1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a person lose the Holy Spirit once it is received?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ScottF, Dec 2, 2006.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Faith

Faith is not a work or working for our salvation. It is keeping our focus on Jesus our salvation and trusting in God to save us.

We are saved by grace through faith. Faith is not part of the grace. If it wasn't then the scripture would read we are saved by faith through grace.

#61 psalms109:31, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2006
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

This passage in context is about BEARING Fruit Not salvation nor the Holy Spirit. Of course it CLEARLY states that if we abide and that Christ is commanding this to be done BUT FOR WHAT PURPOSE... It is spelled out at the first - that you produce good fruit!
    OF course it is cast away much like those who claim to know Christ but He does not know them. They are not part of the vine but trying to sneak in, just as the ones who stated "Lord have we not...in your name!!" But if the friut produced is contrary to the vine to which it claims to be apart of, we KNOW they are not IN Christ for the fruit they bear reveals their true nature.

An apple on a grape vine proves that the branch that bore the apple is not of the grape vine, just as no fruit on a branch reveals that branch is not ACTAULLY APART OF that Vine and therefore there IS NO abiding we also see there will be no substance or fruit. Therefore it should be gathered together with the other dead branches and placed where they belong.

#62 Allan, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

No! You cannot lose what you didn't earn. It is a gift. Jesus is not a native american giver.

4. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

My son and I have discussed this subject before - here are some of the conclusions we came to.

The Holy Spirit is given to the believer as a permanent seal of Salvation.
    Eph 4:30
    30: And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
    KJV

Some have gotten the mistaken idea from David’s prayer in Psalms that Gods spirit could be removed.
    Ps 51:11
    11: Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
    KJV

This prayer was David’s confession, and repentance of his sin with Bathsheba. It was a prayer for the restoration of fellowship, and the previous joy, and power of the Holy Spirit’s working in his life, that God would not hide his face or turn his back on him.

Take a look at another example Lot who dwelled in Sodom, and daily vexed the spirit by the things he saw and heard. The spirit was not taken from him, otherwise he would not have been considered a Godly Righteous man. But God rather delivered him out of his circumstances.
    2 Peter 2:8
    8: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds)
    9: The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
    KJV

There is one circumstance where it might be thought that Gods spirit has been removed from a person, when in fact they never had it.
    Matt 7:21-23
    21: Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22: Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23: And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    KJV

These are those who have professed faith in Christ but did not have any true commitment to him. When a person is truly saved his life will change in some way, it may not be a complete overhaul from the beginning, but some evidence of their sincerity will be manifest. Those who profess faith, and continue on with life as usual, and have no remorse for sin are not saved.

No one who is truly indwelt with the spirit of God can sin, without constant feelings of guilt, and remorse for their sinfulness. Some spiritual fruit will be evident in the lives of those who do believe. And should become more evident as their fellowship with the Spirit becomes greater.
    John 15:2
    2: Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
    KJV

This verse is a comparison of the righteous, and the unrighteous. Those who are true will over time produce more fruit, those who are false will have their folly revealed. Their sins will be laid bare, and that which they seem to have will be removed, the veil of covering will be rent.
    Matt 25:29
    29: For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    KJV

So the person who is truly saved will never loose the spirit, or have it taken away. But those who have a profession, and no possession who never had the spirit; may seem to some they have had the spirit taken away, but in truth never had it to loose in the first place.

#64 Samuel Owen, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  5. Allan

Allan Active Member

That is a very racist and slanderous remark, whether you know it or not. Well, now you do know - so please refrain from using it again! :tear:

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

So, you would agree with me that abiding in Christ is a quality of a Christian? Doesn't that involve us "doing" something?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes it is a quality of us being a Christian and NO it does not involve us doing 'something' as 'to abide' MEANS to REST, NOT DO.
    The branch does nothing to bear friut it simply must rest in the vine that the vine THROUGH it bears much fruit.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I knew this thing kept stewing with me for some reason, the real question I see is can Jesus loose one he has in his hands?

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now this Sir, is one excellent and very true post! :1_grouphug: :thumbs: :thumbs:

The sad part is if God would have put a monetary cost to salvation more people would be saved...

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Lighten up Allan! I was making fun of political correctness. Take what I said in the context in which it was said. Otherwise go and have yourself a good cry!:laugh:

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

There are other ways of displaying political correctness without the use of racist remarks. And no, I will not lighten up on that subject. There is no excuse to use it, period.

And yes I saw your context by which you placed your remark.
    You stated:
    my ephasis added
    Your context is: Jesus gives something and does not take it back unlike the native americans.
    (Why native americans? Because they can't be trusted - this is the historical meaning of that phrase)

Am I wrong about the comment?? Nope! You might not have ment it but that is exactly what you stated. All I asked is that you not do it again. Is that something really so hard for you to accept???

#71 Allan, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
    2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
    3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
    4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
    5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
    6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.​

I disagree with your use of the word "requirement", abiding in Christ is not a requirement but a characteristic of the children of God. who will bear the fruit of the Spirit.

They abide in Him always. You either abide in Him or you don't, period.

Many in "Christendom" make assumptions as to their condition but as in the following passage:

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.​

He never knew them, not for one moment, they were never His to begin with.​

But to those who are His...

John 10
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.​
    30 I and my Father are one.

Knowing about Christ, going to church, doing good things, even being a pastor, deacon sunday school teacher or being baptised in water never saved anyone.

Salvation is ALL of Him and none of us, even our good works which follow regeneration have been fore-ordained ("For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them").

Matthew 11
    27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
    28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.​

And I give (present tense) unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish.

He meant what He said.​

HankD

#72 HankD, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  13. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Notice that Jesus says "Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you." Now, at this point in time. This is followed by the command "Abide in me, and I in you." Then comes the warning "As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me." Christ says that they cannot bear fruit unless they abide in him. Why is it necessary for Him to warn them in this way unless they can choose to not abide in Him in the future? Verse 6 describes the dire effect of doing that. It is a requirement that we abide in Him. That's clear from this scripture.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

Simple - It would show they are not OF Him. If they did not 'abide' or 'rest' in the branch but try to do something that would make them somehow MORE righteous or worthy then they reveal they are not and were not OF Him who 'rest' in the Vine. It is about them (the branch) 'doing something' to try to produce much friut rather than it being all about Christ and 'resting' in Him that will work and produce MUCH fruit THROUGH them who dwell IN Him.

Thus the warning

15. pasdave

pasdave New Member

Amy.G, not to be critical, but Jesus Himself was called a thing.

(Luk 1:35) And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God. If we know Jesus as Lord and Saviour we are sealed by the Holy Spirit.

Shouldn't we focus on Christ and not on other's grammar? We all knew what he meant.

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

As many times as I have read that verse I can honestly say I have never took notice that the scriptures call Christ a 'holy THING'. How is that for a self image buster. :laugh:

Learn something new everyday. I love that about God! :godisgood:

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Depends on what version you read. The NKJV says "Holy One". However, I was not correcting grammar but rather the perception that the Holy Spirit is an it. I wasn't criticizing. :)

18. Russ

Russ New Member

From Adam Clarke:

Luk i:35 -
    The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee -
    This conception shall take place suddenly, and the Holy Spirit himself shall be the grand operator. The power, δυναμις, the miracle-working power, of the Most High shall overshadow thee, to accomplish this purpose, and to protect thee from danger. As there is a plain allusion to the Spirit of God brooding over the face of the waters, to render them prolific, Genesis i:2, I am the more firmly established in the opinion advanced on Matthew i:20, that the rudiments of the human nature of Christ was a real creation in the womb of the virgin, by the energy of the Spirit of God.
    Therefore also that holy thing (or person) - shall be called the Son of God - We may plainly perceive here, that the angel does not give the appellation of Son of God to the Divine nature of Christ; but to that holy person or thing, το ἁγιον, which was to be born of the virgin, by the energy of the Holy Spirit. The Divine nature could not be born of the virgin; the human nature was born of her. The Divine nature had no beginning; it was God manifested in the flesh, I Timothy iii:16; it was that Word which being in the beginning (from eternity) with God, John i:2, was afterwards made flesh, (became manifest in human nature), and tabernacled among us, John i:14. Of this Divine nature the angel does not particularly speak here, but of the tabernacle or shrine which God was now preparing for it, viz. the holy thing that was to be born of the virgin. Two natures must ever be distinguished in Christ: the human nature, in reference to which he is the Son of God and inferior to him, Mark xiii:32; John v:19; John xiv:28, and the Divine nature which was from eternity, that is God, John i:1; John x:30; Romans ix:5; Colossians i:16-18. It is true, that to Jesus the Christ, as he appeared among men, every characteristic of the Divine nature is sometimes attributed, without appearing to make any distinction between the Divine and human natures...

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok...

Russ, if I may ask what is your point of posting Adam Clark??
    I was only stating I never noticed the Greek stated the word thing before.

20. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

Just for a comparison the KJ21 (21 Century King James Version) says it this way.

35: And the angel answered and said unto her, "The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee. Therefore also that Holy Being who shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

I'm thinking seriously about ordering one of these. Right now you can get two for the price of one, plus an extra $2.00 postage.