1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can the Patriots beat the Steelers in the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PatsFan, Dec 10, 2004.

1. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I think the Patriots have an excellent shot at beating the Steelers in the playoffs with a healthy Corey Dillon and a healthy Ty Law back in the secondary.

2. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

On any given Sunday either of these two teams could win against the other. This is going to be a good playoff season.
    WallyGator

3. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I agree. It might come down to which team makes the least mistakes. Jacksonville could have beaten Pittsburgh last Sunday evening if they had taken a time out and left themselves with more time to score. The Steelers looked vulnerable. On the other hand the Steelers quarterback was very poised in a very tough, physical game.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the NFC teams will be the dark horse - no pressure, no expectation, no hype - and one of the 3-4 halfway decent teams will come shining through and make it a good playoff on both sides.

I was a Steeler fan in the Mean Joe Green days, but haven't thought much of them since.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I agree. So far the Eagles are head and shoulders above the rest in the NFC. Maybe the Panthers will emerge again. It's hard to imagine the Eagles self-destructing 3 years in a row in the NFC championship game, though.

6. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Those two guys wouldn't have made any difference in their previous game since Pittsburgh went up 21-3 in the first quarter. The Pats had to play catch-up ball after that. A lot of Brady, and a little of Corey.

And as far as players being healthy now, there is still a lot of football to be played. What if either Roethlisberger or Brady get hurt before they play (if they play, that is)? Remember, if both those teams get the first round bye, and they should, they still have to play two good teams in order to meet again. And even if they both win, what about key injuries in those games?

Most fans would like to see that matchup though. I think that the game will be played in New England since the Pats schedule is easy the rest of the way. But that is no way to prepare for a playoff run, playing poor teams.

I remember the '85 Bears winning the Super Bowl easily and the NFL rewarding them with the easiest schedule in the history of the NFL the next year. (They are supposed to make the schedule harder, but the NFL liked their act and wanted to see it again). Well, I predicted that they would lose their first playoff game at home to the Redskins since they hadden't played a really good team all year. They lost that game to the Redskins, and it was an easy win for the Redskins. Teams usually play to the level of their competition, and the Pats have to hope that they don't fall into that trap.

7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

[/qb][/QUOTE]Those two guys wouldn't have made any difference in their previous game since Pittsburgh went up 21-3 in the first quarter. The Pats had to play catch-up ball after that. A lot of Brady, and a little of Corey.[/QUOTE]

With 3 quarters left, I think Corey could have still made a difference. Brady could have at least done some play action pass stuff. Unfortunately there was another turnover at the beginning of the third quarter though, so you might be right.

I would definitely like to see it!

I[/QUOTE] think that the game will be played in New England since the Pats schedule is easy the rest of the way. But that is no way to prepare for a playoff run, playing poor teams.
    [/QUOTE]

I've seen some interviews with Belichick. Every week he has the Pats believing they are playing against a Steelers caliber team. This week he is reminding the team about their 31-3 PRE-SEASON loss to the Bengals to prepare them. It's actually kind of funny. I don't think there will be a let down.

The Jets could give your boys a run for their money tomorrow. We're hoping for one more Pittsburg loss before the playoffs.

8. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Steelers 17, Jets 6. Sorry.

You need to worry about playing the now desperate Jets in NY coming after a short week.

See ya in Pittsburgh!

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Fortunately the Jets will have a chance to take out their frustrations on another NFL team before they face the Pats on 12/26/04. I'm not really worried. I still think someone will give the Steelers ONE MORE loss. See you in Foxboro, ha, ha.

Tom

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

If the Steelers lose I believe it will be to the Bills. They are tough at home, and they are coming on strong.

Baltimore is Pittsburgh's biggest rival, and they almost never win at Pittsburgh.

As for the Jet's, the Pats are their biggest rival. That will be like a playoff game as they try again to reach the next level among the leagues elite teams. They are looking foward to that game I can assure you. Again, it will coming off a short week for the Pats. Win on Monday...

Both teams could lose one more game before the playoffs.

11. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

12. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

You could be right. Buffalo is looking strong, but unless Bledsoe gets rid of the ball a little quicker, the Pittsburgh defense will be in sack heaven.

We'll see about the Jets beating the Pats. If the Pats struggle at all against Miami, I might worry a little bit. Will you go to the playoff game it the Pats play the Steelers in Pittsburgh? I've already paid for my ticket for the AFC championship in Foxboro.

13. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

PatsFan writes:

"Will you go to the playoff game it the Pats play the Steelers in Pittsburgh? I've already paid for my ticket for the AFC championship in Foxboro."

In Pittsburgh all of the games have been sold out to season ticket holders since the early 70's. I work with a ticket broker named Dan.

http://www.tixoutlet.com/

Here is what he is charging for the Ravens game:

http://www.tixoutlet.com/buy.htm?id=TOI&next_plugin=Event&plugin_param=Pittsburgh+Steelers

Want to take a guess on what he will charge for the Pats game if it's here? Trust me, I can't afford it. I have been off work without pay for the last 5 weeks due to knee surgery. I go back to work on Monday.

On good thing though, I know that all of the Steeler games will be televised without fail. I was supprised to find out that only two Jacksonville games were sold out this year. How can anyone follow a team that you can't watch on TV?

For you Steeler fans:

http://www.steelers.com/digest/

click on 'news'

14. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Oh my! Only 3 of those seats were less than $200! I'm fortunate to be a Patriots season ticket holder. Before Bill Parcells came to the Patriots in the mid 1990's a lot of Pats games were not sold out. You had to catch a pirated broadcast in select bars if you wanted to watch the games on TV. God bless you as you return to work on Monday. I'll seriously keep you in prayer!

Tom

15. west

west New Member

I am from Pitts.so a long time Steeler fan .I think the Pats are our toughest Team to beat in the Playoffs if we get that far to play them .All the games from here on are tough .Giants at their home .The Ravens in Pitts.will be a hard game and the last game Buffalo will be tough also .If we beat only the Ravens I;ll be happy .
    I really don;t think with a rookie QB will get to the Big Game .Hope I am wrong .I still think our weakest part of our game is our pass defense .

16. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

nope, steelers will handle the pats. the toughest team for the steelers in the AFC will be Indy, if they have to play them. that O is tough to stop. im a chiefs fan, so not much hope til next year for me. should be a pitt-phil SB. GO EAGLES!!!!!

17. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Manning looked pretty good against their pass defense today. The Steelers remind me of the Patriots, though. They find a way to win. It wouldn't surprise me if they won the superbowl this year.

18. west

west New Member

Like I said their weak against the pass .Your right PatsFan they do find a way to win like you guys .
    I am really surprised on how good Bettis is this year .I had him done two years ago .Boy was I wrong .He had 140 yards and 36 carries .Not taking anything away from other playoff teams but I still think the top team in the NFL is the Patriots .I pciked them to win it in September .I stay with my pick .

19. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Bettis is good this year because he is injury free. He had a bad knee last year after having surgery. And the year before it was a bad groin.

He also hasn't had to run the ball as much this year, and his pride is hurt becase for the first time in his career he is a backup.

20. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Oh my! Only 3 of those seats were less than $200! I'm fortunate to be a Patriots season ticket holder. Before Bill Parcells came to the Patriots in the mid 1990's a lot of Pats games were not sold out. You had to catch a pirated broadcast in select bars if you wanted to watch the games on TV. God bless you as you return to work on Monday. I'll seriously keep you in prayer!

Tom [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Thanks Tom! (the knee is still a little sore, but I need the $) ;)

Here is another article that speaks to the one I gave you from the Pittsburgh paper. This time from your neck of the woods.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2004/12/19/no_1_isnt_top_requirement/