1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Christian Music be unspiritual?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by procyon, Dec 5, 2005.

1. procyon

procyon New Member

What a lot of contradictory statements! I like Handel's Water Music, but played in a church it is not going to inspire me to worship God.

The point is that to inspire worship in spirit and truth requires 'psalms and hymns and spiritual songs' of a high spiritual calibre. The person who writes the song and the music, like David, must have gone through a deep and painful spiritual experience. He has made the transition from the carnal to the spiritual. [​IMG]

We may be excited about Vineyard Music and other CCM, but excitement is not worship. [​IMG]

That would clarify things to spiritual people! [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

2. patrick

patrick New Member

Worship really isn't about music. Worship is about us giving back to God. Worship is us being obediant and faithful. Worship comes from this and not a muscical style or form.

I have worshiped with hymns. I have worshiped at a Third Day concert and many points between. Worship is a matter of the heart and not a musical beat.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Exactly. I have worshipped without music (gasp) and without preaching.

4. Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk New Member

For me, the music I listen to must be all about God or to me it is nothing. I am a spiritual leader and musician in my church, and that is what it is all about for me. It is all God or noyhing.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

the original poster is saying tho, that even music "about" God isnt necessarily suitable for worship

6. procyon

procyon New Member

Worship music is actually inspired by the Holy Spirit. Most hymns are worship music. But to think that because I am a believer and I have talent and therefore I can write a song to praise God, really wont work. There has to be inspiration of the HOly Spirit. It is not a matter of human talent at all.

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well, as a composer I can tell you that I worship through the writing of music. Its an act that words cant adequately express. Yes, there is an "inspiration", and I do believe that it is a God-given gift. But how do you know that the hymn writers of the hymns you put on a worship pedestal werent just writing from mere talent? I mean, goodness, some of the theology in hymnals is atrocious. Can that really be "inspired"?
    And how can yo know that a talented believer did or didnt have an "inspiration" from the HS to write that music? Because its in block hymn form? It just makes no sense. I have tried to see your point, Procy, but I just cant see it.

8. procyon

procyon New Member

I said most hymns, not all hymns. Yes, there are hymns where the doctrine is defective. [And there is sentimental stuff like Away in a Manger and most Christmas carols!]

But the point is 'What is worship in spirit and truth?' John 4.23, 24. It is not just worship, but worship in spirit, worship in truth.

When the cross works in us in a deep inward way, we begin to understand the meaning of that memorable phrase.

9. patrick

patrick New Member

Music is music. words are words. aWorship is pouring our souls out to God. Giving Him our lives. We use our talents for him and we worship. Look at Abe. He carried his son to a mountain to sacrfice him. It don't say anything about singing hymns but he went to worship.

If you want to get techinical music is music. Whether hymn or a cont beat. worship is worship and God doesn't give any musical preferences in the Bible. The Bible mentions songs and hymns. Our hymns aren't the same as the 1st century church. It would have sounded very middle eastern. You prefer your worship with hymns but that is not the only way to worship.

Listen to some 3rd day or Chris Rice and tell me their music doesn't honor God and inspire to do the same.

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

"When the cross works in us in a deep inward way, we begin to understand the meaning of that memorable phrase."

I couldnt agree with you more!!!!

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you absolutely sure about this assertion?

12. procyon

procyon New Member

I am astonished that hardly anyone here seems to understand spiritual worship. Worship in spirit and truth is possible only when we go through a deep inward work of the cross.

Oh, the blindness of those who claim to know Christ without experiencing Him!

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I agree with that post too. It has NOTHING to do with musical style, and EVERYTHING to do with a right heart.

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

TaterTot:

Have you checked out this site?:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org

I agree that alot of what we find in church hymnals is not theologically correct (ie: some of the Christmas carols). Check out that site and read some of the biographies. You can also download some of the midis and they also have the lyrics to all the hymns on the site. I love that site--was an eye opener for me. Fanny Crosby is one of my favorite hymnwriters!!

15. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Music unscriptural - no.
    Lyrics unscriptural - yes.