1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can anyone be saved?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Feb 19, 2015.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

God does the calling on the heart he has changed.

Jeremiah 31:31 Behold the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; after those days saith the Lord, I will put my laws in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and I will be their God and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, know the Lord: for they shall all know me from the least of them to the greatest of them: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

2. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are these "uninspired man"?

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Brother, you are close to commentary here. Tread carefully.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm, don't recall the Scripture saying that second sentence. Try not to go beyond what is written!!! :wavey:

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There we go again. Do not add to the word of the LORD.

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone who is not an Apostle. The cannon is closed. We all are reading the same Scriptures and must take them at their word WITHOUT going beyond what is written.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are allowed to talk brother, the challenge is to answer the question without commentary. :wavey:

8. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You
    To dwell in Your courts.
    We will be satisfied with the goodness of Your house,
    Your holy temple. Ps 65:4

that the remnant of mankind may seek the Lord,
    and all the Gentiles who are called by my name,
    says the Lord, who makes these things 18 known from of old.’
    Acts 15:17-18

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
    Rom 8:28-30

though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls
    Rom 9:11

For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake
    1 Thess1:4-5

and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.
    Rev 13:8

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very good!!!! :thumbsup: Isn't it nice to just hear the word of the Lord and not get into all this man centered commentary?

10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I guess the question is are you going to believe what the Lord has said and not man centered commentary?

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

(emphasis mine)

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well Duh! :tongue3: Love you sister......

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, that was an Apostle opening up the OT scriptures which spoke of Jesus Christ. We have 27 books of Holy Spirit inspired commentary concerning Jesus Christ OT and NT and Christian living. Do we need more??? Wasn't the Apostles writings thorough enough???

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Notice it was not Calvinism he was preaching :smilewinkgrin: And to be fair, nor was it Arminianism either

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, let me make sure I understand you. If I use your reasoning than my next sermon should be nothing more than just reading the text. That is it. Just read it because after all, "Wasn't the Apostles writing thorough enough???"?

16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 19: 23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

17. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah i'm starting to wonder if Reformed is joking or not.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Yeah, I think ole steaver likes for the preacher to read a few verses and then close up shop. That way he can get in line for the chicken n dumplings....

19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah the brethren are checking their watches. Its lunch time right?:smilewinkgrin:

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, the Apostle's writings are sufficient. I'm sure you would agree. No, your sermon should be more than reading the text. You should be making life applications for Christian living. What you should not be doing, and I'm pretty sure you are not, is going beyond what is written. Like restating the scripture to give it your personal conviction bent. We see that often here on the BB.