1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Satan be saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Jun 24, 2007.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, if it WILL happen then it MUST happen. But I like your observation. Let's focus on that - CAN Satan/demons be saved?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What standard are you using to measure "fair"?

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't apologize for picking. You'll be hating me again before this thread is done. I'm going to drive home a point and you won't like it! :)

I don't see the difference you're making between Adam and Satan in this regard. Adam enjoyed fellowship with God. He was created upright and "perfect". Adam was in God's presence, as those whom He has saved will be in the future.

Your contention is that demons are somehow "worse" sinners than man, right? And for this, they get no chance to be saved? NO CHANCE? Is that fair?

Edit another question for Scarlett: Are you saying that Satan, or Adam, or both, chose evil?

#23 J.D., Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Skeptic: Fair is everyone getting an equal chance.

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

If the fallen angels were to be saved, it would require an atonement being made for them, and there hasn't been one. Hebrews 2 tells us that the Son took on the nature of human beings in order to make atonement for them, but he did not take on the nature of angels in order to help them.

#25 russell55, Jun 25, 2007
  6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Skeptic: WHY didn't Jesus take on the nature of angels to save them? Is that FAIR?

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The skeptic is wrong. ;)

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

How would we know why he didn't? We just know that he didn't.

How is that fair? Rebellion against God deserves condemnation. The fallen angels get what they deserve for their rebellion against God, and that's fair.

9. KeithS

KeithS New Member

Your definition of fair is inadequate. God does not promise "fairness" nor is it one of his attributes. God is just. God is righteous. God is good. God is holy. I don't remember God is fair being in the list...

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Skeptic: Didn't Adam rebel against God? How come he gets to be saved and Satan doesn't? Is that justice? Is that fair? Does Satan have any choice in the matter of his destiny?

11. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

satan

Matthew 16:23
    Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

12. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fairness would exclude mercy and grace.
    If God were fair, we would all go to hell. No one would be saved.
    Since God is not fair, and is a God of mercy and grace, He shows mercy and grace, and saves people from their sins who do not a wit deserve it, nor are in any manner capable of it.

13. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to name names?

14. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

FAIR? Did you see what he did to Job? You hear of what goes on in the world -- most of it he did (God allowed him to, which still means he has free will...)! I'm glad Satan and his angels are the only beings on earth I don't have to forgive!

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What are "elect angels?" I know of nowhere in the Bible that angels are spoken as "elect" and nowhere that Christ's sacrifice applied to angels.

16. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Back to that free will bit...I realized that if Satan does have free will and can still choose weither to do good or evil or not, that would explain why God lets him roam the earth, to prove that satan is walking himself to destruction! If he wanted to make the case that God is the one who is in the wrong, that God couldn't be trusted or isn't worth following, he could merely stop doing evil permantly, not just for a season and see weither God pardons him or not! However I don't think he wants to seeing that making that decision would put him back where he started, under God's feet....

#36 UnchartedSpirit, Jun 25, 2007
  17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Between statements like this, your accusations that people follow Calvin instead of Christ, and saying that if anyone disagrees with you they are blaspheming the Holy Spirit, I'm amazed you haven't been banned yet.

#37 npetreley, Jun 25, 2007
  18. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yes, Adam rebelled against God. He was condemned for it. That's justice.

It is God's prerogative to give mercy to whom he wishes.

As long as no one receives less from God than they deserve, God is just.

He made the choice in the matter of his destiny when he rebelled against God.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels , I solemnly charge you to carry out these commands without prejudice or favoritism of any kind . ( 1 Timothy 5:21 NET ).

Now you know BB . Of course Christ's sacrifice did not apply to angels .

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

I chose to stay pretty much off the BB and just lurk for a time. However there are a 'few' threads recently which I have engaged for my own reasons but this is one I will do so only because there is a scripture that hasn't been brought up that speaks to this issue - IMO.

WHile it deals with men it's application is universal to both men AND angels to a point and may shed some light on this.

Hebrews 6
    Note first: It is impossible for those who (have come to know and partake)...if they fall away, to renew them again.

This same principle of falling away thereby sealing them in condemnation can be applied to the Angelic Host with one difference.

We (as men) have to come to know these things because we are alienated from God and Life, and for THAT reason we CAN BE redeemed.

Angels ALREADY ARE in the presense of God, seeing God in all His glory and slendor, KNOWING already the truth of His Word and The Truth, His Word - Jesus.

They are already 'partakers' so to speak, and therefore if they should fall it is impossible to renew them.

How is Adam different than Satan in this. Scripture states that Adam walked with God in the Evening only. It doesn't state that God revealed Himself completely to Adam nor that Adam partook in ANY of the spiritual blessing that Christ redeemed men do. With maybe the exception of learning about God and being able to speak with God. However, these were and are a natural means wereby men gather and obtain information to aquire knowlegde and understanding which are, interestingly enough, filtered through our nature. Adams nature was not corrupted yet with sin so he COULD grow spritually in knowledge and understanding of God in the natural man unlike us. Our nature is contrary to God and all information we recieve through natural means are twisted becuase of our twisted nature away from God. And it is for that reason we can not KNOW God nor will we desire to, unless God bypass the natural man and spiritually reveal truth directly to us - but that is somewhat a different issue)

Adam was not enlightened to the knowledge of God as such, and did not taste the heavenly gift, and was not made a partaker of the Holy Ghost, and had not tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come. Therefore Adam COULD BE redeemed.

But Satan on the other hand. Was in the very presense of God, ministered before Him, saw the fulness of His glory, KNEW His Word and Power of God. He knew the truth and rejected it. So for him there is no redeption. He saw it all (no need for faith) and rejected it.

But that is my two cents.

#40 Allan, Jun 25, 2007