1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

can God REALLY repent/Change His Mind?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

based upon the Holy Scriptures?

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the Bible says that God does repent, does relent, and He does change His mind I guess it depends if you believe that God changes His mind.

If you believe that God changes His mind, then yes, He does.
    If you don't believe that God changes His mind, then no, He doesn't.

3. JesusFan

Could it mean that God would see what would happen based upon the different choices we could make in each decision, and go with His plan per the decision that we would make?

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it doesn't mean that.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He does not need to ...ever:thumbsup:

With this kind of "magical" thinking....you can go anywhere.......If you believe the universe exists..it does....if you believe it does not exist....than it does not?????............Isn't this an example of what psychotic persons do ????the re define what is reality!!!

#5 Iconoclast, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Gen. 6:6-7 -- This (along with another, 1 Sam 15:11, regarding God "repenting" over the choice of Saul) is the primary hinge point of the Skeptical argument alleging contradiction. But let's look at that word "repent" more closely. It is nacham, and it means to be sorry, grieve, or to pity.
    Now here is a question: Is it not possible to grieve and feel sorry over something -- even if we know that it is going to happen, even if we cause it to happen?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God does not change. But He can change His plans (repent). How many times did God withhold judgment if Israel returned to Him after times of rebellion even though God told them He would destroy them?

Nothing surprises God, but in His sovereignty, He can change the course of things if He so desires.

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Numbers 23:19 "God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind."

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Its baffling there are those who will deny God's own words where he says he repented, relented, etc. Of course God doesn't change, or change his mind as we do...he's not human!

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I read an interesting article by a pastor once that explained how God could repent or be sorry for making man in Genesis 6. He said (and I agree) that many cannot grasp this. It concerns God's foreknowledge. I don't know if I completely agree with it, but it does make sense.

He said that foreknowledge means to have knowledge of some event or person before time, but that event had to happen in time for God to know it.

In other words, God allowed man free will and knew men would corrupt himself, however, he had to allow man to corrupt himself to have foreknowledge of it. If man did not corrupt himself, then God could not have foreknowledge of something that did not occur.

Confused?

God foreknew man would corrupt himself, only because it actually happened. Therefore he could repent that he made man and destroy the world with Noah's flood.

This will be confusing to some, but it is actually quite logical.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was deliberately being facetious. Fact is, there will be people that will say God never changes his mind and others that will say that He does. It all depends on what you believe.

12. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Relent

God plan doesn't change, everything is happening for the good of those who love Him. In the end He will relent the wrath against all those in Christ. He will not have Christ again to pay our debt. God does not change His mind all those in Christ will be saved.

#12 psalms109:31, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We just understand what those verses teach....as God expresses Himself,knowing He never contradicts Himself.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbsup::thumbs::thumbs:..........................

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Truth is not up for grabs......If someone holds to error...they are wrong...

It depends on the word only...not what you believe.

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Does this view deny that God knows all possibilities before they happen, That if I consider stealing a candy bar tomorrow but don't, that He does not know every course of events that would arise if I DID steal it?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apparently not. I've already explained this supposed "contradiction" that is not there at all...

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now just take your own advice and all will be good :)

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not sure, I will have to see if I can find the article again. I also noted this, and this is why I cannot fully accept it, I believe God can know all possibilities as well.

He would know you were tempted to steal candy, because that happened under this view. But temptation is not sin.

20. JesusFan

This sounds like a philisophoric attempt to answer this concept, but what we end up with a God who is limited, and by definition cannot be the God of the Bible!