1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can BACKSLIDING/DISOBEDIENT Christians be DEMONIZED?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

I believe that those who walk in the Lord are more or less bulletproof: they cannot be "demonized."

But what about Christians, yes Christians, who backslide and get involved in the occultic arts--can they be, yikes, "invaded" or "demonized?"

I am talking about those who toy around with the ouija board, buy and read the Necronomicon, read the writings of satanists like Aleister Crowley.... :eek:

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The area of the occult is one the major focuses of my ministry, and I was involved in aspects of it for a number of years. I do not think that a regenerated, born again believer can be possessed or controlled by a demon (nor are most unbelievers involved in the occult possessed either).

I do think that any Christian -- backslidden or otherwise, who fools around with the occult can bring on attacks, oppression, or maybe some weird things that may happen. This is not being controlled or possessed. And this would be the consequence of doing something that God has forbidden.

The Bible is clear about the existence of demons and God clearly prohibits occult activities but he does not give us much info on how demons operate. Also, there are no instructions in the NT epistles to the churches on how to cast out demons nor are any references to casting out demons given. God instructs us to submit to him and resist the devil and he will flee. Eph. 6 tells us to stand in our faith and salvation and use God's word as the sword. We are told to be vigilant and sober minded.

A resulting problem of concern over demons has caused a lot of very unbiblical, wacky teachings on spiritual warfare and a focus on demons in the church. I think demons like to have the focus on them. We should instead focus on Christ who has power over the demons.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I do not believe christians can be indwelt by demons. They are already indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
    But they can be influenced by demons.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I don't believe demons can dwell where the Holy Spirit dwells, so I don't think demons can possess Christians - back sliding or not. However, they can harrass them, and they can make them miserable.

As to casting out demons. I'm not sure I follow you Marcia. The bible does speak of the disciples having that gift, and it speaks of them whining when other Christians did it, and Christ telling them to stop whining. It also shows what appears to be very simple instructions for doing so. Prayer and a command in the name of Christ to exit the body. I do though think this is something very dangerous.

The verses that I remember which worry me most are those where Christ sent demons into pigs, and when the bible says that if a demon leaves, and returns to find an opening, he'll return with friends.

I don't think a "casual" approach should ever be taken toward removing demons. Only those who have really studied the bible in that area should mess with it.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I double posted this in error, so I removed the duplicate via edit.

6. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I agree with the above that Christian's can't be indwelt by a demon.
    You do hear all kinds of weird things about spiritual warfare usually from other denominations. Does it seem to anyone else that Baptists don't discuss spiritual warfare much?

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think your right Rachel, our class will soon be beginning a study on spiritual warfare.

8. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I read over that link and find flaws in his argument but don't have time to go into it. I have engaged in many discussions and challenges on this topic and the arguments for demon possession never hold water for long.

Here are arguments against a christian being demon possessed:
    http://www.naminggrace.org/id62.htm

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psychology/warfare/demonp.htm

http://withchrist.org/MJS/neil_anderson.htm

The article below refutes the pro-demon possession article's statement that divides man's fallen nature from our redeemed nature.
    http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

These are not instructions but narrative accounts of what Jesus and the apostles did. I don't think it's good hermeneutics to take narrative as prescriptive.

I am not saying that we should not cast out demons but I have to wonder why there is no reference to this anywhere in any of the letters to the churches. It it was practiced, surely there would be something, however small. Therefore, I find it dangerous to think we should be doing this.

If only unbelievers are possessed (which is what I believe), then casting out a demon will not do any good unless they become saved. In the gospels and in Acts, casting out demons and salvation seemed to be almost a single act. Perhaps after Jesus ascended, the preaching of the gospel was the means by which demons would leave people (as they were saved by hearing the Word). I think when Jesus was on earth, there were more cases of demon possession because Satan was attacking the ministry of Jesus.

The main way Satan attacks believers is with temptation and perhaps discouragement. I also think the main wa he attacks unbelievers is with temptation. An unbeliever happy with a false belief is of more use to Satan than an unbeliever who is possessed and seems weird, scary, or is unbalanced.

11. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

12. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Samplewow,

Are you really, positively, absolutely sure? :D

Please answer this question. What do you think happens to Christians (who practice unbiblical methods) who are caught up in the Holy Laughter or Drunk in the Spirit Movement? Now what do you think makes them growl like dogs, bark like wolves, roll over the carpet like mad animals, run around the pews like track and field runners, faint and fall backwards, laugh uncontrollably? Do you think this is the product of the Holy Spirit? :eek:

Samplewow, 2nd Cor 11:4 says, "...or you RECEIVE A DIFFERENT SPIRIT which you had not received..."
    The bible is clear that you can receive another spirit.

Once again, have not the above disobedient and "in error" Christians received a DIFFERENT SPIRIT? [​IMG] :D

13. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I'm going to do some honest study on this one, and get back to you.

I think that I will still say no,but Iwill be open to change ,I've been brought up believing that it wasn't possible.

14. Well I tell you what if you can find anywhere in the Bible that shows Christians doing this and it is of God. Then there might be something to actually STUDY. I haven't been able to find anything.

Christians cannot be demon possessed, influenced but not possessed.

1 JOHN 4:4 GREATER IS HE THAT IS IN YOU THAN HE THAT IS IN THE WORLD !

15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I believe Christians can be oppressed, but not possessed.

OTOH...Is Romans 1:28 for the lost or the saved or both?

16. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

HI,RightFromWrong

I'm sure that a christian can't be demon possessed.

The question is can a back sliding Christian be "DEMONIZED".

This word means[to bring under the influence of demons]so I will change my answer to "YES" because I'm sure that ,that is possible. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure I get the difference between a christian and a back slidden christian :confused:
    Whether you are in fellowship, or backslidden, your justification is ensured if you are a true believer.

18. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I will make that clearer. there is no differents here, but the differents is influenced by demons /possessed by. ;)

19. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Samplewow,

Ahhh, we're now getting somewhere. Now back to the Holy Laughter and Drunk in the Spirit "in error" Christians--those who bark like wild animals, dogs, wolves, hyenas--those who roll uncontrollably and froth in the mouth--those who laugh uncontrollably and simultaneously--we're agreed that they are demonized, right?

The question is: WHERE DOES THE DEMONIC CONTROL COME FROM? Is it demonic control from the outside, or from the INSIDE? :eek:

20. How can it be from the inside ?

Even when Jesus cast the demons out of the demon possesed boy they left immediatly and went into a herd of pigs. The Holy Spirit and Demonic Spirits cannot reside together.

Not sure what you are getting at :confused:

So what do you think the difference is between demon INFLUENCED and demon CONTROLED ?