1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Camping Sets Another Date for Jesus' Return

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Marcia, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Camping's cult has made the news. The article shows several photos of his followers with signs (some on cars) citing May 21, 2011 as the end of the world.

http://www.thedailymaverick.co.za/article/2010-01-06-doomsday-cultists-warn-the-daily-maverick

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is just beyond sad. I can't believe that there are those who fall for this stuff but it's clear there are. What gets me is how smart some of these people are - at least the family that I know personally. I mean this one family is highly educated and a wonderful family but just sorely deceived. :(

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, it's sad and hard to accept when believers fall for such teachings.

When I speak on the New Age, sometimes a Christian will say they can't imagine how anyone could believe in reincarnation or that there is no evil. I always point out that spiritual deception has nothing to do with intellect. Just look at all the smart people caught up in false beliefs. It happens to Christians, too, who should know better. Much of the NT was written to warn about false teachers, who were infiltrating the early church as soon as they could.

I think one reason Christians fall for these things is likely based in pride in some way. Pride seems to lead to a lot of bad stuff.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Truer words could not have been spoken. Case in point, original sin.:thumbsup:

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Don't go off topic. I started this thread and if you try to take it in that direction (which seems to be your main focus), I will immediately ask a mod to delete your post and/or warn you.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Peace Marcia:saint:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Good point. I would just as soon have Camping right about the date as wrong! The sooner the better, IMO.:thumbs:

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Except now we know it probably won't be 2011 since Camping has predicted it, and no man can know that. And it probably won't be 2012 since there are (pagan) predictions for that year as an end time (although some see it as an evolutionary change, not an end, and also people are misinterpreting what the Mayans said, which is just that 2012 marks the end of a long cycle of time in their measurements).

10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Well, with the number of prognosticators out there, one of them will eventually be right - not because they 'knew', but because they got lucky.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I see what you're saying but since Jesus described his return as like "a thief in the night" and painted it as coming when no one expects Him, I tend to think it will be a time when no one has predicted or expected it.

12. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I don't know if any of those times exsist anymore! :tonofbricks:

13. eightball

eightball New Member

A little extract from Romans Chapter 1..... and Matthew Chapter 24.... Basically the bible puts Camping on the skewer of false teaching.

Romans 1:21-22 (Author - Apostle Paul)
    21. "For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened."
    22. "Professing to be wise, they became fools.......

Matthew 24:36(Jesus speaking)
    "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone." (Jesus explaining the end times)