1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can "Eternal Securitists" KNOW that heaven is their home.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

1 John 3:9-10 ESV
    No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

Revmitchell was correct.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No one is saying that you can go to heaven without trusting Christ. We are saying that if you trust Christ and are born again you will trust Christ forever because his sheep follow him and a stranger they will not follow (John 10).

The Arminian, however, can trust Christ and still not KNOW that he is going to make it to heaven because he does not know whether or not he will believe to the end.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

It's Christ that keeps us, not ourselves! Well said.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is not about "MUST" persevere it is about "WILL" persevere. God will see to it that I do. He will see to ti that you do as well, even if you don't know it.
    John said in I John 2:27 "...ye SHALL abide in him."

I did make this clear but you are not getting it.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, another word for relationship is "new nature". That's what it is- the third person of the Godhead trinity living inside the regenerate soul. And he walks with me and he talks with me and he TELLS ME I AM HIS OWN...

I John 3:24 "And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. (Why do we keep his commandments? Because of the relationship of us being in him and him being in us) And hereby we KNOW that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us."

It is the New Nature that gives us assurance. Not our faith. Faith brings us salvation. The New Nature (caused by the indwelling of the holy Spirit) brings us assurance of that salvation.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

For, what I think is probably LITERALLY the tenth or so time, NO ONE has said a word about "behavior" having ANYTHING to do with this.

But if you insist on arguing against the New Nature being that which gives the believer assurance then you might as well write your own bible to suit your own opinions. Because the Bible EXPRESSLY says it is the New Nature.
    At this point you are not disagreeing with me but the Apostle John and the Apostle Paul and the Holy Spirit who inspired them.

#26 Luke2427, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  7. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I agree to

I never said he wasn't I agree to, but it is not only practice but also commit sin we shouldn't be practicing or committing sin. We do because of the struggle with our flesh, because we are in a sinful flesh. It is easy to find a translation we agree with, but believing the scripture with both words being right even if it goes against our belief system? We are not living this life for our sake but for the sake of others. To be salt and light to this world. We are not complete until we are out of this condemned flesh and into our Spiritual body. We have to continue to beat this flesh into submission. If what I do causes my weaker brother to stumble I will never do it again.

8. psalms109:31

At the other end being a Calvinist doesn't guarantee heaven either. Armenian or Calvinism hasn't saved anyone, no religion has.

Who is the sheep of Christ are they not the one's whom God said He will keep the meek and humble who trust in the name of the Lord, Those who will not lean on their own understanding but trust in the name of the Lord. Who is not His sheep, didn't Jesus say that He will hide the truth from the wise and the learned.

Any Armenian here think they are not going to heaven because you might not trust in Him down the road?

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't understand your point nor your question. Please rephrase so that I might give you a proper response.

10. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Yes, we shouldn't be committing sin. The point in I John isn't saying that one born of God(Christian) will never sin, but speaking of it in the on going sense. Of course we will never be perfect and always will be dealing with our flesh until we are glorified.

11. psalms109:31

OK

Those of you are born of God inwardly who are in an ongoing struggle with sin, you are in the same boat as those are not in an ongoing struggle with sin but sin. You shouldn't be doing it.

We are in this flesh we are not fully born of God until we our in our Spiritual body.

So we are going to have to continue to beat this flesh into submission.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Could you please show the verses that show that it is the new nature that gives the believer assurance?

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Be careful how you change the meaning of the term "born of God." The Bible always uses it in reference to saved people. We are fully born of God at salvation, we just still have our flesh with us. Glorification isn't referenced as rebirth. But basically, I agree with you.

14. psalms109:31

Rebirth

On the inside we have been born of God changed, but we are waiting for the new body Spiritual body. You can polish that out side like a tomb, but what is on the inside is dead. We are different the outside is death, but what is on the inside has been renewed by God. God is the only one who can change us within, trust in the Lord and you will not be disappointed. Fully reborn is when I receive my Spiritual body.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I see what you are saying. My only point was that "born of God" in I John was what we already have, not what we will have.

16. psalms109:31

Inside

We are in the in side, but we are not fully born of God because of our flesh. If we was we would not be practicing sin or doing sin. Since we are doing that we are doing it because of the flesh. We have to continue to beat this flesh into submission. One day we will enter heaven with the Spiritual body no longer practicing or doing sin fully born of God

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Do you have any Scripture to use this term this way? From what I have seen, born of God refers to regeneration at Salvation, not glorification later.

18. psalms109:31

Born from God

Your body is a part of you, it isn't born of God until you are changed. Inside has been regenerated but your body hasn't until the twinkle of an eye. So we are going to have to have to beat it into submission. Sin has been condemned to the flesh. We are not complete without the Spiritual body. The scripture in John tells us straight out that we are not born of God practicing or doing sin. There is one's who are born of God inwardly practicing sin being told they are not born of God. I am letting them know they are, but they are going to need to learn about beating the body into submission. Those of you practicing sin does not mean you are not born of God inwardly, but the body is still fighting against you. With maturity and trusting and depending on Christ He will help you through it. My main concern is my weaker brother. If we can't enter heaven in this flesh we are not fully born of God until we get the Spiritual body

Romans 8

1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 7:
    18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

1 Corinthians 15:
    50Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

#38 psalms109:31, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  19. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You are talking about just the flesh.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Ii Corinthians 5:17 the entire book of I john just for starters.