1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a man command God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ulsterman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Isaiah 45:11 states, "Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me."

How might a man command God? What might he command Him about? Any thoughts?

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Re-read that sentence again a few times. God is the one
    doing the commanding in this verse. "Ask me of things....."

God is the pilot, not the co-pilot.

3. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I think some of the modern English translations have this right: It's a rhetorical question that implies the answer "no."

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't pretend to know Hebrew, but my concordance tells me that the verb "ask" is imperative. God is telling people to ask. But the verb "command" is in the imperfect mood; there, God is not telling what to do, but rather telling them what they are doing.

I'm sure someone who does know Hebrew could give you a much better and more accurate answer.

5. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I'm sure someone who does know Hebrew could give you a much better and more accurate answer.

ISA 45:11 "This is what the LORD says-- the Holy One of Israel, and its Maker: Concerning things to come, do you question me about my children, or give me orders about the work of my hands?

What about that lot at the NIV? :)

john.

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

That NIV is pretty good, huh? The word "command" is not imperative. The emphasis is more in the way of requesting, not demanding. Most new translations do not repeat the word "command". Words and meanings change over time. The translator needs to humble himself in prayer, consult with his peers, cry out to God for spiritual insight.