1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can God Bless America?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jarthur001, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This is not about John MacArthur's book "Can God Bless America?" but it is along the same line.

What do you think about the honeybees that we have lost? In some places It is as high as 90%. I wrote on this and other things that have hurt our food supply this week in my column.

Here is the link.

http://www.lincolnstandard.com/main.asp?SectionID=26&SubsectionID=26&ArticleID=3744&TM=17985.01

There is a lot out there about the honeybee loss on a google search. Honeybees as pollinators for so many things, create food products valued at $34,159,938,000 each year. If we loss these our nation is hurt.

THE DEBATE POINT:
    Is this a judgment of God on our nation?

2. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Were the tragedies that Job faced judgment from God?

John 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were the tragedys faced by Israel jugements from God?

The answer to both these questions are in His word, but the answer to the OP is not: unless you take the principles of God's jugement against Israel as a parallel.

Let me MODIFY the OP.

"Can God bless America? If so, why should He?"

As stated in the article:
    Personal opinion: we are far more likely, today, to be the recipient of His wrath, than His blessing.

4. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At the risk of side-tracking the OP, I wish to express the position that I think Israel is unique among "nations" in respect to matters of judgement. I think that God's judgements against Israel served a very particular goal in His redemption of mankind, a goal that has been achieved at the Cross.

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think that this is more a reflection of natural law taking effect. Could it be God's judgement. Possibly, in the sence that the things we do that affect nature that we do not consider have natural consiquences. I agree with Andre as far as Isreal is considered. They were a special case. Judgement that is from God would be more than just affecting our economy or the worlds economy. I believe if God's judgement were shown against the current nations it would resemble what happen in past empires. Entire dessimation. Could God be doing this. Possibly but it happens rather quickly.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 24:4-14
    4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That's a good point Andre. Honeybees or no multitudes would literally die to get into America believing that it is a paradise to live in. In Bangladesh hundreds, in not thousands, are killed each year through natural disasters alone. I don't believe it's right to attribute each and every natural disaster to a judgement of God. God has his purposes in all things. We do not know the reasons behind them. His ways are higher than our ways.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true, BUT, has God blessed that nation as He has this one??? They have not decided that God is no longer welcome in their country like the USA has. They have not taken the blessings of God and spit on them as our nation has.

Total agreement here! Conversely, I don't believe it's right to dismiss the very real possibility that any given natural disaster IS a judgment from God either. Not sure you meant this, but much of what I've read on this BB in the past advocates exactly this position.

1 Israel was (is) unique among nations, BUT God also (listed in His word) brought judgment against most, if not all, of the nations that He used to judge Israel.

2 Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying that since the cross that God is no longer judging Israel? If so, I would question the pogroms in Russia, the holocaust, the perpetual attacks by her neighbors etc.

Seems that she is still reaping the judgment of God; IMHO anyway.

But back to the OP. Yes God CAN bless America, but as I said, why would He??

Consider the national stance on $exual perversion, murdering the un- or newly born, the elimination of Him in virtually all public quarters, etc., etc., etc.!!!

We are approaching the society of Sodom & Gomorrah, and perhaps, percentage-wise, there are still at least 10 righetous left, since we haven't been destroyed yet.

I dare say that we are getting close to less than the magic # of "10", that will seal our fate if we don't wake up soon.

MARANATHA!!!!!:thumbs:

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As we approach the end times (rather the end of the end times), are we not to expect such behaviour and wickedness?

2 Timothy 3:1-3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
    2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
    3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,...

Though America was once founded upon the Christian-Judeao ethic, it never was a Christian nation, and certainly is not one now. It is a secular nation. Its underlying religion is humanism which is the basis of every public educational institution in America.
    Humanism is one of the most godless anti-Christ religions to ever exist.
    Is it any wonder that violence and immorality exist in this nation.
    Concerning sex crimes an Islamic nation has more morals than America does. That fact alone is a disgrace to this nation.

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes the days are evil so lets redeem the time.

And A-mur-i-ka was founded by God himself and there is a manafest destiny that we evangelize the whole world! (forget about that coast to coast thing) Because as we know God and capitalism go hand in hand. Don't talk bad about my A-mur-i-ka! We love God and He loves us. Enuf said. :laugh:

11. trustitl

trustitl New Member

"Can God bless America?"

Some random thoughts.

I tend to think that God blesses Americans more than he blesses America.

I think we need to be careful how we interpret material success "for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

We tend to over estimate the "good" in material things. Our idea of good is not necessarily God's. We may be getting a serpent and thinkiing it is a fish,
    "what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"