1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Campbell University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone here have an opinion of Campbell University? Their Divinity School?

Several years ago when I was first considering going to seminary I had a meeting with the Dean of Campbell's Divinity (Dr. Cogdill). He was a nice gentleman but there was just something about the program/school that made me uncomfortable. I did start the application process (etc) for Campbell Divinity School. My pastor, at that time, recommended Southeastern Seminary in Raleigh (NC) and he even drove me and one other guy to Southeastern for a visit. We got a personal tour of the campus from a guy in admissions and even got to visit Dr Paige Patterson's office. I was very impressed with Southeastern Seminary and never finished applying at Campbell. I enjoyed my time at Southeastern but I had to change to Liberty's distance learning program because of my job and other situations. The other guy my pastor took to Southeastern that day had just graduated from Campbell with a BA degree and also had a meeting with the Dean of the Divinity School at Campbell. On the day we drove to Southeastern with with our pastor we both talked about how there was something that made us uncomfortable about Campbell. My brother started his BS degree at Campbell but transfered after the first semester. He hated Campbell with a passion.

I also compare Campbell's campus to Liberty's campus. At Liberty there is a different "feel" to the campus than at Campbell. I'm not sure what it is but there is something about Campbell University that just does not sit well with me.

Campbell University

Campbell Divinity School

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good friend of mine, Steve Harmon, teaches at Campbell. He is a person of integrity.

I have met Dr. Cogdill on two occasions as was impressed. Regarding the “feeling” that you have about the school... I have not visited the campus of Campbell so I have no opinion. Perhaps you don’t feel right about the place because God is not calling you there? Or perhaps you feel uncomfortable about it because so-called “conservatives” love to bash Campbell and you don’t want to go to a place that is constantly under attack?

I don’t know what your situation is, but there’s a decent chance that your “feelings” have nothing to do with the school itself, just your attitude toward it or God’s call for you to it.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Around these parts Campbell is well liked. I think over half of my high school class went to Campbell University. In fact when I first started looking into Seminaries it was my first choice. So I don't think it was a matter of Campbell being bashed by conservatives. At that time I knew nothing of those issues with Campbell (though I do now). The main reason my pastor wanted me to attend Southeastern was because he earned his MDiv and DMin from Southeastern (this is my old pastor; not my current pastor who graduated from Covington). He never said anything bad about Campbell and was more than happy to fill out the needed paper work for me to attend Campbell. Also the meeting with Dr. Cogdill occured several days before I had my first "offical" meeting with my pastor on the issue. So I don't think that was the issue.

As for God's call, well, you may be right. I do wonder though why at least one other person had the same concern that I did. I suppose it could have just been that we were on the same page? I don't know.

==The day I talked with Dr. Cogdill I got a tour of the Divinity School but nothing beyond that. The campus is in a very rural area and it looks nice. However several years later when I was helping my brother move into his dorm I got a close-up look at some structural issues that caused me some concern. The dorms were very old and in somewhat bad shape. I think they have fixed that problem since then though. Overall it is a very nice campus. The school puts a lot of focus on its graduate programs (pharmacy, law, business, divinity, etc). It is not like Liberty which spends most of its time promoting the undergraduate programs.

O, yes, Dr. Cogdill. Like I said he was very nice and very helpful. We sat in his office and talked for nearly an hour. He went out of his way to make me feel welcomed and he gladly answered every question I had.

#3 Martin, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have no firsthand knowledge of Campbell. FWIW, I do know that Campbell is one of a few schools that are wanting to break ties with the convention in NC reportedly because of the convention's stance regarding the sinfulness of homosexuality. The others are Mars Hill, Wingate, and Gardner-Webb. Wake Forest already did so many years ago, fearing convention action based on homosexual wedding ceremonies performed on campus.

#4 TomVols, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yea Wake Forest's Divinity school, in my opinion, is is "out to lunch". I don't think Campbell goes that far though. I know back in the 90s the rock group the Gin Blossoms performed at Campbell. It caused plenty of controversy and that is pretty amazing considering that the Gin Blossoms are hardly ACDC (if you get my drift). Also my brother told me that they do not allow students to go barefoot on campus and they do have other rules such as that. So Campbell seems to be more conservative than Wake Forest. My current concern with their Divinity school is that it seems very, how do I put this, "mushy". Do you get what I mean by that? It seems like they may focus on ministry so much that they lose their focus on proper doctrine. I have this concern based on a dvd I got from the school last year. Of course back when I was first going to seminary I knew nothing of that so this is a more recent concern.

#5 Martin, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  6. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

It is a mischaracterization to state that these schools are loosening their ties with the state Baptist convention in North Carolina as a result of either the convention's or their stand on homosexuality. That's not the case at all. The schools don't want to have their trustees named, and their administration controlled by a faction of fundamentalists that are not representative of the constituency from which they draw the majority of their students. Wake Forest's relationship with the BSCNC was altered long before homosexuality became a political weapon and a religious hot potato issue.

I know several Campbell alumni, including one pastor in the area. They are theologically conservative, thoroughly evangelical and very much in the Baptist mainstream.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The homosexuality plank of the story comes from reports in both the Baptist and Reflector and the CBF-leaning Western Recorder (KY). Quotes are from leaders at the schools. You have to be a subscriber to access WR's archives, and I'm not sure if the filler blurbs are kept in the B&R archives. It doesn't appear so on the website. I get three newspapers a day, four weekly newspapers, along with a host of weekly and monthly magazines. These two have long ago been recycled, since I like having a wife that let's me sleep in the house :laugh:

8. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

I'm not quite sure what you are implying here about LU, Martin.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing other than the campus has a real Christian atmosphere about it. Campbell University does not, in my opinion, have that.

10. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

So you were contrasting and not comparing the two. Thanks for the clarification.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Right, sorry for the confusion.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I had a few friends that attended Campbell, one who attended the Divinity School. While I am sure there are faithful people serving and attending there, I can't recommend the school.

If you think Wake Forest Divinity School is out to lunch, Campbell just finished breakfast and is getting the munchies. Not as sound a school as we might want to find. The theological litimus test you would want to apply would find them to be a moderate school. If you are looking for somewhere else to study other than LU I'm certain there are some other option available to you. I'd stay away from Campbell. :)

13. NCBOSOXFAN

NCBOSOXFAN New Member

Questions

I am curious as to why you feel this way about Campbell. I have a few friends in their MDIV program and I could not be more impressed. Strong Biblical teaching with a family-like atmosphere....that's how I would describe it. Although I am sure it is not for everyone, I believe that Campbell Divinity School is a outstanding place to learn and develop skills for the minstry...

14. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I visited Campbell's divinity school in the late '90s, I was impressed by their family-like atmosphere. However, they seem to cater to those who were raised in North Carolina and expect to remain there the rest of their lives--as one of their financial assistance programs(which significantly knocked down tuition costs) required these students to remain in North Carolina for three years after graduation.

15. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good School

Campbell is a good school where one can receive a fine education. I've met some of the faculty and know graduates. I would recommend it.

#15 untangled, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007