1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a Calvinist know for sure?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Roy1, Jul 19, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These texts do not describe a casual “drift into heaven”.

But rather a “pressing on” as in Phil 3 and a “buffeting” as in 1Cor 9.

2. rc

rc New Member

because they can always have total and complete "assurance" TODAY - they just can't "logically" have assurance for 10 years from today

To bad your faith doesn't give you salvation for tommorow Bob.

I'm saved. And Christ will keep me because HIS PROMISE to. Your faith is in your choice, because that is your God which can fail tomorrow. My faith is in GOD, who promised to keep me, today and tomorrow.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is an interesting twist -- I never said that an Arminian does not have salvation ten years from today.

The problems with each model listed remains - (though I appreciate the need to dance around the points they raise.)

In Christ,

Bob

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A person's salvation, or their security thereof, is not contingent upon how arminian or calvinistic their views are. If anyone ever implies to you that a person who is calvininst/arminian/etc is not saved, or cannot be sure they're saved, that person needs to attend a few more Pharisees Anonymous meetings.

5. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

A person's salvation is not contingent upon how arminian or calvinistic their views are. If anyone ever implies to you that a person who is calvininst/arminian/etc is not saved, that person needs to attend a few more Pharisees Anonymous meetings. </font>[/QUOTE]Hi john
    You are right a person salvation is not contingent on their arminian or Calvinistic views. But what they believe about those things affect how they live today and for the future.

But can a Calvinist holding to the doctrine of perseverance have full assurance toady, that was my question.

It is no attack or any implication on their salvation. The Calvinist or Armenian may fully trust and in Christ and be genuinely saved, regardless of what they feel about eternal security, (But boy will they be in for a surprise when they get to heaven regardless of their arminian or Calvinistic stance).

Thanks.
    Roy.
    [​IMG]

6. rc

rc New Member

That question is fair, BUT based on a false understanding of the definition of perseverance. Perseverance is something that God does not man. We WILL persevere NOT have to persevere. It is the BEDROCK of our assurance. This is the only way you CAN have ANY assurance. If we didn't have the promise of God that we are in His hands and no one (including ourselves) can pluck us out, there is NO assurance. It is unfortunate that the word, taken at face value can be misleading, but this is the true meaning of the doctrine.

With this teaching in mind, there are false converts in the Church. And not being truly enlightened will take these promises as a license to sin with a false sense of fire insurance. Paul anticipated this, and dealt with it by warning EVERYONE that confessing Christ and then living in the world is not true doctrine. These verses are imperatives and in no wise contradict anything to do with the doctrine of perseverance.

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

very true...
    [​IMG]

8. philg

philg New Member

Since we all sin what is the line between security and living in the world? How much must one sin for it to be said he is living in the world.
    How do you know a false convert in other words.

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Since we all sin what is the line between security and living in the world? How much must one sin for it to be said he is living in the world.
    How do you know a false convert in other words.
    ##############

i do not think this should be the question. How much we can get away with is a view of self. The view should be..what more can I do for God...for i worship Him.

Yet...there are those that live this way. They want to take liberty to the limit... to the edge and still say they say they love God. Hey...i can not see their heart..only God knows. But in action...always wanting more..more..more more liberty...moving the fence back..pushing the limits to new positions. ...is this moving toward God? or away?

do not get me wrong. I believe in the liberty of grace from LAWS. But when we focus on this..this is the path we take. Just as peter took his eys off of God...he sank. We too...fall when we look for freedoms and Not at Christ

I say...stay away from the edge as much as you can. Why not show God you love Him..and think about Him..not your freedoms

This is one thing that kills me on this new found church growth stuff. Lets be more like the world...to bring them in. Sounds good....but in the end...you will be like the world.

Ok..stop the hate mails...i'll just leave on my own

In Christ...James
    :D

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are simply dodging the problem for the 3 and 5 point Calvinist. The semantics is not the "problem" so it is also not the "fix".

If you want to say "God fails to persevere for you Ten years from today so THAT is how you know that your assurance TODAY was really fake" -- go ahead but it does not solve your problem.

The problem remains.

In Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Matt 7 Christ said "by their fruits you shall know them". But as Calvin argues - some people that are not saved (by Calvnist retro-delete standards) may indeed "appear" in every respect to be saved.

In Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lets explore the "convincing" and supernatural "provision" Calvinists "must claim" for "fake assurance".

Calvin speaking about Hebrews 6 – admits that the retro-deleted “Assurance” of those who think they have it – is identical to the saved.

He even claims a supernatural work of God done WITHIN them by the Holy Spirit – a sense of goodness in fact a “fading faith” or a temporary faith is ascribed to them and is claimed as a direct results of supernatural means. This is not merely “total depravity” – undisturbed.

Calvin declares that God Himself supernaturally illumines their mind. Calvin’s description of the work of God “to fake this” is truly remarkable.

13. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I think 1 John is clear on our assurance. It is not a matter of us sinning. We all sin. There is a difference between individual sins and living in a State of Sin or living like a Lawless person. We have too many people today who base their assurance on saying a sinner's prayer or shaking a preacher's hand 30 years ago yet they have abandoned the Church and live a lawless life and think they are going to heaven.

1 John 3:9
    No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (NASB)

1 John 3:9
    No one born (begotten) of God [deliberately, knowingly, and [habitually] practices sin, for God's nature abides in him [His principle of life, the divine sperm, remains permanently within him]; and he cannot practice sinning because he is born (begotten) of God. (Amplified Bible)

The natural rendering then is John is NOT referring to single sins or even referring to believers struggling with certain sins in their lives BUT he is addressing the Gnostic heresy that one can live lawless lives (Practice sin) and still profess to be a Christian.

John is making it clear this is wrong and is writing that a true Believer will not live in a state of Sin (lawlessness). A Believer will not practice lawlessness (Live as if there is no God). John is not addressing Christians who are struggling with sin in their lives but is addressing those who are living lawless in sin like there is no God yet profess a relationship with Jesus Christ.

A Christian practices righteousness and is the mark of a believer. A Unbeliever practices sin or lives lawless.

The New Hampshire Baptist Confession 1833 says regarding Believers

that their persevering attachment to Christ is the grand mark which distinguishes them from superficial professors

I think rc gave a excellent understanding of the Calvinist position,

Perseverance is something that God does not man. We WILL persevere NOT have to persevere. It is the BEDROCK of our assurance. This is the only way you CAN have ANY assurance. If we didn't have the promise of God that we are in His hands and no one (including ourselves) can pluck us out, there is NO assurance.

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

well..yes. What you say is very true. But do not add to this.."so fruits keep you saved" aaaw no

fruits show where your love is. I am an artist by trade. I can look at one persons art and see what they thought about when they produced it. What is inside your heart comes out in art. I see the "rock world" in some art. I see hate in some. I see bitterness in others. I see a caring person ...on and on.

Music is like this too. The song in your heart will soundforth!!

James says...SHOW ME YOUR LOVE!!
    or..If you have faith...i better see some works dude.
    If you say you have faith in God...yet show you love yourself more....hey bud...this shows where your love really is.

We however are not to go arond looking at others, That is not the ponit. In doing so...we will want to place our standards on others. This is for us to use on our lives. We are to use James in the right way. Works do not keep us...works shows us who WE are. if you love me...feed my sheep. it's easy too say we love God...show your love

In Christ...James

15. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

The problem with Classical Arminian theology is like Roman Catholicism their view of perseverance has one's works cooperating with the Grace of God (Semi Pelagian theology)to keep one saved. The problem with much Baptist theology (Once Saved Always Saved) is a kinda Cheap Grace, that God perseveres in keeping us saved (State of Justification) BUT God is unable to complete the Work of Sanctification in some.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith in Jesus Christ is never alone. </font>[/QUOTE]The answer I would excpect from someone whose belief system is built on the twisting of words! :D

17. whatever

whatever New Member

Faith in Jesus Christ is never alone. </font>[/QUOTE]The answer I would excpect from someone whose belief system is built on the twisting of words! :D </font>[/QUOTE]Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JAmes the point I am making is not that we need to go around trying to figure out if someone is really saved - my point is that you need to know if YOU are saved.

And the point of Matt 7 is that what you DO DOES show something about whether you are really changed on the inside. If Christ wanted to make the argument that what you do is in no way related to whether you are changed or not - there was a way to say that.

The argument about fruits is very explicitly talking about what you "do" there is no escaping that.

Hence - those 5PT Calvinists that DO hold to the Bible teaching on Perseverance are right in some respects.

In Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "You see then that a man is justified by WORKS and NOT by FAITH ALONE" James 2:24

I sure am glad I didn't say that.

In Christ,

Bob

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Works will show you where your love is...right Bob?

but works will not save you.

Becoming saved to many is only a statement that you believe there is a God and That Gods Son can to die for our sins. This is ture but does not cover the full picture.

This leads to salvation with us in control. This shows...We help God save...we also help God when we have time, in our walk in this life. This view, if it is salvation is very weak savation. I'm not preaching on LORDship salvation...i'm talking about the other end...WEAK trust in God produces WEAK believers

This is why i like to say i worship God.

I lay down on the ground...cry out to God of my need for Him....I do not understand WHY he loves me.....why he elected to share His love with me.
    I cry not my will ,..,i give it all to you my Lord.... and ask "God what can i do for you Lord?...for you are my God".

James says if you love him as you say you do..your body that gives us action of our thoughts comes with salvation. Our actions will show our heart. So works...not your will is what shows our worship. your works should change to Gods will....which then is good works at salvation. The works do not save. But when we worship Him..it comes with salvation.

WORSHIP is the key...not the same as "praise and worship time" we now see in some churches. this type of worship has turned in to easy ways for us enjoy church. i better not get started on that...i'll be typing all day

In Christ...James