1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can God change his mind?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SaggyWoman, Feb 14, 2010.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Wad GOD joking when HE said the following?

Malachi 3:6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

just Curious!

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, He just understands Scripture in context.

Was He joking with Hezekiah? That's one sick joke!

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I always love Acts 15:18 - Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

God has never changed. He didn't change in Exodus 32. He didn't change with Hezekiah. He didn't change with Ninevah. He knew exactly what He was going to go in each case before He spread the starry sky.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That sounds spiritual, but how do you reconcile that with something God had decreed (get your house in order, you will not live), and that did not occur?

Of course God doesn't change in regards to who He is, but that says nothing of whether He changes His mind. Scripture is clear in many places He does.

#24 webdog, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  5. RAdam

RAdam New Member

God knew all of His actions before the world began. It's as simple as that. He knew what you and I would do, and knew what He would do.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree...and that is the mystery of an infinite God dealing with His finite creation within time....but it cannot be dismissed that Scripture alludes to God changing His mind and will based on prayer and our requests.

7. RAdam

RAdam New Member

But God knew you and I would pray and thus knew His action.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is where we part ways. I will not confine God's actions to my human understanding. You still have the problem if He knew Hezekiah was going to live another 15 years, He would have lied in telling him to get his house in order, that he would not live through the illness. My view does not have that problem, as I believe He told the truth that Hezekiah was going to die, and granted him another 15 years AFTER sovereignly responding to his prayer.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Very wise of you webdog. And I don't mean that in a snotty manner!

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

11. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

No, then after No comes yes

here is what I believe:

God shows that He doesn't change His mind in that all He purposes He brings to pass. He is immutable

But within His sovereign decrees He decrees to change His mind.

IOW- when He changes His mind it is because He planned to change His mind from eternity past.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This issue is addressed in many of the links I posted.

I think Piper covers it well. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Let me ask you this:
    Did God know or not know that Hezekiah would repent? If He did know this, then how can you say that prayer changes God? God knew he would extend Hezekiah's life before Hezekiah was even born. So how did Hezekiah change God's mind?

By saying God changes his mind, you have as many problems, if not more, than those of us who say God doesn't.

#32 Marcia, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think a mistake here is assuming that God telling H. to get his house in order is a decree.

If God says "Get your house in order; you will not live" and you know you need to repent, might that not get you to repent?

I've told my son, "Your room is messy, you can't go to the movies." Then my son says, "If I clean my room, can I go to the movies?" So he does and I let him go. Have I lied? No.

14. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Exactly. God didn't change His mind. He knew from the foundation of the world what He would do concerning Hezekiah.

15. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Did He know Hezekiah would pray as he did?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do we know every facet on how God deals with His creation within the scope of time? No. Christ was fully God, yet when in time we know of at least one thing He did not know (when His second coming were to occur). Fact is...we don't know, and if we claim to, we are wrong.

Piper did more of the same old, same old philosophizing using Scripture. It's still a theory, however.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pure speculation. There is nothing in the texts in question to think they were empty threats, and even if they were, if you are going to hold to the notion He had no intention of doing that since He knew the outcome, it was not the truth.

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Christ as man did not know the time of His second coming, as God He did.

There is a mystery to godliness, but some things God has spelled out in plain language in scripture. Two of these things are the omniscience of God and the immutability of God. To say we can't understand these basic elements of God is to say we can't understand anything about God.

19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Webdog,

Do you think when God said to Hez. "he would die and not live" there was an implicit exception in that statement - i.e., if Hez. prays and seeks God's favor then he will not die and live? If you don't believe there was that implicit exception, then do you believe that God made a wrong prediction about what would happen to Hez.?

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Saggy woman;
    I believe God can and does what He wants to do. If that includes changing His mind, so be it. God is our judge and if a judge cannot change His mind, then He would have in my opinion lost His ability to reason whether or not who He judges is guilty or innocent. In order to reason we have to be able to change our minds. A judge or a jury is in a process of being swayed one way or the other several times during a trial. If His mind was already made up before the trial He would be prejudicial.
    MB