1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can you claim your family for God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Oct 25, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

I just came across this verse here and somehow it's simply so frustrating.
    Some christians claim that you can use these promises and get your family saved. They even make it look as if it's absolutely sure. All you have to do is stand on the promises and pray the right prayers and then they will be saved.
    But others say that this verse means something totally different and that they are using it out of context. It's simply always the same. Some christians say this and others say something else. How can you have faith in something when you don't even know what it means? What if this verse really means that you can get your whole family saved and Satan laughs about the christians which say that it means something else? What if this is his strategy? Simply always saying: "Nah, this means something totally different, it doesn't mean that you can get your whole family saved." What if this is his strategy? Always coming like a grinch and planting doubts about what a verse really means under the cover of being "accurate" or "scriptural"? What if this is his tactic? Doing as if he wants to help us "understand" what the bible "really" means and the truth is that he simply destroys all promises and says "No, this means this and that."
    I mean isn't it exactly this way? No matter which promise you take wether it is Isaiah 53:5 or this one here it's always the same. Some christians say it means what it says while others say: "Nah, it means something different." And then you stand there looking pretty dumb. :confused:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

ask your mentor . . .

:thumbs:

3. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

II Timothy 3:16 is a good starting place. But, then, you've been given valid instruction and it appears not to have taken. Please be discerning, find a mentor (as just suggested) and know there are people praying for your peace of mind.

4. genesis 12-15

genesis 12-15 New Member

Satan does inject all kinds of confusion into the lives of those who are babes in Christ, those who are not well-grounded in the Gospel, and even those who have lived a lifetime worshipping at the feet of Jesus.

In this case the writer could have written, "Accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and through your witness your family will be saved, as well." So first comes faith, one believing that what is written in the bible is true. Believing that, one accepts Jesus Christ, knowing that through his or her witness and the working of the Holy Spirit, the entire family is going to come under His influence.

The verse does not mean that only one person in the family has to accept Christ, and then all other family members will automatically be counted as Christians. A careful study of the plan of salvation will reveal this truth to you.

And I agree. Be cautious who you listen to. The Word of God is near you, right there in that book, and there are brothers and sisters in Christ who are well-grounded in the faith. A Mentor is indicated in many cases.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Does this mean that if my family does not get saved then it's my fault because I wasn't a good witness? :eek:

6. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

No. Search the scriptures. You won't find that nonsense anywhere in there.