1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can one be a reckless giver or tither?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

There are lots of Christian non-tithers and non-givers with regards money and material things. But can one be an excessive tither or giver to the point that others might call such givers "reckless?"

My point is--is there such a thing as a "reckless" or "excessive" tither/giver in the EYES OF GOD?

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I don't believe you can out give God. Check your motivation. God can always out bless you.

If you are giving to a point that you cannot pay your bills and support your family then you are wrong. God doesn't need for you to sacrifice that way. It isn't about the money. It is about your heart.

If you are sitting in a service and you have had an emergency. The plate is rushing twards you and you really cannot afford your full tithe. What do you do?

God would rather see you put in what you can afford and do it cheerfully rather than see you sit under a pastor telling you that no matter what, if you don't give your 10% you are robbing God. If you give under that type of pressure then the giver is not blessed. Only the reciever. Remember: GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER. Also do it with a little wisdom concerning other committments.

3. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Soulman,

But one can also be a cheerful giver and give 1% tithe, and this would still be wrong.

My premise is that this "reckless" giver can afford to pay his bills and meet his family's needs more than enough. This guy is not that rich, but has enough savings.

He wants to be blessed more, so instead of giving 10%, he gives 25%. And he "freely" gives money to those in need. If someone borrows $100, he gives $250, and doesn't expect to be paid back. He wants to be blessed more is his motivation.

Anything wrong with that?

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Technically speaking I would think the expression "excessive tither" would be an oxymoron. Either you give 10% or you DON'T.
    (Granted, there are the "10% of what," and "to whom" aspects.)

I would suppose there will be some of those in the "worse than an infidel" category when it comes to prioritizing the budgeting of one's income, but, as was indicated, that usually derives from some sort of ill-placed motive(s).

God gave us brains to use. Some may need a good whack or two with a 2 x 4 [in Christian LOVE, of course ;)] if they continually fail to meet their God-ordained obligations to pay what NEEDS to be paid at home, and maybe a preacher or two might need some as well.

Any one want to line up as first in the receiving line?

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by: ROBERTGUWAPO
    My premise is that this "reckless" giver can afford to pay his bills and meet his family's needs more than enough. This guy is not that rich, but has enough savings.

Nothing wrong with that. I know a guy that wanted to go into business. He promised God that he wanted to make enough to give 90% and live on 10%. God granted this mans request. I don't see anything reckless about it unless he is doing it to show off. If not, I am sure he is a blessing to the ministry.

6. kennethc

kennethc New Member

I would say yes IF you do not meet your other financial obligations.

I am not talking about giving of our excess, I am talking about giving a large percentage of your income when you have no food for your family (for instance).

We are told to take care of our families and our just debts.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has called us to be good stewards of what He has given to us.
    As Kennwthc said very well, one must meet their family responsibilities.

Someone who can discipline themselves enough to care for their needs and responsibilities and then give abundantly is surely blessed.

Giving motivated by guilt or excessivly zealous preaching can promote poor stewardship decisions and lead to improper deligation of a persons funds.

Rob

8. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

If one givesto God from their heart I dont think it is wreckless because God will always give us back far more than we can ever give Him. besides it is ALL His any way.

If some one is giving to be boastful or with an agenda attatched to his giving, I would consider that foolish.

9. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

An interesting individual worth a google search would be R. G. LeTourneau .

R.G.LeT was not a reckless tither. He wound up giving 90% and lived on the 10%.

Are of us therefore commanded to "Go ye therefore and do likewise"?

Of course not, but this man did.

10. Amity

Amity Guest

I don't see that any over analyzation is necessary. Motivation of the giving is what is important to God. And, IMHO, people that truly understand the amazing abundance that God blesses us with, will cheerfully give their tithe, and additional when there is additional need.

When someone says "I can't afford to tithe" the thought in the back of my mind is something my dad always used to say to me: "you can't afford NOT to".

2 Corinthians
    6But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

9(As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

11Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

12For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;

13Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;

14And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.

15Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

In Christian love.
    Amity [​IMG]

11. graceb2u

graceb2u New Member

I think there is such a thing as a reckless giver. I knew a man who let his family go hungry, without heat, and without food. He said because he needed to give all his money to God. I don't think God would appreciate this at all.

12. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Graceb2u,

Your story and the idea that "you cannot outgive God" cannot both be true.

I believe your story.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can give, but not all giving is wise. I do not think God would be pleased if I gave 1/2 my money to various organizations but had no certainty that this money was not being misused, squandered, etc.

One of the "Tsunami Relief" Funds is a front for rebuilding Al-Quaida training camps on Sumatra, Indonesia. Giving to such a "charity" would be reckless and God would not be pleased.

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Any "Christian" organization NOT a member of the ECFA automatically rings bells in my heart.

Not saying all others are 500% of the devil, but unless you personally know of the character and creditability of the individual(s) behind the "ministry" to which God "told" you to give, well.......

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Most certainly there is. If, in your giving, you are taking money away from, say, your basic necessesities, such as food and shelter, that would qualify. For example, if you decide to not pay the mortgage, and instead drop that $1200 in the offering plate, you would be guilty of reckless, not to mention, irresponsible, giving.

As for recklessness in tithing, tithing involves a regular set percentage (typically, 10%). REgularly tithing is not by any means recklessness.

I would staunchly disagree. Most churches and religious charitable organization are not members of the ECFA. Neither my church, nor any church I've ever attended, is a member of the ECFA. Many denominations (such as the PCA, the RCA, the ELCA, etc) require accountability and financial disclosure of individual churches, making membership in the ECFA redundant.

16. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Johnv (et. al.)

To each his own. I suppose I should have clarified what "Christian 'Organizations'" means to me.

To me that would mean an organization that is not a local church or a "national/regional" denomination. What I meant to post are those that tack on "Christian" to their name, but have very little accountability otherwise.

My local church isn't a member of the ECFA, yet because I have confidence in the integrity of her elders, deacons, etc., I have no problem donating to her.

While there are many local churches or denominational outreaches that are NOT ECFA members

http://www.efca.org

many are.

OK?

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A Christian orgainzation would generally be any charitable organization that is not a house of worship, that is doing a Christian work. For example, the Salvation Army Charities (the folks with the red buckets) is not a church, but is a Christian ministry. Habitat for Humanity is not a church, but is a Christian ministry. BTW, HfH is not a member of the ECFA, and I've been invloved with them for years.

To me that would mean an organization that is not a local church or a "national/regional" denomination. What I meant to post are those that tack on "Christian" to their name, but have very little accountability otherwise.

My local church isn't a member of the ECFA, yet because I have confidence in the integrity of her elders, deacons, etc., I have no problem donating to her.

While there are many local churches or denominational outreaches that are NOT ECFA members

http://www.efca.org

many are.

OK? [/QB][/QUOTE]