1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can A person Keep the law and live? Have salvation thru the law itself?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some hear see us as NOT being sinners by birth, but by choice, so could ANY ever get saved by keeping the Law?

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

The logical conclusion for that line of thinking would mean the answer should be yes.
    If a person is born without sin, and does not sin until he acts, then he should be able to freely choose to not sin. Therefore he could keep the Law and be saved, if the Law is able to save.

Scripture is against this.
    1. Man is born a sinner. (Psalms and Romans)
    2. Man does not have free will. He cannot choose to not sin. He is a slave to it. (Romans)
    3. The Law is unable to save, because man cannot keep it. It is an obsolete and imperfect covenant (because man cannot keep it and the sacrifices offered no eternal atonement) and God made a new and better one. (Hebrews)

3. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

The Jews were in that camp. They really believed they could keep the law. Now there is nothing inherently wrong with keeping the law as the the law is perfect, but saying you can keep it for salvation is where the sin lies, as you posted above.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Scripture refutes that proposition:

Romans 3:9-20
    9. What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
    10. As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
    11. There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
    12. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
    13. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
    14. Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
    15. Their feet are swift to shed blood:
    16. Destruction and misery are in their ways:
    17. And the way of peace have they not known:
    18. There is no fear of God before their eyes.
    19. Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
    20. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully agree with you and the other brothers on this, but haven't some here seem to implie that it is at leasta possibility, citing how men were considereed to be rightous before God by their acts/deed, called so by God?

Some even saying that some have lived well enough to be saved by that lifestyle?

isn't this , as you stated here, where their views on Sin leads?

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Some do believe that. Others say they do not. We'll have to wait and see if anyone posts and shares their thoughts. I would be interested in seeing how they walk through the process.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF one holds to us having real freew ill, as know some do, then they would have to agree that it is a distinct possibility to be saved by the law, for they would hold Adam had same chance to do that!

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1 wrote;
    I hold to freewill and I'm speaking of those who can understand the Law and know that it's sin to break those commandments. The Bible states;
    Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
    Many have tried to keep the Law but if we can be saved by it, then Christ died for nothing. No man keeps the Law because all have sinned. We are not born sinners simply because we are not being punished for Adam's sin. If we were born sinners we would have sinned before we were born and that is ridiculous.
    ia

10. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Do you mean that people who do not know the law are not capable of sin? I know a common Wesleyan ideal is that sin is tightly defined as being the willful breaking of a known law of God.

I reject that entirely and am only stating it here for help in understanding your specific view.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a fundamental Baptist although not like you at all.
    I do not believe new born babies go to hell for sin because they haven't committed any. Jesus said;
    Mat 18:2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
    Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    Mat 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
    Mat 18:5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
    How would you go about converting a new born? Are they savable? or are you saying burn em all even if they are elect as you believe..
    MB

12. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I never said I believe newborns go to Hell. I maintain that all people are sinners by nature. I also maintain that all people are saved by grace.

Will you answer the question I asked on page 1?

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure I will. If let's say a person is incapable of understanding the Law like a new born then I do not believe a merciful God would hold them accountable There are many who have the reasoning power of an infant and that is what I mean.

I believe all men sin it isn't a matter of the sin but the knowing that you have. Children are responsible the moment they understand and that can be almost as soon as they understand the word no. Being born in to a sinful world does not make us sinners at birth. We inherited death from Adam and we all die but that isn't punishment it's a blessing for those who are in Christ.
    MB

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

OK. But God is not the author of confusion. If we cannot point to a clear beginning of sin in the lives of people then all we have is confusion on this issue. We would have a situation where I can claim I did not sin until I was 5 and someone else may claim 9, or 10. It is not just death that entered the world through Adam. That is the penalty for for sin, which truly did enter through Adam.

What does your theology do to the doctrine of Christ's incarnation? Specifically His need to be born of the Spirit and not man so He would avoid being born a sinner like every other man?

The problem we have with the theology that denies all men are born with a sin nature is the consequences it has on other doctrines in addition to the doctrine itself.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

You can claim but our Heavenly Father knows the truth before you open your mouth. We can see in a Child intelligence when he has become responsible for His actions. His reaction to his own conscience will let it be known. My own son when he was four years old showed me he was guilty once when he could not answer me and look me in the eye. His little face got red and he hung his head in shame.
    I didn't say men are not born with a sin nature. They are. It's just that Adam and Eve were no different. We were created with a sin nature. Adam and Eve could not have sinned with out the Law that told them not to even touch that tree in the middle of the Garden. At the time that was the only Law there was and they understood it.

Christ is our lord and He was the only man who did not have a sin nature. He is God and being so scripture says He cannot even touch sin because of His holy nature. He did not inherit the sin nature because we inherit that from Adam and His Father is God. Not Adam.

A Propensity to sin does not mean we are born sinners. It means we have the likely hood of committing sin. The Law it self was our instructor about what sin is, and is the doing what we are told not to do. The fact we are told not to, insures we will at the very least experiment with them.

If you take any child and tell them in advance not to do a list of things or they will reap punishment for it. Most will right away test you on your word. Man does the same with our Heavenly Father. It's called sin then.
    MB

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Dr. Albert Mohler has a good article addressing this issue!

I agree with Mohler on this!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, for they would go to heaven NOT because God has not imputed Sin to them from the fall, but due to him making provision to atone for that thru and in the Cross of Christ!

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney, Mohler clearly contradicts himself. First he says that Adam's sin is imputed to all children so that all are sinners, then he contradicts himself and says a person is only judged for their own sin.

The part I highlighted is a direct contradiction. Augustine was consistent, he taught that all persons are imputed Adam's sin, therefore an infant must be baptized to wash away Adam's sin.

You folks are trying to have your cake and eat it too. You want to cling to Original Sin, but none of you is willing to say that a baby who dies goes to hell. Laughable.

Make up your mind, if children are born sinners, then logically they would go to hell if they died. If they are not sinners, then they would not go to hell if they died. You can't have it both ways.

And you guys ridicule me, what a joke.