1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a Pastor be overly sensitive?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlbcompany, Nov 23, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When a pastor has done serious study he is able to show that he has studied all sides and come to some conclusions and the reasons why. I tell people up front that they are welcome to disagree with me. Then I begin to show how a number of good men will disagree and the viewpoints they hold. I think it helps to see how others can disagree and yet serve God. It is healthy for the younger to see disagreements among the older and see them handled in a healthy way.

The first time someone voiced a disagreement I was surprised. He spoke loud enough so a number could hear. But in the next few sentences I gave some reasons and that person was silenced. It removed his credibility.

Sometimes there are no easy answers. If the preacher addresses the differing points of view it is helpful to the listeners and it shows the preacher did his homework and did not just give another opinion.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

If your open comments can be looked at as a possible open rebuke, then you should reconsider. Since this appears to be the case, your motive also should be reconsidered, examining the possibility of your pride as the most prevelant influence.

Now, you should ask that pastor for a "chance" to discuss any thing privately. I find it amazing how you stated this was open discussion, but then right afterwards you say he denied your interjections as disruptive; it is either of two things/ you were actually disruptive, or he didn't have the answer to your question. So? Your motive MUST be examined. If you are "right", then you are faced with two things: either leave, or be still and know the God is God.

If you are bucking up against pastoral authority, then you are on dangerous ground and open for lightning bolts from Heaven, and God don't miss!!

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

then he was out of order and should have been told so, with the offer to deal with his disagreement privately as to not corrupt the thinking of the simple.

Over-powering him intellectually opens the door for a more intelllectual "war" against the pulpit: a very dangerous situation and very God dishonouring. (much as a lot what happens here on BB is just that!!!)

4. rlbcompany

rlbcompany New Member

Originally posted by Salamander:

If your open comments can be looked at as a possible open rebuke, then you should reconsider. Since this appears to be the case, your motive also should be reconsidered, examining the possibility of your pride as the most prevelant influence.

To clarify, it was not my intent to disrupt or rebuke. I only wanted to either have a question answered because I didn't understand or to bring up a viewpoint for discussion's sake. His reaction disappointed me and was frustrating. I had hoped we could really struggle with the difficult questions and seek truth. After his reaction, it felt that he wanted us to blindly accept or maybe he was not equipped to deal with a true discussion of the deepness of scripture. All my life I have been in Bible Study/Sunday School classes that only looked at the superficial. Everyone was suppose to nod and agree. Dealing with real life and digging into scripture was not done nor was it encouraged. It presented too much of a challenge. If guess I was hoping that this class would be different. I want to "study to show myself approved," not approve with no real study.

5. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

rlb,

As we only have your viewpoint in this matter I will answer in accordance to what you have said and assume that how you stated it is the way it was.

I would have no problem with your above stated approach in my teaching sessions. I like honest questions and input. But I must say that most of the pastors in the area where I serve would have a heart attack if someone questioned them during their teachings. It is a shame, because it seems as though many of these meetings purpose is for everyone to show up and listen to the master-teacher and agree without any real understanding or study. I believe when we meet for teaching the purpose is to grow in the Word. I remember in a former church when I was teaching on Wednesday evening one of the new members asked a question in the middle of the lesson and some of the older members about broke their necks turning around to see who would dare question the pastor. After a few months everyone was involved, but not all pastors are comfortable with that. If that is what you want might I suggest you find a pastor/teacher who is open to that.

Honest questions (IMO) should always be welcome. Disruptive questions with intent to either display the pastors ignorance or someone elses "superior" knowledge need to be avoided. They serve no purpose, but bring harm. If you have a problem with a pastor who does not like questions being asked while he is teaching, you need to approach him privately. If that does not work it may be time to find another place to be involved in learning.

Bro Tony

6. rlbcompany

rlbcompany New Member

A final update:

So there is no confusion...The home church I have listed on my profile is not the church my original post refered to. This church is a small start-up that resulted after a church split in our area. The former church asked the pastor to leave because he was attempting to establish by-laws that put full control in the pastor's hands. He left and 6 or 7 families left with him. Because the church I was a member in was so far away, I thought I would visit this church. I never felt comfortable enought to join and now it becomes clear as to why. From more recent developments that I will not discuss here, it appears the pastor has a mental and/or emotional problem. It seems he at times operates in an alternate reality. It appears he functions many times out of a response to paranoia. Pray for him. We have begun to visit other churches. Thank you for everyone's prayers as we seek a new church.

Let's not forget that behind every pseudonym on these pages, there is a real person with a real life. Real challenges, real pain. Let's always be mindful that the world will know we are Christians by our love. With every post you make, say a short prayer for the one we respond to. It doesn't matter how "right" we are in what we say in our post; if done outside of love, it is "wrong." It has become sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.

[ December 03, 2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: rlbcompany ]