1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can/should Calvinists & Non-cals cooperate?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I talk to atheists all day long, really they dont care....however the term "Enemy" would tick them off & you'd hear..."See these Christians who claim to operate off of love; what hypocrites they are" ! Think on that for a while.

#21 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently a member of a very close knit local church and we have a wide range of beliefs between C and A, yet we have harmony and fellowship.

HankD

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say it was not possible Hank ....however if you look at some of the posts in BB you can clearly see divisions, agreed? I would like to hear how you would propose to mend these people together.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

This is a debate board. Naturally there will appear to be a huge rift in the anonymity of cyber space. However, in real life, for the vast majority it would be different. Many would not talk to each other in real life as they do here. They would get a long in a church setting much better than they would here where they can hide behind the key board. I know because sadly I've hidden there a few times.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think it depends on what you mean by "fellowship and cooperate." If you mean come to a singing, giving them a hug, eating together, or just hanging out yes. If you mean setting and each one saying what they believe on this issue then probably not.

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Thanks for these comments. It saved me a lot of typing!

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It is preordained that we will be "mended together" in Heaven.:smilewinkgrin:

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

That we can agree on. :):applause::thumbsup:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Same here.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To answer the OP, we should all be given swords and spears and put into the valley of Megiddo to fight to the death. :rolleyes:

If a calvinist, arminian, non-cal / non-arm cannot work together it is on the individual, not the doctrines.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Sounds a lot like the church I serve.

12. PeterM

PeterM Member

Absolutely they can partner and serve together. That said, I would practically draw a line at planting churches together.

13. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists and Arminians can certainly work together.
    When Dr. Lloyd-Jones first went to Westminster Chapel in 1938, he was co-Pastor with Campbell Morgan who was an Arminian. Loyd-Jones recalled that they got on together very well.

I could certainly work with an evangelical Arminian colleague. The only difference would be that I wouldn't tell unconverted folk that Christ died for them. What I will tell them is that Christ died for sinners just like them and that if they will come to Him, He will certainly not turn them away.

Steve

14. 12strings

12strings Active Member

2 questions:

1. So should my church (which contains both Calvinists and arminians and general non-cals) refrain from planting another church until we figure out which side we are on?

2. Should the SBC refrain from planting churches until it figures out this whole calvinism issue?

(My view is "No" to both)

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Calvinist-Arminian thing is a red herring that, if pursued too much and fretted over too long will distract from the foundations of the Gospel.

I've planted churches with believers from across the theological spectrum (since it isn't just Calvinist or Arminian...there are many other options) and things have gone wonderfully.

Find Jesus loving people who are rich in the Spirit and exhibit grace.

Then plant as many churches as possible.

Lost people don't care about our dumb theological turf wars.

16. PeterM

PeterM Member

Interesting questions to say the least, but it's always amazing to me that we Jesus people will ignore certain things and focus like lasers on other. If you view my entire comment, which was never intended to be picked apart but simply be a general statement that responded to the OP, you will notice that I said that both Cals and Armins can ABSOLUTELY serve together. And since I need to be persnickety with my words, I will also indicate that from my perspective, that would include a local church.

If a church that contains cals and non-cals and armins can successfully plant a church, which at its core is essentially a process of reproduction, I see no issue with that per se, so long as the planting church has its soteriological "ducks" in order. I'm good with church folks being either or so long as they know why. Being calvinistic in my views and being a lead pastor, those things tend to shine through my preaching, teaching, and leadership within the body... i.e. the folks I serve can float down either river or blend as the HS leads them.

My statement comes from a "partnering" perspective. Would I intentionally plant a church with a church that was "solidly" not soteriologically sound? No. However, would I partner with them in other endeavors. Sure... absolutely.

And for the record, the SBC as an entity shouldn't be in the church planting business. It doesn't exist except for 3 days out of a calendar year. Churches are at the top of the food chain in Baptist life (may it always be) not the corporate entities the churches drive. That said, the SBC (read state and local associations) should be in the business of financially supporting both reformed and non-reformed plants. That isn't happening in all areas and its usually the reformed folks who are getting the short end of the stick... but not always.

This discussion is why Acts 29 is growing exponentially across the US. Interesting that you can be a SBC congregation and still be an Acts 29 plant/replant, but if a SBC church starts to lean reformed... yikes... they might get the boot.

BTW... what's a Calvinism issue?:laugh:

#36 PeterM, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont hear anything back form the hardliners! My question is how do you stay away from hot theological issues that serve to divide......sounds like a sterile Church environment where everyone holds hands & sings Kumbaya. :laugh: Seriously Ive also been to Baptist churches where they invariably attempt to modify or change my belief convictions.....sometimes subtly sometimes not so subtly. After those experiences, I just made a decision its safer to not go to a "Blended" or Non -Calvinistic church. That way I protect the sanctity of my faith beliefs.

18. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Thanks for the extended reply. Though our church contains members of all stripes, our pastors are pretty calvinistic, and if we planted a church, we would want to make sure the leader of that church at the very least held a strong view of God's sovereignty, depravity of man, God being the agent of salvation, and Eternal security. I do understand that a church that was hotly divided on such issues would have trouble starting a new gospel ministry.

I Guess I'm one who really wants to believe we can work together, but in some cases beliefs about how God works are so varied it would be difficult to have meaningful cooperation. If we have a pastor across town who said at a funeral of a young man who died suddenly, "God had nothing to do with this." There is little chance of us agreeing enough to ever allow him a teaching opportunity with our people.

"The calvinism issue" is simply the fact that calvinism seems to be a hot issue in SBC conversations right now, and I wanted to know if you thought that we should simply form 2 new groups, one for cals, and one for non-cals...or keep cooperating as we are.

19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'll admit we don't go around mentioning Calvinistic doctrine all the time, but we recently had a sunday school series on soteriology, which included a lesson on election and one on perseverance. We had some good, respectful discussions, tried to keep bringing it back to scripture, admitted we do not know everything but stated that we do believe God chooses those who are saved and that those who are truly christians cannot lose their salvation.

We had those who disagreed, and sought to find common ground with them rather than condemn them as heretics. (Such as, We both believe we must spread the gospel and that each person must respond in faith to the Gospel...and that a person who does not now seem to be a christian needs to hear the gospel...whether or not we think they were never or christian, or they were and abandoned their faith).

I think those kinds of things are healthy for our church. Of course, as we keep teaching over the years, we think people will grow in their understanding of the sovereignty of God and his sovereign role in salvation. We don't care all that much if they ever call it calvinism or not, and we aren't out to demonize who find those ideas difficult, or who disagree with them.