1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can we afford Obama?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://us-president.suite101.com/article.cfm/us_president_elect_obama_and_federal_spending

According to the National Taxpayers Union tallies as of Sept. 25 (preceding the bailouts), Obama's proposals would increase federal spending by about $293 billion total in the first year alone.

The tally would be even higher without a key part of his plan--an $72.67 billion decrease in defense spending.

These figures were calculated from hundreds of Obama's own words, government estimates, and results of equivalent legislation. Important to remember is the simple fact that the more the government spends, the more revenue it needs.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I repeat.

Obama will never, ever, operate from the center.

You are dreaming if you think he is or ever will.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The economic mess restricts any new spending programs. Any new spending will have to be postponed/scaled back/cancelled altogether as long as the economic crisis lasts.

Fortunately, President-elect Obama has shown a willingness to adjust his proposals to events on the ground, unlike some right-wingers.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has been operating from the center since becoming President-elect. That is undeniable by any reasonable person.

Therefore, carpro, you are wrong...again.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three pages into the thread, you are looking more like an artful dodger than anything else, Ken.

You have not made one concrete recommendation for how to pay for all of Obama's plans.

I'm not surprised, since he hasn't either.

You're concentrating on generalizations and insults, Ken, because when it comes to the details, you're worse than Obama.

You just flat don't have any.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have explained it to you twice in this thread already, carpro, but as usual you won't accept the truth. Here it is for a third time:

The economic mess restricts any new spending programs. Any new spending will have to be postponed/scaled back/cancelled altogether as long as the economic crisis lasts.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The president elect's inexperience is still an issue. Knowing the current state of affairs he was either unwise, or purposefully deceptive to make such proposals. He can choose all of the wise, sage advisers he wants, he should not have laid out proposals he knew he could not hold to.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Snipped per warning in post #2. The Obama programmes are the topic of this thread.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How was he to know months or evern two years ago what kind of economic mess we would be in on November 25, 2008?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Tax and spend is not wise, no matter what the economy. He has been a tax and spend economic liberal all along.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beats the conservative idea of borrow and spend.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Roger,
    Which do you think does more damage, your post above, or spend and increase the national debt without a care for a balanced budget?

I do not think either is good, but printing endless money and unlimited debt ceilings seems more damaging to me, as at least tax and spend has some chance of a balanced budget. Neither should be allowed.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sadly, unless his advisers over rule him, we are looking at tax, borrow, and spend. There has never been a time when conservative fiscal leadership is required.

My hope is that cooler heads will prevail and Obama will be reined in.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course. President Obama has a real chance to make a difference, but if he carries through with his promises we are not going to see it.

Again - I do find a glimmer of hope in the help he is seeking.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has been nothing the appointments or the statements that the president-elect has made since election day that warrants such an extreme statement on your part. There is no indication since election day that Barack needs to be reined in. I hope that the clueless right-wing posts in this forum aren't clouding your judgment.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I have opposed Obama and his policies from Day One. I do hope that the philosophy espoused through the campaign will be tempered by his appointments.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been so far. I see no reason to expect that to change. :thumbs:

The good of the country has to be placed above any political ideology or any campaign rhetoric.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Excellent point - lets hope it continues

19. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yes, to answer your question, we can afford Obama.

This letter you posted was from March 08, and since then things have changed, so I can easily see Obama stepping back and "breaking" some promises he made on the campaign trail to be able to try to fix this economy. I quote breaking because I am sure some will see this as him flip/flopping even though it's the right thing to do.

Had McCain been elected he would have had to do the same thing. His promises on the campaign trail would have had to take a back seat to this mess we're in.

We have and will continue to live through each President and their direction they take this country.. We will make it though this one just as we have through Bush, Clinton and all the others...

Until we as a people find, and support good people we will have to endure what we're left with.. The sad part is 2 years, 4 years from now people won't even remember long enough to make good choices when supporting the smaller/less known/better candidates and we once again will be left holding the bag no matter who gets elected...

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Since we really don't know anything about Obama, rather than his shady associations, I doubt that question can be answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.