1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Armenian Calvinists Co-Exist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by righteousdude2, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Of course He calls Himself the Great Shepard - duh! He is talking about His followers being His sheep and deals with the relationship between God and Man in that analogy. The shepard lays down His life that His sheep will exist and continue. If He did not lay down His life (like the hired help) they would be stolen or all die and be food for the wild animals and thus be no longer His because they have been taken away from Him in one form or another.

That aside we KNOW the Atonement was for ALL of the Nation of Israel but we also KNOW that not all of the Nation of Israel was saved because it is by faith that the propitiation is received (Rom 3:23). It has an intended purpose (to redeem those of faith) but does not negate the fact it was made for all. Jesus fulfilled the Law exactly and thus His life as an Atonement holds the same.

The lamb was slain for the sake of them all that it would save those who would believe. The purpose for dieing for all was for all those of faith to be redeemed and all those who are not of faith to be condemned.

#63 Allan, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  4. Allan

Allan Active Member

OK. Say what you want henceforth - I'm done answering these now. :)

Have a blessed day in the Lord Rippon.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

In my view we went off-topic a long while before the Rippon - Allan interchange! The OP was not about whether Calvinists and Arminians could exist or work side by side, but whether one person could be both Calvinist and Arminian at the same time. To quote the OP:
    I wonder [out loud] if there is such an animal as an Armenian/
    Calvinist in this world of "mixed" every things.

I think the confusion comes from the thread title: "Can Armenian (sic) Calvinists Co-exist?" The OP seems to indicate that the actual subject intended was: "Is There Such a person as an Arminian Calvinist?"

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So let's go back to what the OP intended, then.
    Is there such a person as an Arminian Calvinist ?
    Again, my answer is : that person will be an aberration.

He' ll be like that little girl in India born with four arms and four legs.
    Or something like that.
    Eventually, the desire will be for just two arms and two legs.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Piney's answer shows why the two will not be able to work together in most cases. Seems that it's becoming a hill to die on for many.

8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Neither

I am in the middle some where that only scripture, not mens Ideas, can show the truth.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

LoL... Your right!

I have to agree that there is no specific animal so named.

In order to be a Calvinist you need to hold in the very least the 5 basic priniciples of Calvinism (TULIP) and it is the same with being an Arminian.

You can lean more toward one view or another but that no more makes you one or the other than leaning on post makes you a fence. There are however other theological views than Calvinism and Arminian.

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Rippon I see no Christian love, understanding or charity in your answers and questions when talking to Allan. You must be very young and unpolished. I certainly hope you are not the pastor of any church. If you are I pity your congregation. You are exactly the man people are talking about when they speak of mean spiritedness and calvinist in the same sentence. What a wonderful witness for Christ you are.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aside from being an Amyrauldian, I do not not think there exists another view in which someone can legitimately be a Christian. A semi-Pelagian might just squeak by perhaps if their verbalized theology differs from their prayers.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as a Calminian.

A Calvinist can't hold to less than the 5 points.

Calvinists hold to full-fledged Calvinism.

Being Calvinistic could be applied to someone inclined, but not embracing Calvinism entirely.

Arminians are the counterparts of people holding Calvinistic views.They are inclined to a system of thought which is largely synergistic and tending toward semi-Pelagianism.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: POB, you are lying. You know who I am, my age, job etc. We have exchanged numerous PM's over the years. During our last exchange I wished you a Happy Birthday. Why you have fabricated things here is a mystery.Lying about me lessens your credibility.Please engage in a huge measure of truth-telling.

Did you ever complete The Institutes?

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some here make Calvinism seem to be a tenate of the faith that is required for salvation, for proper evangelism, and a test for fellowship. In addition they can become quite ugly about it ripping anyone who disagrees. It's sad.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

That sort of thing is sad, I agree, but I could with equal validity say, "Some here make non-Calvinism seem to be a tenet of the faith that is required for salvation, for proper evangelism, and a test for fellowship. In addition they can become quite ugly about it ripping anyone who disagrees. It's sad." What I mean is that there are some posters in both "camps" who are gracious, and even when they disagree with someone, they don't resort to ugliness. Then there are other posters in both "camps" who are not gracious, and seem able disagree only in ugly ways. But I would suggest that most of us fall into a third group - we mean to be gracious, polite, and honourable, but from time to time we fail, and our posts come across as cruel, hard-hearted and arrogant. Please forgive me for any of my posts that have been like that.

18. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I've always felt the same myself when reading a lot of the posts here. I agree with the majority of Rip's theological views, but where is the love? Why must you always be right at all costs? Including trying to tear the other person down that doesn't agree with you?

David... I have always throroughly enjoyed reading your posts. You are for the most part always courteous and graceful, even in disagreement. I believe some in both camps become almost too fascinated with the pride of being right. :tear:

19. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Pride

Pride is a problem, but don't confuse that with faith in the word of God.

Don't have pride in man's ideas only faith in God and His word

#79 psalms109:31, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2008
  20. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing, however, has proved profitable to me. I found Spurgeon's sermon on I Tim. 2:3+. I don't think Spurgeon is showing Arminian beliefs, here.

Although I consider myself "reformed", I don't believe the text to mean "all sorts of men" (although there is support for that view in context). I believe it means "all men". The focus, then, turns to what is the text really saying about God's "wish" or "desire". Spurgeon makes a distinction between God's "wish" and His decreed "will". I find myself in agreement with Spurgeon, here.

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/1516.htm

peace to you:praying: