1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can (do) you believe this?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jesus is Lord, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

I found this on the web site of a Baptist church (no fake):

[​IMG]

Does anyone here believe this? Even if you are a Calvinist... how can you believe from the Bible that every "Arminian" is going to hell...? :confused:

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much as I said I am out of this forum, I can't resist this. So okay, here goes.

Calvinism + Baptist Attitude = Bad Mix.

If you think that's awful, wait till you hear what they will probably say when they encounter PB Doctrines of Grace. For starters, try the threads at the Fundamental Forum.

Oh, for the record. I don't believe that dung about every Arminian going to hell.

There's an Arminian in this forum who hates Calvinism just as much and gleefuly denigrates the Calvinist God, but, I know he's not hell bound.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

150 years ago most Baptists were Reformed. Spurgeon was Reformed. You got unreformed by buying into Darbyism.

4. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I think that if any Arminians are going to hell it's cuz they don't believe in Jesus, just like anyone else. It's sad that people hold to beliefs like that, but many Arminians do the same thing, just maybe in nicer words.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to be argumentative, but, the real reason anyone , Arminian, Calvinist, Quaker, Mormon, Muslim, Taoist, et. is going to hell is because God did not see fit to provide a Savior for them. No Savior, no heaven. Have Savior, have heaven.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A point of clarification. The lead post not only condemns all Arminians to hell - it also condemns all 3 and 4 pt Calvinists.

I am guessing that is an "extreme" example of 5-pt Calvinist enthusiasm and not something that I have found very popular here.

In Christ,

Bob

7. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Pionybaptist;
    I've never read in scripture where it says that Christ came to save just certain individuals. Maybe you can show scripture that clearly states individual election. When Salvation came to the Gentiles, It meant the rest of the world. If you're not a Jew. You are a Gentile.
    Luk 2:30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
    Luk 2:31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
    Luk 2:32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

Act 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ILUVLIGHT:

You just answered your own question, as to individual election. This saint have been waiting for many years for the promised messiah in that temple.

He was not a dead soul, unable to see, unable to hear.

He has seen countless infants dedicated in that temple, why should one more infant be any different ?

Because, as Paul would later say, 'the Spirit beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God'.

Better come to the light.

Just because election happens to be in used in a collective manner doesn't necessarily mean it can't be individual, and specific.

I am sure if I said right now that Osama bin Laden is a child of God, and those Muslim radicals that blow themselves up to murder people, and the cannibals that used to murder people for meals, were children of God and saved, you will be among those to jump up and protest, and call me heretic !

Yet, there you are, way I look at it, implying that salvation is universal, and Christ died for all men. If he did die for all men, then those I named above are saved.

Are they ?

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That is way over the top if that is what they said. What is the webpage?

Not really ... There are a lot of dispensationalists who are reformed in their soteriology. It is called being right in all things :D

10. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darbyism and Calvinism are both man made systems of philosophy which have been imposed onto the Bible. The original Baptists believed neither.

11. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Pionybaptist;
    Well if it isn't scriptural then it's mans Idea and not God's. Should we be adding to scripture or the gospel to make it fit us? or should we allow God's word to change us to fit the word.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike [​IMG]

12. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can't believe it. Too sad.

Having been in a reformed church for close to 20 years, I have never, ever heard of such a thing.

While I don't necessarily agree with my Arminian Christian friends, they are still my friends - and more importantly - they are still Christians.