1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can the .....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by wpe3bql, Jun 13, 2015.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying God didn't know????

God said he would die, but he didn't. Regardless of your view, neither makes God a liar. I don't see God changing his mind here. Like DHK said, "in man's terms"(paraphrase) God changed his mind. God isn't a man and doesn't operate on our level, but some truth can be held, to his(DHK) statement in regards to a change of direction in God's proclamation.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do contingent covenant ring a bell?

Man-made doctrines that do not fit with all scripture as suspect. When a doctrine requires passage after passage (where God makes contingent covenants) to be declared null and void, it is time to broadcast, Folks, we have a problem.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you can't read and comprehend any better than that, you're really unfit for serious discussion.

Read my statement which started "btw"

Then come back and try again

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will be difficult to support from scripture that God knows the end from the beginning. I think it reads, God declares the end from the beginning, which supports that God knows what He has declared.

But to return to the actual issue. God makes contingent covenants. He says, if you repent, I will relent. What the exhaustive determinists must do is say God knew when He said "if" that they would or would not repent. Therefore God indicates two possible outcomes are possible. But He does not actually mean it, He knows what will happen. And so it goes, either exhaustive determinism is mistaken or God does not mean what He says.

5. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed your last paragraph, which I apologize for.

*I use my phone on this forum. My keyboard blocks the end of the posts. If I don't minimize, I can't see everything

#25 McCree79, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  6. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is talking exhaustive determinism?
    I have never heard this term, I assume you mean God determines every event by the use of this term?

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

I would not speak of it as "simply". Immutability when it comes to God who is beyond any of us is quite awesome and overwhelming.

Okay:laugh:

Do you ever pay attention to the OP on any thread, or do you just push your foul agenda? The OP asks....

[ Can the ..... immutable God ever change His will for an individual's life??]

This verse seems to answer that question quite directly, don't you think?:laugh:

That is not dealing with the OP...... but if you understood the verse it is all about "mercy".

[/QUOTE]

No....God never has to change His mind. :thumbs:

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Van and others here do not understand the doctrines of God's absolute sovereign grace. They instead describe a caricature which is theologically "fatalism", which no biblical Cal believes.
    They cannot answer the Cals biblically so they beat up the strawman instead:laugh::laugh:......The strawman does not resist them:thumbsup:

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree. "Go never "has to" change His mind.
    He never has to sleep, work, eat, study, etc. He doesn't "have to" do any such thing. Does he?
    But that is not the OP.
    The OP says:

.... immutable God ever change His will for an individual's life??

It is not what God "has to" do, but rather what God does do.
    Thus the question should more accurately be put, "Does God, who is immutable, ever change his mind toward an individual"?

From a human perspective the answer is, "Yes, He does."

If you answer in the negative, and say that he does not on the premise that He does not change, then you also contradict his promises and must conclude "God does not and will not answer prayer."
    Man looks upon God and considers God from a human perspective.

Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
    Rom 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mc79...after reading the misguided posts here...cleanse your mind by reading this instead...:wavey::wavey:

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Attributes/attrib_07.htm

11. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good article. I am only half way through it. I will finish. I have to quit reading. My eyes are having a hard time focusing and my brain is fried. Too much reading today. Anabaptist History.....Rebel will be so proud :)

I like these 2 parts so far.

"When speaking of Himself. God frequently accommodates His language to our limited capacities. He describes Himself as clothed with bodily members, as eyes, ears, hands, etc. He speaks of Himself as "waking" (Ps. 78:65), as "rising early" (Jer. 7:13); yet He neither slumbers nor sleeps. When He institutes a change in His dealings with men, He describes His course of conduct as "repenting." "

"One of two things causes a man to change his mind and reverse his plans: want of foresight to anticipate everything, or lack of power to execute them. But as God is both omniscient and omnipotent there is never any need for Him to revise His decrees."

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No rush brother....it is refreshing to see so much truth without the others ripping it down...the whole book is a keeper.....

:thumbs::thumbs:

13. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From our perspective, it appears that God does change His mind. Take the account in Jonah and Isaiah 38. God knows the end from the beginning and the beginning from the end, because He has declared them.

The account of Hezekiah was God's way of causing Hezekiah to repent. But God knew he would all along. God works through means.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm hearing, "from our perspective" and "God takes on human attributes" and other excuses so people can cling to their Calvinist determinism.

Is the Bible the Word of God or not? Isn't every thing in the Bible profitable for doctrine and reproof?

So here's a passage that CLEARLY says that God heard Hezekiah's prayer and changed His mind yet almost everyone in this thread is having a conniption fit trying to make the verses say something else.

The lesson is that God does answer prayer. There are many, many verses that state this. Hezekiah's experience confirms It.

John 16:24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

John 14:14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

John 5:4-15. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

So why do people want to add, "but" and "except" and "it really means" when it comes to Isaiah 38? Pretty sure the passage reads exactly how God wants it to read and it doesn't need a bunch of qualifying statements surrounding it!

15. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had Psychology 101 in college, and during that semester, we studied that when two individuals conversed with each other, the one with the highest IQ had to come down to the level of the one with the lesser IQ. It's like kids, for instance. You start out with basic '1+1=2' and not 'xy+2z=172'. God has to come down to our level if we are to understand what He is conveying through His word. We do not have God's 'IQ', so it's impossible to learn about Him at His level. He has/had to come down to our level of IQ.

God told Isaiah to tell Hezekiah what He was going to do. Hezekiah repented and God relented. But God knew all along what Hezekiah would do, and by those means, He caused Hezekiah to repent. Same with Ninevah. God knew they would repent at the proclamation of Jonah, and they did. But God knew all along what they would do. God used those means to accomplish His sovereign will.

16. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it fair to say that God lied when He made an emphatic, unqualified statement through the prophet ?

Hezekiah was told "You Will Die, and not live"

God spoke it, knowing full well it was false?

17. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't a false statement. Without repentance Hezekiah would have died. God knew the affliction would bring him to repentance. If God wanted to strike him dead, there would have been no warning. It would have been like the death of Herod Agrippa. Opportunities for repentance aren't to change God's mind, but ours.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why doesn't the Bible say something like, "And so the Lord added 15 years onto Hezehiah's life because He knew Hezekiah would pray for mercy." ?

Does the Bible say what God intended or are we supposed to figure out what is really being said?

This kind of contortion to get God's Word to fit into a particular systematic theology is erroneous.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it hard to accept McCree79, that you do not know what exhaustive determinism is? It is Calvinism's God predestines whatsoever comes to pass. Nothing happens because of the autonomous choices of people, or by chance circumstance. Call it "Closed Theism."

Cognitive Dissonance anybody?

God ordains, predestines and causes our each and every sin, yet is not the author of sin, nor controlling our will. Yep, got it!!!!!!

#39 Van, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinist: "It is a mystery."

(I am wondering why none of them has invoked "it's a mystery" for this passage from Isaiah.)