1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can a true Christian commit the unpardonable sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He listed them for the Corinthian church, and to that same church told them that they would cease. And that was before Israel was judged, the Temple destroyed, the Apostles had died and the canon of Scripture finished.
    The gifts have ceased.

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

You guys amaze me! This thread could have gone in all different directions! I did not know the direction it would go if others would have put there input!
    Do you not like the direction it went? WHy? What did I post that was so out of line?

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

This thread is about the unpardonable sin...do you have any input on that!
    Your added words to the Bible is noted!

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You didn't answer my question so you make no since asking one yourself and say you don't get it. Was you looking for an answer or just trolling?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The context of this passage is dealing with those who witnessed Jesus' miracles and attributed them to Satan. Not dealing with any other group or time.

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

I did not see where that scripture was referring to the Basphemy of the Holy Spirit. I did read it!
    She told her husband that the Lord received their burnt offering and he was pleased with them because he showed them all those things.

Sorry, I still do not understand your point concerning blasphemy the HOly Spirit??

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you are saying today we can do this and it is ok???

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you read what I wrote? How can we witness Christ's miracles?

9. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I pointed it was an EXAMPLE of reasoning out a question is all. Some questions can be answered by a better question. Do you get it now? Was an EXAMPLE ONLY.

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

What is your definition of a miracle?

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

Ok, I got it!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not defining what a miracle is, I'm putting the passage in the op in context which is dealing with the miracles Christ performed and those who witnessed them. These people who attributed the actions of Christ to Satan committed the unpardonable sin. Don't know how much more I can explain it.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

Well, from your post I gather that you do not believe that anyone can commit the unpardonable sin today. Is that right?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't that what I said in my first post on this thread?

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

I guess that would be one way to explain it away. I believe as long as the Holy Spirit is on earth working today that this sin can still be committed!

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not explaining it 'away', trying to stay true to the text and context.

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

THe context is not to give credit to the devil what the Holy Spirit does! THe Holy Spirit is still alive and working today, just as he did then! The willing vessels to be found that he can work through is the the problem.

As long as the Holy Spirit exist...this sin is still possible....

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you do. Then when someone does not buy into your pseudo gifts then you can accuse them of being lost. Which is what this thread is all about. This misuse of this doctrine is your weapon in a world that rejects your shallow religion.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context is attributing the works that the Spirit wrought through Christ to Satan.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't add any words to the Bible. When I explain the Bible to you, you don't like my explanation so that is the silly accusation you make, but you know I am right.

What about the unpardonable sin? It cannot be committed today. It is impossible to commit this sin. Why? Look at the context. Take it from the beginning.

Matthew 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
    --Jesus performed a miracle by casting out a demon and healing this man.

Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
    Beelzebub was another name for Satan.
    The accusation here was that he performed the miracle by the power of Satan.

Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
    26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
    27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
    --A solid argument that could not be defeated.
    The Pharisees claimed to cast out demons also. Jesus was a prophet among the people. If he cast them out by Satan then by whose power did they cast them out? The kingdom cannot be divided. IOW, if he was casting them out by Satan's power so were they.

Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
    --Christ has taken his stand with the Father. He came to do the will of the Father. There are only two parties here. Satan and God. You are either on God's side (Christ's) or against Him. Which one?

Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
    32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Now go back to the beginning and remember that they brought to him one possessed of a demon, and he cast the demon out, and then they accused him that he did this by the power of Satan, also an evil spirit.

They were seeing Jesus, God in the flesh. They had heard his words, seen his miracles, and had just witnessed one of them. And yet they attributed this miracle to the power of an evil spirit, Satan himself. That is blasphemy! They attributed the works of Christ, this miracle of Christ to the power of an evil spirit, not to the power of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit through whom Christ works.

He stood before them as a man. He demonstrated his deity through his miracles done in the power of His Spirit which was the Holy Spirit. Instead of attributing that power to the Spirit of God they attributed it to the spirit of Satan. That is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

This cannot be committed today for Jesus does not stand in front of us doing miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit which we are able to attribute to the power of Satan. It is impossible to commit this sin today.