1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can this become our sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Servent, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Servent

Servent Member

Exo. 20:7 Tho shall not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that takes His name in vain.

Col. 3:8 But now ye also put off all these, wrath, malice, balsphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth .

First I try very hard never to use God's name in anyway that does not bring honor to Him, also I try very hard never to use foul language, also when someone else does I try to correct them or walk away.

My question is if you dont or cant walk away (Your boss for example) or you dont change the channel on the T.V. or walk out of the movie, Can this become your sin.

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does something you boss says become filthy communication out of YOUR mouth?

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I have had to let my boss know that the bad language is offensive to me on occation.

I think if we watch TV at all you will be exposed the the words. So the bigger ? may be if you know this should you turn the thing on?

But to directrly answer your question. "can this become your sin?" I say yes.

4. Servent

Servent Member

I have made it know to my bosses that I dont approve of our use that type of language, they still do it could it become my sin for not leaving

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Servent,

no I don't think so. We are never held responsible for the actions of those around us, only for our reaction to it. I don't see where God says you have to leave your job because of a boss who has a filthy mouth.

6. Servent

Servent Member

As far as my boss goes I walk away when I can.
    I also try to stay away from movies that use bad language but sometimes one will slip through, do you belive a person should walk out or stay.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well, I don't go to movie theaters, so I can shut off the movie with bad language in it, or I can turn on my TVGuardian. Its been very effective.

But Im not all that committed to my TV, anyway.

As to people using bad language around me, Ive found that if I can extricate myself from the situation it is a wise thing to do, if only to protect your own mind from having that sort of thing in it. I think the only way it could become your own sin is if you let it in so much that it starts to come OUT of your own mouth.

8. Servent

Servent Member

Can you tell me more about the TV guardian, I have heard of it but dont know how it works. I myself like to watch older movies most of mine are B&W, my wife likes the food channel, I would like to find out more about it for our kids.

9. Servent

Servent Member

Can you tell me more about the TV guardian, I have heard of it but dont know how it works. I myself like to watch older movies most of mine are B&W, my wife likes the food channel, I would like to find out more about it for our kids.

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

We have an older model TVGuardian, there may have been improvements in newer models, I don't know. But with ours, there are different settings. You can set it to mute out any bad words, or to mute them and caption the meaning across the screen. I don't think it works on video tapes, only on actual TV programming. And of course, it does not take care of objectionable pictures within the program, either.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Anything can become a sin if it is abused. But simply being in the presence of sin does not make you guilty of partaking in the sin. It's really a case by case situation, however.

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John but if you know you will be in the presence and you have control of the particular situation. What should a person do then?

13. Joanna

Joanna New Member

If your boss won't quit using bad language after you've asked, you still need to let him know perhaps by the way you look at him that you disapprove. I can relate to that as I've been around people that cursed and when I said something about it, they did it more to irk me perhaps, or just to show that they can say what they want.
    As for the TV, I don't have one (only a disabled one for viewing the odd video) and that suits me fine! Don't go to movies either. Any bad langauge on the radio and I switch it off. I do think that listening to bad language and not doing what we can about it is sinful. Besides it makes us less sensitive to sin if we hear it all the time.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

wellllll

I started to say no and quote the passage in the OT when the king ordered the prophet to lie and the prophet lied.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Then I looked at your occupation.

And well, you chose to be in an occupation that is not known for clean language.

So, if you are in an environment that you CAN change. And you choose not to change jobs ...

Wellllll That little OT prophet continued on and still did his "job", but it sounds like your situation is really bothering you. I might suggest a job or career change.

I will be praying for you.

Wayne

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

El Guero,

Im sorry, but electricians are not known for clean language? When you said that about him choosing that occupation, I thought, sailor, military (sorry military people), but I really honestly did not think of electrician! lol

I should think that that wouldn't necessarily come with the job.

17. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

You ever had a helper throw a breaker on while you were still installing the last receptacle?

18. Servent

Servent Member

True I do work construction I have been doing this type of work since I was 12, my work is not an issue, no it does not bother me I know were I am with Christ,I really was woundering what others thought about this.

19. Servent

Servent Member

You ever had a helper throw a breaker on while you were still installing the last receptacle? </font>[/QUOTE]Yes

20. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Servent, you answered the question I actually addressed to bapmom--but it was asked in fun, so I didn't expect a real answer. The implication was that, if you've ever had a bozo shock the fire out of you, you'd understand why bad language might go with the job.

But all of the trades have this possibility. All of life, really. I've often compared the pain and misery of working with my hands to that of pastoring and I always conclude "This is easier than pastoring."

My opinion about your situation is that, so long as you make your wishes known, you bear no repsonsibility for the cussing of others and it does not implicate you. If you work hard and responsibly, their estimation of you is higher than they're letting on, and their respect is higher than you'd think from their behavior. When they have a family member facing major surgery, whom do you think they're gonna be coming to asking for prayer?

From time to time you can probably find opportunities to renew your request. "I really wish y'all would ease up on the cussing around me. It hurts."