1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can Someone PLEASE Define Cussing/Profanity?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The Pharisees were lying hypocrites. Of course you're not Jesus. Neither am I. But He is our example and we are to follow Him. And when we fail, He forgives us. But we are to do our best to be what He has created us to be.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes, the worst crime of humanity is hypocrisy. It is the mother of all sins.There is not a man or woman alive, I am certain, who does not wallow in it, knowingly or unknowingly. We must accept ourselves for who we are. That is the secret of a healthy mind & body.

Now hypocrisy should not be wholly detested. Without it we should have no civilization, nor could humans live together for a single hour without killing each other. Other words for it are gentility and tolerance and regard for neighbor, and self-restraint and self-discipline. I might even go so far as to say that without it we would have no churches and no religions. :smilewinkgrin:

#42 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes it should.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.

I'm sure you're about to make a point, right? :laugh:

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Praise God for your obedience John. The ones to whom you are reaching out and whom society often shuns are the very same ones who played such a major part in the ministry of Jesus.:applause::applause:

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

YES!!!:applause:

I think this is one of the key things that we miss in America. We have the many issues that we are against and that's what the world sees because we make such a big deal about it.

Perhaps if we would make as big a deal out of loving folks in spite of their issues and pointing them to Christ in spite of their issues instead of always making noise because of the issue, perhaps we would be more effective.

I think you perfectly demonstrate this John. You could have started a big anti-gang campaign and all you would have been known to the gangsters as would be some Christian man who is against them.

But when you say to a man who has lived that life "Hey, I know what you've done and the life you've lived, but I still love you because God loves you" and you proceed to treat him like a fellow human being instead of someone whose sin is worse than your own...WATCH OUT.

The walls come down and the hardest exterior softens to the sweetness that is the love of Christ being demonstrated.

Bless you John!!!

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Alright EWF, what's going on?

Ahhh. Forget the first question. This clarified.

Praise God for you and your wife. Keep up the good fight because there is indeed a need for good Soldiers right here.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's trite, but the lost act lost. And we who have been saved and are being saved should recognize this better than any other as He brought us out of the same things.

Ya got to get down in the trenches and get a little dirty. It may not always be Sunday morning padded pew and shoe polished clean. Lost people cuss, drink etc. And when you're attempting to minister to folks in order to share the GOOD NEWS with them, we have to recognize again that these things are just sinful people attempting to cope with their brokenness.

But instead of going off on what they are doing wrong, perhaps we can invite them to a homemade dinner and show them something different. Perhaps we can take them in off the street and give them some place warm and safe to lay their heads at night.

We have to participate in the world in order to positively affect for Christ those who are of the world. When I'm ministering to folks who are struggling with drug abuse, I expect to hear some stuff. :laugh: But the cussing becomes very secondary to getting them to a point of recognizing why they are on the verge of killing themselves with drugs, and why they don't have to.

All of it is a coping mechanism and we have to point them to Christ, cuss words and all.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And if who we are is in opposition to Christ? I'm kinda following what you'er trying to say but can you clarify that bolded part? Thanks.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Sad when some brothers in Christ don't realize the witness they are demonstrating to others is the very same thing as what they are mocking. Do you not realize, Brother, that your words paint a picture that you are, indeed, taking a "holier than thou persona" upon yourself, as well?

As brothers in Christ, shouldn't we all be constantly striving to be more and more like our Saviour? No, not one, can be Him. To say that we are not Him, is, IMO, an excuse when we don't want to admit that we can be more like Him. But, choose not to do so. When you choose to use a thinly veiled version of one of the most vulgar words in the English language, before brothers and sisters in Christ that said a lot about you. You felt, apprarently, that it was necessary to reach deep into the gutter for the shock value you could retrieve in order to express your opinion. If you'll do that here, in an assembly of believers, what extent will you go to with those who can't communicate without gutter language? That, my Brother, is the impression that you, Sir, are leaving here.

Jesus accepts us as who we are! Every believer in Christ should already know who he was and who he should strive to be regardless of the limitations imposed by this fleshly body. Yes, I fall down. Yes, I make mistakes. Yes, I sometimes have to hang my head in shame. When I get up off my knees, these words come to mind... Go an sin no more...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I can't change out of this fleshly body until He calls me home. There is one thing I can try continually to change.

Matthew 15: KJB
    18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Go and sin no more.

Just maybe, with His help, I can be one small step closer to that tomorrow than I am today.

BTW, I suspect that your definition of hyprocisy may be a little different from mine.

hy·poc·ri·sy [hi-pok-ruh-see] Show IPA
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrisy
    noun, plural hy·poc·ri·sies.
    1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
    2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
    3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy
    1: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially: the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion

Related words:
    deceit, deceitfulness, deception, deceptiveness, dishonesty, double-dealing, falsity, perfidy, two-facedness; affectation, affectedness, pretense (or pretence), pretension, pretentiousness, sanctimoniousness, self-righteousness, self-satisfaction; duplicity, fakery, falseness, fraudulentness, shamming; artificia

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's my thinking also. We know that we are not perfect. But we should commit ourselves to those things and the mindset that drives us towards being more like Christ.

I also think the response to what EWF said is the perfect demonstration perhaps of why he said what he said because I think a lot of time when those in the world say such things, we respond in much the same way, as though they are striving toward the standard that is Christ when they couldn't be.

Our words are to glorify God and exhort and build up.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen Oldtimer.....I choose to show deference to you because I respect my elders. But note that I will continue to show indifference to what I consider a absurd frenzy....IE Language usage.

This is my own personal opinion & if you choose to despise my actions or me, that is your affair, it doesn't concern me in the least. However I will stand by my opinion & respect it. Thank you very much.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I will not. Im done with this forum. You asked for honesty & Ive given it to you....and for that I get blasted. Next time I will avoid this monumental wasting of my time.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh really & truly. LOL.

So Amy, you've never been one, never indulged? Really.....I will have to alert the Catholics to a Tennessee Canonization & from now on I shall refer to you as Saint Amy..... St. Amy.G of Tennessee :laugh:

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I never said anything like what you've posted here. I am a sinner. I never said otherwise.

What I did say is that hypocrisy should be detested. I detest sin, don't you?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I do not...it is reality and its deeply ingrained in this world in every human being. Just ask any politician and pastor

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You don't feel bad when you sin against God? You don't hate the sin that nailed Jesus to the cross?

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh come on.... now your being obtuse & I will give you a perfect example.

I have been married to my wife for 25 Years & knew her for 3 yrs prior to our marriage. An hour ago I put in 3 CD's .....1 is a Bach CD, 2nd is John Coltrane (Jazz with lots of soprano sax) & 3rd is Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits also Jazz with a favorite song of hers "Take Five" . I set them to play in that order because I know my wife. She was a DJ at the University of Miami in the 70's & her taste in music is 70's 80' & some 90's contemporary rock & she has developed a Motown taste (Temptations, Al Greene, Smokey Robinson & my favorite....Marvin Gay). Well I start the player & I just know she will tolerate Bach & even like one or 2 movements---they are, after all pretty music.

Then the player moves to Coltrane. By the 3rd song she is at the machine turning it down....sax riffs get on her nerves, so I come outa the office & raise my voice.....Honey, what are you doing? Thats John Coltrane!!!! Yea I know, she tells me but the bass is too loud. Thats her way of appeasing me.

So when I come into the kitchen to get some coffee, I say to her....."ya really dont like Coltrane do ya" & she replies ..... no no I like it.... then I shoot back, "come on Pam.... your full a Sh*t, ya really dont like it, admit it" ..... she brakes into a laugh....no no I like it, but.....

Well now, you could consider this conversation a vile series of lies by my wife (where I consider it Discretion) & you could consider me a degenerate cur for saying a, Heaven forbid, filthy cuss word directly to the woman I love....right!

Seriously though, it was just harmless banter between two people who love one another. You see it one way apparently & I see it another.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't see what all that has to do with your post about not detesting sin. You have confused me.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me summarize, I just put the TEMPTATIONS (the Ultimate collection) in the player. She is in the kitchen maken my favorite, hamburger pie..... now playin "My Girl" ...I guess youd say, what could make me feel this way....My Girl! :laugh:

Or maybe this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_aahkIdEI

#60 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013