1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can you see Idol worship, and error here?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ituttut, Dec 25, 2010.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

What the world, certain churches and individuals will believe, just as they have been told before what to believe.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/mystery-of-the-magi-23613928

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The report contains a modicum of error. I'm not sure what you saw there that you regard as idol worship.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am not quite sure either, about the point of the OP. Is it that there are "liberal" biblical scholars who approach their profession on a purely natural and intellectual manner?

4. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Perhaps the OP is about how people might come and touch the star emblem that shows where Jesus was placed after his birth?

The liberal scholar part that says that ALL religions are Christian ones is a mite off.

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

It was of interest, but as you say the image of the star, and the aura it has for some can easily worship that "star". But also on the way to see where the Star Child was actually laying (Ha! Ha!), we must pass all of the images they show us. Is it good that we need things we can see in order to worship Him in Spirit?

I look at it as "What is the object of our affections." An image that we can see and feel, or a conversation with our Lord.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I see what you are implying and you’re not entirely wrong. However, being human, we just don’t function that way. We put up crosses in and on our churches. We hang pictures of Jesus in prominent places. Our WMU room has a picture of Lottie Moon hanging on the wall. Many of us even display the American and Christian flags on the pulpit. I would hardly call these idols, although each one of them reminds us of the thing it represents.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

It is as you say, we are human, and live in this world. So we many times do just as the rest of the world, or other religions.

Should one ask," who is that man in the picture in that prominent place"? Will you tell the person (child or adult), "that man you see in the picture is Jesus?

We know what of "Lottie Moon" looked like.