1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured can the natural man. a sinner, overcome the Flesh by His own works and deeds?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Jan 2, 2014.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then stop telling us we don't understand what they believe.

The effectual calling is a false teaching???

Actually, he was. He has several sermons condemning Reformed theology and his successor, Steve Gaines, is even more aggressive in his hatred for Reformed theology.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Calvinist salvation scheme an individual must repent. Thus man participates in his own salvation.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never did I am saying you do not understand what non cals believe. Two different people.

The way cals teaching...yep

Condemning reformed theology does not make one an arminian. Not all non cals are arminians

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You left out one small detail: You forgot to mention that, included in the Reformed call to repentance is the Biblical teaching that repentance is a work of God, not of man.

LOL...Kind of like the little boy who knocks the cookie jar off the counter and then, with all the sincerity and earnestness a six year old can muster, looks at his mother and says, "But I didn't break the cookie jar, mommy! The floor did!"

I never said it made him one. It was the result of his Arminianism, not the cause of it.

#24 JohnDeereFan, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    repentance is not a work. Works are a reference to OT law and is never a reference to anything else.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible:
    Luke 13:3 NKJV
    I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.

Matthew 4:17
    From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Mark 6:12
    So they went out and preached that people should repent.

Luke 15:7
    I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good posts, good articulations, thank you.

#27 kyredneck, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    provide scriptures that can be caused to show, by all context, that the "repentance" called for is a necessary component of salvation and redemption UNTO eternity, the one Christ shed His blood for, and maybe I'll become a Calvinist.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    in answer to the OP. a natural man can "reform" but that is not a regenerate repenting.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. This is the second time I've seen a calvinist say that arminians and pelagians are one and the same (the other one was evangelist).

I ascribe to most, but not all, of Arminius' teachings; and I ascribe to most, but not all, of Calvin's teachings. I'm somewhere between Arminius and Calvin. What does that make me?

The simple answer to the OP: No man can save himself. All our righteousness is as filthy rags. The question is: We all know this, so what was the purpose of the OP?

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not want you to become a Calvinist, but here's your verse:

Luke 13:3 NKJV
    I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've taken this out of context. The Prophet was warning 'that generation' of the wrath that was soon to come and how to escape it; it's in the same vein as:

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Acts 2

,,,and:

23 And it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people. Acts 3

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all in like manner perish
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish Lu 13

The phrases “in like manner” and “likewise” are in reference to the violence of war, which indeed came to pass, and not to random incidents of chance. I would amplify the passage with vv. 3 & 5 to read:

1 Now there were some present at that very season who told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood [Pilate's soldiers] had mingled with their sacrifices.
    2 And he answered and said unto them, Think ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they have suffered these things?
    3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all in like manner [by the sword] perish [in the wrath that is to come upon this generation; i.e. the war of AD 66-70]
    4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the [soldiers garrisoned in the tower in Siloam] fell, and killed them, think ye that they were offenders above all the men that dwell in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise [by the sword] perish [in the wrath that is to come upon this generation; i.e. the war of AD 66-70] Lu 13

#32 kyredneck, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an excellent, succinct response.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that the bottom line difference would be tht we calvinists hold to the Lord meaning the death of jesus obrained certain salvation for just his elect, while arminians hold to God potentially using that to save none or all, depending on how we respond to him!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1's posts are torturous to read.... ! Who said what in the above post?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was getting to what Jesus meant by ALL of us being slaves to sin, that in our 'natural" natures, cannot cease to stop sinning, just limit to how much control it has over us, but ONLY saved can experience freedom from sin as God intends for the redeemed!

The best non saved person still sins, sometimes a lot, or big, but also has to, as flesh cannot overcome

18. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No. He cannot. A fish can't bark.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which arminians hold to a "none or all" philosophy?

True arminians agree with calvinists that God takes the first step. Pelagians and semi-pelagians argue that man can come to God on his own.

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The "best saved" also still sin....and I suspect "sin "a lot"".