, they say, cometh by hearing, the use of which infants have not yet obtained, nor can they be fit to know God, being, as Moses declares, without the knowledge of good and evil (Deuteronomy 1:39). But they observe not that where the apostle makes hearing the beginning of faith, he is only describing the usual economy and dispensation which the Lord is wont to employ in calling his people, and not laying down an invariable rule, for which no other method can be substituted.” Institutes 4:16:19.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So what is funny about that??? While the use of ellipsis always gives cause for concern (since Hunt so grossly abused it, along with people like Riplinger and others), there doesn't seem to be anything out of line about what he said, at least as I quickly read it. I think, with a quick reading, that every single point is a position held by evangelicals today.

But since this appears to be about something other than Calvinism vs. Arminianism (soteriology) then I will move it to an appropriate forum.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calvin Rocks, he was one of the best reformers the church ever had. He certainley put an end to Catholiscm.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin lived at a time when, as now, you needed more than ten years to put on the Catholic priest's robe. Ten years of burning eyebrows, so to speak.
    Between you, Dean 198, and Calvin, who I am sure, reads Latin back and forth, I suppose one can learn more from Calvin.
    Sure he has a Catholic view on baptism, but, the wrong or right baptism neither saves nor damns, so the egg lands on your face, not his.

5. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Calvin had a faulty Order of Salvation which elevated election and made justification by faith alone optional. This has produced many heresies among his followers. For example, many Calvinists deny that elect children can have their own faith and, therefore, refuse to baptize children. Other Calvinists say children do not need a saviour. They proclaim a universal paedo-salvation apart from regeneration, faith, or even Christ.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JG said:
    Let the Calvinists speak.

As far as Primitive Baptists are concerned, we baptize according to what we believe to be the scriptural pattern.

Adults or at least, with enough understanding to knows why, wherefore and whereof they are being baptized.
    Voluntary.
    Immersion.
    Public.
    Confession of Jesus Christ as Savior.

7. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin was a man of knowledge, and as such we can learn things from him. However I found his irreverent approach to scripture so full of I Am Rightness and hideous logic as to be extremely funny. I might agree with him on baptism for the remission of sins, but I would not write a book saying 'well actually Ananias meant to say this...' That is just too funny. With regards to the outward ordinance of baptism, when united with saving faith, I concur with Calvin to a degree and agree with him when he wrote:

"Christ by baptism has made us partakers of his death, engrafting us into it. And as the twig derives substance and nourishment from the root to which it is attached, so those who receive baptism with true faith truly feel the efficacy of Christ’s death in the mortification of their flesh, and the efficacy of his resurrection in the quickening of the Spirit." 4:15:5

And again:

"is to be a sign and evidence of our purification, or (better to explain my meaning) it is a kind of sealed instrument by which he assures us that all our sins are so deleted, covered, and effaced, that they will never come into his sight, never be mentioned, never imputed. For it is his will that all who have believed, be baptized for the remission of sins. Hence those who have thought that baptism is nothing else than the badge and mark by which we profess our religion before men, in the same way as soldiers attest their profession by bearing the insignia of their commander, having not attended to what was the principal thing in baptism; and this is, that we are to receive it in connection with the promise, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” (Mark 16:16)." 4:15:1

Dean

8. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Let the Calvinists speak.

As far as Primitive Baptists are concerned, we baptize according to what we believe to be the scriptural pattern.

Adults or at least, with enough understanding to knows why, wherefore and whereof they are being baptized.
    Voluntary.
    Immersion.
    Public.
    Confession of Jesus Christ as Savior.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Faith is not a matter of man's knowledge of why, wherefore and whereof. This is where Calvin erred in his Order of Salvation and, thereby, promoted the Baptist heresy.

In our church, baptism of infants is voluntary. The child is asked if he wishes to be baptized. Immersion is permitted. The baptism is public except for emergency baptism. The infant is asked to confess his faith in Jesus Christ as Savior before he is baptized.