1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can you be...

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 27, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

87 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I doubt it but it is possible.

11 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. wifenmother

wifenmother New Member

I attend a fundamental baptist church, but I try very hard not to adopt an overly legalistic point of view. In my (fairly young) Christian viewpoint, I believe that Christ spent a lot of time rebuking the then religious "elite" for adhering to their rules instead of seeking an actual relationship with their Creator.

God is always more concerned with our motives and our hearts. While there are things that are clearly right and wrong, a pure heart is ultimately what the Lord seeks from us.

2. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Not a Fundamentalist

Dude, you have just described every legalist I know. Legalism is not constrianed to the IFB's only, there are a great many friends of legalism in the A.G. church and others. You do not describe a fundamentalist, you describe the opinions of man caught in the stupidity of negative progress. They still think that you can do things as they were done 75 years ago. Go to a real IFB church that understands the difference between today and 75 years ago and you will see that you can still be an IFB and not be a legalist.

3. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The No's of Funnymentalism

If I upset an apple-cart with this then so be it. In your two No answers, they completely complement one another and explain very much of some of the posting that I have seen. It would explain why there is a problem with IFB churches. My personal conclusion would be that you are not a Fundamentalist. The sad part is in light of the OP, you could still be a legalist. Ultimately, legalism is about man's opinion and the imposition of that said opinion upon the lives of others.

4. Orion41

Orion41 New Member

Just a thought, but being a "fundie," as I've been called before, means that I take the Word of God literally correct? Maybe I'm a little odd, but I don't mind being labeled as long as it fits. I do believe that the majority of the Bible should be taken literally, although parts of Psalms are poetic in nature and it seems to me should be taken metaphorically, and some of Paul's Epistles seem to be more so the Christians can fit into the society well enough to reach others. For example:

1Co 9:19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.
    1Co 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;
    1Co 9:21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.
    1Co 9:22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.

Something that's bothered me recently along this same line is that I've been called legalistic before, and knowing that's wrong I don't want to be that. How would ya'll define that?

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Orion41.

Welcome to the Baptist Board! I hope you'll be blessed and be a blessing.:wavey:

If you'll read this whole thread I think you'll find some good definitions of legalism. Also, if you'll look back, occasionally on this sub-forum there have been discussions of what it means to be a Fundamentalist. Or, you can start a new thread with your particular questions and we'll have some fun!

God bless!

John :type:

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

sadly this is not what many people mean by legalism. When the word "legalistic" is flung at us, it usually is in regards to standards....and usually standards which we apply to OURSELVES.

As you stated before, legalism is when standards or rules (opinions) are elevated to the level of salvation-earning....legalism is 'works salvation.' This is why it is such an affront to us fundamentalists when it is applied to us simply because we believe in some stricter standards.

It is very 'easy' to be a fundamentalist without being a legalist. It is always rather offensive to me when we are lumped together with legalism, as this thread seems to be implying.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If we were to have to use a word for what fundamentalists are often accused of I think a better choice than legalism would be galatianism.

I think legalism does have a broader meaning than just works for salvation, but can also apply to works which are an attempt to please or placate God. However, what Paul writes about in Galatians is more apt to describe what, whether justified or not, some fundamentalists are accused of.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Your Information

I moved Orion's post to this thread from another thread in this forum. It was somewhat nonsequetorial in the original thread. I thought it fit better here.
    That means Orion didn't read the previous posts to this thread.

9. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I sure hope not..

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Say brother,

Could you clarify this for us please? It sounds like you see legalism as a positive thing and almost synonymous with fundamentalism from this post.

11. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

What, you all don't?

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If by this (please use the quote feature and snip as needed) you mean Fundamentalism equals legalism and that legalism is a good thing, the answer is no. Roger and I do not think Fundamentalism equals legalism. We also do not think legalism is a good thing.

If I did not understand your question, please clarify.

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Williams, maybe this will help you. Here is the commonly accepted definition of legalism I gave on page 1: “Legalism is a slavish following of the laws in the belief that one thereby earns merit; it also entails a refusal to go beyond the formal or literal requirements of the law” (Christian Theology, 2nd ed., by SBC theologian Millard Erickson, p. 990).

I'm pretty sure you don't believe in legalism by this definition--unless you are a Seventh Day Baptist, maybe. :smilewinkgrin: We can believe in Fundamentalist standards of dress, behavior, etc., without being legalists. Unfortunately, many non-Fundamentalist Christians have invented a new meaning for legalist: anyone who believes in personal separation.

14. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Legalist isn't in my 1828... i'm at a loss...

15. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Legally Keeping your salvation

In the strictest sense, yes that is what legalism means, working for your salvation in addition to God's work of Grace. However, the more damning definition refers to the attitude that my opinion is God given so it is just as if it is scripture (no matter how I arrived at this opinion and how I erred in scriptural interpretation) and you have to live up to it or you cannot possibly be right with God or a follower of Christ. My standard determine your righteousness.

It is a way that immature spiritual leaders keep their people from growing up in grace and knowing the true freedom we have in Christ. Ultimately it is not about the betterment of fellow believers, legalism is about controlling as many as possible and making them act their way and not the way of the Spirit.

16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Caner's definition of a legalist: A Christian who thinks they are trying to get you to be more like God, when actually they are trying to get you to be more like themselves instead!

Our church secretary fits that definition to a tee.

I don't, and I am a fundamentalist.

Debbie Mc

17. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

I am a fundamentalist, I even bleed fundamentalism, but I abhor legalism.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Legalism? Double standard!

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

They watched TV at home instead of going a movie somewhere. They are :eek: TV watchers. Big eyes!

20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

If you are an "ex-fundy" what are you now?I voted yes btw, assuming fundamentalism is understood properly and legalism is understood properly.