1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can man repent on His own, Without the Aid Of The Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DaChaser1, Feb 13, 2012.

1. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

he did though give the prevalent view among those who hold that we were NOT made spiritual dead by fall, that we are are dead in sins, and that being creastures of sin and wrath, cannot in and by ourselves 'will" to come to God!

They would instead affirm that man is a free moral being, still vasn freely decide to reject/accept for Jesus, as we still ahve 'enough" residing in our natures to do that!

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

is it the words of the Gospel printed down in Bible, or is it the hostorical facts they represent?

is it the HS work to confirm the truth of the Cross and who jesus was to sinners, to enable them to be able to by faith eceive jesus and be saved?

As jesus Himself said, its the work of the HS to produce new birth in us...

Unless the HS Himself opens my heart/mind to be able to respond even to the Good news about jesus, how can I repent/believe in "just " hearing/reading the Gospel?

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

just asking if others see repentance/faith as something that we can produce out of our sinful natures 'naturally!"

That they are potential able to be produced, as part of the condition that we are all in before being saved by God!

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You don't understand either. Denial of augustinianism doesn't equate to pelagianism.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Amen Brother
    MB

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still trying to prove a inability to respond to the gospel. It's just not in scripture. So why believe in your own reasoning? When all you have to do is believe in God's.
    MB

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Don't know, All can say is that unless the Lord opens our minds/heart to receive jesus, we prfer to stay in the dark!

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Do you have inherit in you the means to repent and provide saving faith or not?

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do MB....right here;

Paul understood this...

This is what I believe MB...how about you.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Based on this question you posted...I say I know just enough:thumbs::laugh:

Anyone who denies spiritual death in the fall...has a wounded Adam with full ability...he just needs the right information..he can do what the Apostle paul said He cannot do.....

Does this qualify as a non sequitur to you.....or it enabled you to answer with a quip...instead of re-thinking the issue:laugh:

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Did you answer the question? I can't tell. Is the gospel a powerful gracious work of the spirit or not? A simple yes or no will do.

12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Nobody in this world is outside the influence of The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is everywhere, omnipresent, just as God the Father and God Jesus Christ is.

The Holy Spirit is dealing with every person on this earth, giving every person an opportunity to be one of the "whosoeverwlls". Praise the Lord!

I like how the great bible teacher Zola Levitt once put it...

13. JesusSaves!

JesusSaves! New Member

Not here to debate or argue, just tell you that I heard a voice that I had never heard before when the gospel was preached to me. God spoke to my heart and showed me I was naked and in my sin and shame. Several times, I rejected the master. I got to a place that I wanted to hear from Heaven. I would pray and pray and still nothing. Then, I was going through the motions singing near the piano during service lost and undone, the Holy Spirit began to tug at my heart. I said now is not the time, and the drawing power began to weaken. So, I told the Lord to hold on and I was coming to him, when I knelt down the way he had asked and humbled my heart before him, Jesus saved my soul and the burden of sin and shame was rolled away. This is how it happened to me, nothing I did but except him when he called my name. My the Lord Bless and Strengthen Each One to Shine to this Lost and Dieing World.

14. Skandelon

:praying: A yes or no, will do.

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

it is, but its NOT the sole agency the Lord uses to bring His elect unto faith in Christ and eternal life!

he uses the work of the HS internally to prepare the sinner that God has chosen to save to be enabled to hear the Gospel, turn toChrist and get saved!

the elect have both Spirit and Bible at work, and thus they will urn to Christ and get saved...

The Lost have the Gospel taught/preached to them, but reject it, as in natural states dead/deaf/dumb to being affected by it!

16. Skandelon

That is not what I asked. You can hold that it is not the "sole" work of God, but first at least answer the question:

Is the gospel a powerful gracious work of the Spirit or not?

YES or NO?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe he said it was..."but". A good attorney would at that point reply "thank you, your honor, no further questions? :)

This should put to bed his pejoratives of our view being a self-salvationist, seeking God on our own apart from His grace and work first. I wouldn't bet on it though...

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Jesus saves...

Thank you for posting your salvation testimony. You might be interested to know that your testimony is almost exactly the same as my testimony, except that I was not in a church building.

19. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

said that it is, but it is NOT the only/sole agent the Lord uses to bring one to being saved!

Its the Gospel and the working of the HS to both bring the elected sinner to faith in Christ!

20. Skandelon

:laugh:

This is one of the major issues of this debate. Cals seem to forget that the NT wasn't written 1000 years AFTER Christ came to earth, the Holy Spirit came down like fire, the Gospel was sent to be proclaimed into all the world by divinely appointed apostles and the church was established.

They seem to forget that THOSE are the MEANS God uses to seek and save the Lost and they take passages which describe the condition of mankind without all these gracious provisions of God and think they equally apply to those who have been graced by the powerful Gospel appeal, the conviction of the HS and the influence of Christ's bride.